Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Personal Injury Settlements... your experience [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Again, it is impossible to give an opinion over the internet, but, the factors raised in your attorney's analysis are the things that affect how much money a personal injury case is worth and are the primary factors used in evaluating a settlement offer. I don't know the facts of course but he is at least using the language a competent attorney would use.
Quote Reply
Re: Personal Injury Settlements... your experience [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
your lawyer shouldve started by asking for the entire amount the policy was worth. You will move in $'s while the insurance companies moves in cents and by starting so low you got hurt.Your lawyer should also have negotiated with your PIP provider to bring down medical and put more in your pocket. Get a new lawyer and best of luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
You are a lawyer in NM?

He definitely hasn't mentioned anything about a deposition... or arbitration or mediation. Even if those are part of the process here, we just filed suit a couple months ago. Is it possible that these occur much later? He told me it would likely be over a year from now before a trial would happen.

If I get a new lawyer... who am I going to get? I'd need a lawyer who is considerably "hungrier" than this guy, and willing to do a lot of work for a *chance* at a modest reward. And then I still have to pay this guy.

Sorry mate, not a NM lawyer. A decent one should not be hard to find. Talk to a couple. They should be willing to give you a half hour to sit down and discuss it. If not, you do not want them. THe key is that you understand every aspect of what is going on in your case...the strategy, the time line, the process, the valuation, who the lawyer and decision makers are on the other side, even how this lawyer approaches trial. This man (or woman) has an important part of your future in his or her hands. They are obligated to answer your questions. The actual values of a case are very fact specific and no one on here can give you advice on that point. However, as I said before, the most troubling aspect of your case is not the value. Rather it is the fact you have no idea what is going on. He works for you. Get answers or get rid of him. Tomorrow (or as soon as you find a new counsel).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting to read this thread, as I was just hit by a small motorbike while I was riding on Sunday. I'm in Canada, so my experience will probably vary greatly from yours. Best of luck with your case. (I am by no means a legal expert, but I would agree with the others who say find a new lawyer!)

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Have you ever been in an accident where you were injured and received a settlement for personal injury? If so, can you briefly describe the circumstances (the accident, your injuries and treatment, lawyer or no?) and how much you received?

Because... I have a big decision to make by tomorrow...

Nearly 3 years ago I was hit directly from behind by a pickup on the highway... old guy, says he didn't see me... he stopped which was nice. Surreal experience. Thought I was dead initially, because the sensation of impact (~40mph speed differential) was insane... but 5 hrs and many x-rays later the emergency room declared that miraculously nothing was broken... just a badly wrenched back (severe spasms anytime I moved), smashed elbow, lots of bruising and soft tissue damage and a turn signal light stuck in my hip...

The guys insurance company (Geico) was very friendly and cooperative at first, and I'm not fond of lawyers and lawsuits... so I didn't get a lawyer. I got physical therapy and a lot of chiropractic treatment for my back, and seemed to be making good. A year later my elbow was still not fully healed, and I was occasionally experiencing bad back spasms which would put me down for a couple days. It was right after one of these that Geico made their friendly call to see how I was doing... and informed me that they were done paying.

After the wtf?! shock was over I eventually got a lawyer. He indicated that he thought it would be an easy case. I've continued chiropractic treatment, along with daily exercises and traction, and several deep tissue massage sessions. I have improved quite a lot in the last year. I can do nearly everything I did before the accident with relatively minor pain.

A couple months back my lawyer made an initial settlement offer of $40k. My expenses (nearly all medical) were $13k to date, so this is about 3x. The lawyer gets 1/3 which would have left me with $13k over bills for pain and suffering and future expenses. Geico countered with $15k... and wouldn't budge... until my lawyer filed suit. Now they are up to $18.5k... and my lawyer wants me to take it. After his fee and the bills that leaves me with essentially.... nothing. For whatever reason my lawyer doesn't want to mess with the case, but he won't tell me why. Well, he says it isn't worth more than that... but it seems like an incredibly lame settlement to me. After everything and likely a lifetime of dealing with a bad back and elbow, I should be getting nothing? And no, I don't have insurance that will take care of future expenses either.

Its over, your attorney won't be willing to take them to trial. He may be able to get them to come up a little but that's it. Basically its a game of attorney threatens to go to trial which will likely cost Geico 100-200k and they offer x amount knowing your attorney has little to no trial experience or desire to actually go. The big trial lawyers seldom mess with the offense side of these things, they work for Geico and bill $500 an hour.
Quote Reply
Re: Personal Injury Settlements... your experience [Grindcore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude, where do you get that? Insurance defense counsel are among the lowest paid in the industry. Many GEICO lawyers are staff counsel grinding it out for less than $100,000 even after years of experience. I know because I get their resumes, and many insurance companies I work for pay less than $200 an hour. Even when I take higher end cases like nursing homes and legal malpractice cases the rate is so far below $500 an hour as to make your comment nonsense. Now, I am not saying I am not making a fine living. I am--even Obama thinks I am wealthy. But it is simply ridiculous to think that defense counsel in a rear end motor vehicle case is making $500 an hour. Where the hell do you even come up with that? Watching "The Verdict"? I guess this is how Slowtwitch works. Lots of experts out there. I just hope the training advice dispensed on this site is better than the legal advice. Somehow, although you would think it would be, I get the idea training advice is developed with the same lack of intellectual rigor as some of the posts on this thread.

