Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Peter Reid facts...
Quote | Reply
Selected Career Highlights:
1998, 2000 & 2003 Ironman Triathlon World Champion
2nd Place 1999, 2002 & 2004 Ironman Triathlon World Chapionships
2-Time Ironman Canada Champion (2000-01)
3-Time Champion Ironman Australia (1997-99)
1998, 1999 & 2000 Triathlete of the Year
Champion 1999 Ironman Austria
3rd Fastest Ironman Ever 7:51:56
Fastest Ironman Run Ever 2:35:21

I got this off the Specialized site---> can anyone confirm thar PR has run a 2:35 in an IM? Wow!
Quote Reply
Re: Peter Reid facts... [Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the 7:51 and the 2:35 were at the same race; IM austria. i think heather fuhr ran a 2:51 that year.

there were a ton of guys going really fast around that time - roth had started producing some impressive splits, and austria too. definitely a huge performance - there was some question about the course at austria that year, though, i think . . .

-mike

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Peter Reid facts... [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Were they testing for EPO in 1999?

Live long and surf!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my friend olaf was second there in 99. he said the run was about 1.8km short. he ran a 2h41 that day
Quote Reply
Re: Peter Reid facts... [stevebs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, i wasn't going to go there, but to be honest i'm not sure. maybe it was just a different time - the style of racing seemed a bit more balls-off at the IM-distance and less tactical than it does now.

guy like lothar and thomas were going sub-8, jurgen was ripping the lid off everything, luc van lierde was in his prime and going wildly fast, and even guys who now don't get talked about much, like andreas neidrig, were putting up absolutely incredible times. sub-8 and he was 'just another german.' even, as we've said, peter reid was in on the game.

i know that, at one point, detlef kuhnel had posted 100 000 euros for whoever broke the world record at roth. and definitely fast athletes beget more fast athletes. so who knows. i'm sure others on here would have more insights.

-mike

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Peter Reid facts... [stevebs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this is a cheap reply.... you need to give respect to these guys for what the accomplished. Peter said the course was short by a lot! and he know he didnt run that fast, for roth well the amount of motorcycle on a narrow bike course that also had suspect lenght help a lot to make the time faster....but other than these 2 races, times havent been ridiculously fast....

when someone like Peter, Thomas... accomplish something great...there is 2 choice...recognize the hard work ethic and dedication that these athlete have put in or say that they cheated. IT s easier to say they cheated as it make people feel better about it...and knowing peter...he simply out work anyone and that the secret of is success....i just wish i was that kind of hard worker....i still dont know anyone that come close to him on that aspect.

jonathan

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Peter Reid facts... [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually Olaf told me that he and Peter were laughing about the run splits that year and how short the run was. They both said about less than 2km. Olaf estimated his split as a tad under 2h50' and Peter a tad under 2h43' which is still VERY fast.
But there were something like 30 guys under 3hrs.

The race were Heather Fuhr ran 2h50 wasn't Austria though. It was Zurich. That was in 1998. That year there were also 30 guys under 3hrs, with Bernhard in 2h40, Buquet in 2h41' and I think Kropko in 2h39.
HF ran 2h50. And yes, it was short. That's what Christophe Buquet said anyway (he was 2nd).

It's a constant in triathlon...who can forget Carol Montgomery running 10km off the bike 1' faster than a fresh Gebre in Perth ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Peter Reid facts... [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]
It's a constant in triathlon...who can forget Carol Montgomery running 10km off the bike 1' faster than a fresh Gebre in Perth ;-)[/reply]

...and next day they had the men run the originally planed 4 laps... ;-)

Axel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I want to hear some Peter Reid Training Stories if anyone has some.....(hours, miles, weeks....those type of numbers would be awesome....or maybe some of the training that he did this spring that he got so sick from.....or something about the bike volume he was doing before his first retirement)

please...a good PR story will make my day.

Ruble Triathlon Coaching Average of 30 coached PR's per year
Florida Triathlon Camps Train in North Americas winter training destination
Ruble Racing Events Midwest Triathlon Racing
Ruble Timing Midwest Event Timing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Peter Reid was doing some of his swim training with my specially made forearm swim paddles. One of my swimmers was at a clinic he was giving and asked her if he could use them. She gave them to him.

These paddles focus on pushing water back with your hand and forearm. It's design supports modern day swimmiing.

dougStern
Quote Reply
Re: Peter Reid facts... [DougStern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whilst were on Reid, does anyone know how tall and what bike size he rides? TT length etc. Just curious
Quote Reply
Re: Peter Reid facts... [BIGZACH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's one: Doing a training ride in Tucson, we realize at mile 60 - just as we're getting ready to head up Mt. Lemmon - that Peter has the keys to the support van in his pocket. The van was parked about 30 miles back, the driver likely wondering what the hell happened to the keys.

Everyone is out of water (we were expecting the van to be at the bottom of Mt. Lemmon so we could refill). Peter turns around and does the 60 mile out-and-back in 90+ degree weather, sans water and food, to return the keys. We didn't see him again (we weren't going to wait), but I know he ended up returning to Mt. Lemmon for a quick ride up it. I think his mileage that day was around 160.
Last edited by: jhendric: Dec 7, 05 7:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doug - are the forearm paddles like the ones that used to be commercially available some years back?

I would love to see your design!
Quote Reply
Re: Peter Reid facts... [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
there were a ton of guys going really fast around that time - roth had started producing some impressive splits, and austria too. definitely a huge performance - there was some question about the course at austria that year, though, i think . . .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mac,

They are the same.

I had a few pairs left over from 25 years ago and tried to buy more.

No one sells or makes them. I brought the design to a fabricator and made 100 pairs. I use them in my classes.

DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks doug - I was just talking about those paddles (and finger tip paddles) the other day to another coach. We were wondering if anyone still made them! What is ironic is - we decided to try a make some ourselves too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
...and, to everyone's surprise he does put his pants on one leg at a time.