-------------------------------------------------
http://www.teamorganicnyc.com
Sponsored by: TBA
Last edited by: njmtbbg: Sep 1, 05 19:54
Quote Reply
Re: Philadelphia Triathlon - 11/20 [njmtbbg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you mean the Marathon...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Philadelphia Marathon (doh) - 11/20 [njmtbbg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did it a couple of years ago. The course is generally flat with one significant hill and a few other shorter ones and it takes you through a variety of scenery (most of it pretty nice, except for the anti-abortion protester at mile 15). After the first couple of miles, things were not too crowded. Race organization and expo were pretty good and there were many places to stay close to the start/finish downtown. I'd recommend the race.

http://www.bytowntriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did this a few years ago, and really enjoyed the course. As mentioned there is one hill of note at about 9 miles, but it is not too steep or long. The vast majority is pancake flat with the exception of a little incline heading from Penn up past the zoo (Mile 6 or 7 I believe) and climbing a highway on/off ramp coming out of Manayunk (Mile 21 or so). It is a medium sized marathon so you are always running with someone but unlike Boston/NYCM/Chicago it isn't shoulder to shoulder the whole way. 1st 10 miles are through center city and the historic areas, last 16 are in Fairmount Park along the Schuylkill. The very last 10 are an out and back out to Manayunk where there is usually a big crowd to cheer the runners on. Other than that the crowd support is a bit spotty, unless you count the wacko abortion protesters at Mile 14/25 with huge graphic signs that are there every year.

I highly recommend it.

-------------
"Knowledge is good" - Emil Faber
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did it last year and the above posts are accurate but there were no anti-abortion protesters that I saw. Some of the course is boring but worthwhile. I would recommend it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done this race three times (2000, 2001 and 2004), really like the course and am planning on doing it this year as well. The abortion protestors did not attend any of the races that I ran. I would agree with most of what the other posters said, with one caveat. The course gets a little rolling between 18 and 22, and that was difficult the first time I did it. I'm not sure if I was just better prepared the last two times or just expected the course to do what it does, but they did not bother me at all in 2001 or 2004.
Quote Reply
Re: Philadelphia Marathon (doh) - 11/20 [CTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This can be a long, cold day. Not sure about other years, but temperature was below freezing in 2000.

Don't throw away your gloves!
Quote Reply
Re: Philadelphia Marathon (doh) - 11/20 [cmsc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear those guys gave it a rest

-------------
"Knowledge is good" - Emil Faber
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done the race every year since 1997, except for 1998 when I was pregnant. The course descriptions are accurate. It seems to me that there are more supporters out there each year cheering people on in Center City, the Art Museum area and Manayunk, though supporters are nearly non-existent on the road along the river out to Manayunk and back. It can be quite cold, especially before the race and afterward, when you've had a chance to cool down. However, the weather is otherwise perfect for marathons, in my opinion - usually high 40's, late 50's once the sun has had a chance to warm things up a little. The anti-abortion folks have been there for at least the last three years. I don't know how anyone could miss them, unless they're only out there for a short time each year and I've had the bad luck to come across them each year. I don't think they're endearing their cause to anyone with their method of protest. Anyway, it's a good race with good volunteer support on the course, and I'd recommend it, too.
Quote Reply