Sorry to be so bitchy. Have not had my coffee yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Personal Injury Settlements... your experience [sinkinswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just hope the training advice dispensed on this site is better than the legal advice. Somehow, although you would think it would be, I get the idea training advice is developed with the same lack of intellectual rigor as some of the posts on this thread.

Your intuition is pretty good.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
You can always get a new lawyer. If you don't like/trust someone handling something like this for you, then you should find someone else.

How does that work? I signed a contract so I thought I was stuck with him... stuck with paying him at least.

And, the 6 month gap will probably work against you, because that opens the door to claims that there were other causes in the interim.

Yes... as my lawyer keeps reminding me. But it is hard for me to believe that the clear facts of the accident... that I was directly impacted on my body by a truck traveling at high speeds... would lead someone to the conclusion that I healed up perfectly, and I'm faking it... or something *else* is the cause. It was a miracle that I wasn't killed or at least more seriously injured. A 100% recovery with no lingering effects would be an additional miracle on top of that.

You can bail on the contract at any time. The atty will likely retain a contingent interest on whatever future recovery you make, but it won't be the initial agreed upon 33.33%-40%. That said, you need to either find out why he won't take it to trial and if not satisfied START SHOPPING FOR LAWYERS NOW. I am a Texas personal injury/criminal defense attorney and while it is impossible to eval your claim based ONLY on the internets, the way that I handle my cases and evaluate potential cases, the demand was too low. You're not stuck with that demand. You can hire a new trial attorney (if the SOL has not run) and either try to settle it pre-trial or go to trial and prove your damages. Texas is bad for paid or incurred medical damages- don't know the law in NM. That said, you will need a future medical damages expert to determine the amount of pain & suffering this will cause you in the future and the likely medical bills you'll incur to deal with this. It's not a slam dunk but if you find a good PI lawyer they can get it done.

PM if you want to talk more or if you tell me what city you're in in NM I can possibly point you to some attorneys to talk with. Either way you need to explore all of your options and not be forced into a decision because once you settle it is forever. If they determine that your elbow will never be healed or back requires extensive treatment, you can never go back to GEICO. And btw- geico is one of the worst out there. They lie cheat and steal to avoid paying claims.

Good luck and PM if you want to .
Quote Reply
Re: Personal Injury Settlements... your experience [sinkinswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had a long talk with my lawyer yesterday... starting with saying no way on taking $18.5k, because that totally sucks, and then explaining how I understand why going forward from this point probably doesn't make financial sense for *him*... but I want to go to a jury trial if necessary and I need him to prepare a good case and back me up. He dismissed the idea that he cared about the money (sure), and stated that it actually didn't make financial sense for *me*. He thought a jury verdict in the $20-$30k range was most likely, and could be less.... and that I'd accumulate a bunch of expenses in addition... especially if I hired an "expert witness" to state that the physical damage would likely cause issues for the rest of my life. I'd have to pay these expenses myself. In addition in NM if the jury award is *less* than the offer I got from Geico, I'd have to pay 2x Geico's expenses for going to trial. So if something weird happens, and the jury doesn't give me anything because they think riding a bike on the road is insane and an accident waiting to happen, I could end up really deep in the hole.

I told him I wanted to do it anyway... without an expert witness. Just tell the story straight up. I wouldn't feel good about hiring an "expert" anyway. The jury can use their own imagination about whether I might be faking something.

But I got to thinking about what I would like to say, and wondered if I'd be able to mention Geico at all? Because the reason why it has gone this far and why it would end up in front of a jury is because they have been real jerks. The guy who hit me is a nice guy (I've talked to him a few times) and I have no problem with him. In fact if it was just the two of us, I'm pretty sure we'd come to an agreement. But the documents do say I'm suing *him*. Am I required to pretend that the insurance company doesn't exist, and make no mention of my interactions with them?

Also, since you have experience working for insurance companies... My lawyer is now telling me that he thinks they will go all the way to a trial as a matter of policy. Even if they lose a good bit of money on one case it will send a message to the industry that they are tough to deal with, which will end up saving them money in the long run.

What are Geico's lawyer's incentives on a case (are they paid hourly, or via some formula that considers the case outcome?) and are they the ones making major decisions, or do they need to get everything approved by administrators?

Oh... and about the "advice" dispensed on this site. The signal to noise ratio on this board is often very low... like the rest of the internet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
I told him I wanted to do it anyway... without an expert witness. Just tell the story straight up. I wouldn't feel good about hiring an "expert" anyway. The jury can use their own imagination about whether I might be faking something.

But I got to thinking about what I would like to say, and wondered if I'd be able to mention Geico at all? Because the reason why it has gone this far and why it would end up in front of a jury is because they have been real jerks. The guy who hit me is a nice guy (I've talked to him a few times) and I have no problem with him. In fact if it was just the two of us, I'm pretty sure we'd come to an agreement. But the documents do say I'm suing *him*. Am I required to pretend that the insurance company doesn't exist, and make no mention of my interactions with them?

I'd ask your lawyer, but *personally* I wouldn't, for fear of sounding like a whiner to the jury.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: Personal Injury Settlements... your experience [OakCliffTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That said, you will need a future medical damages expert to determine the amount of pain & suffering this will cause you in the future and the likely medical bills you'll incur to deal with this. It's not a slam dunk but if you find a good PI lawyer they can get it done.

Well... on my attorney's advice I just decided to forgo that. He mentioned that the jury would likely see through that as a ploy... which it actually is... and dismiss it. In truth no doctor can honestly say one way or the other. I haven't even gone to an MD for my back, but the evaluation of my MRI (at the place where I got it, and also by my chiropractor), is that there are issues with every vertebrae in my low back but nothing that would be a focal point for surgery. Also no way to prove the accident caused these issues. My chiropractor mentioned that my back looks better than a lot of people my age who haven't been in an accident.

PM sent...

Quote Reply
Re: Personal Injury Settlements... your experience [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wasn't planning to do any whining at all...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"He thought a jury verdict in the $20-$30k range was most likely, and could be less.... and that I'd accumulate a bunch of expenses in addition... especially if I hired an "expert witness" to state that the physical damage would likely cause issues for the rest of my life. I'd have to pay these expenses myself. In addition in NM if the jury award is *less* than the offer I got from Geico, I'd have to pay 2x Geico's expenses for going to trial. So if something weird happens, and the jury doesn't give me anything because they think riding a bike on the road is insane and an accident waiting to happen, I could end up really deep in the hole. "

If you are going to handicap your attorney by not hiring an expert to testify as to future damages and just trust the jury to understand you are setting yourself up to owe Geico a bunch of money when it is all said and done. Your attorney's explanation of the situation actually sounds quite reasonable and it could be that his biggest mistake was in not managing your expectations by having that conversation from the start. Do what you want. But don't come back here and start a thread moaning about what a useless dickhead your attorney was if you wind up losing money on the deal because you didn't heed his advise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sinkinswimmer wrote:
Dude, where do you get that? Insurance defense counsel are among the lowest paid in the industry. Many GEICO lawyers are staff counsel grinding it out for less than $100,000 even after years of experience. I know because I get their resumes, and many insurance companies I work for pay less than $200 an hour. Even when I take higher end cases like nursing homes and legal malpractice cases the rate is so far below $500 an hour as to make your comment nonsense. Now, I am not saying I am not making a fine living. I am--even Obama thinks I am wealthy. But it is simply ridiculous to think that defense counsel in a rear end motor vehicle case is making $500 an hour. Where the hell do you even come up with that? Watching "The Verdict"? I guess this is how Slowtwitch works. Lots of experts out there. I just hope the training advice dispensed on this site is better than the legal advice. Somehow, although you would think it would be, I get the idea training advice is developed with the same lack of intellectual rigor as some of the posts on this thread.

Sorry to be so bitchy. Have not had my coffee yet.

I don't have experience with Geico but I did work in a large firm. Many of the attorneys I worked for happen to charge $450-500, obviously they bill less for the associates and paralegals who actually seemed to do most of the work. Personally, I am not sure what the litigation attorneys made but it was certainly over $300. The hot shots were billing at $450-500. The point was he is not going to get much more than that initial offer unless he wants to go to trial and I doubt that his attorney will want to. I'll be surprised if he gets double...what was it $13k? $26k tops.

Congratulations on being an attorney. Please post photos of car, girlfriend and race times.
Last edited by: Grindcore: May 22, 13 13:31
Quote Reply
Re: Personal Injury Settlements... your experience [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So... it's reasonable for me to get nothing for pain and suffering for injuries that still aren't resolved, and be on the hook for future treatment or anything else that happens? Because that is precisely what Geico's offer amounts to.

From the anecodotes I've collected from people who have been in similar accidents, that isn't normal at all. It's normal to do much better without even getting an attorney.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
I wasn't planning to do any whining at all...

I didn't say you were. I was thinking of the possible perception of the jury. As I said, I would ask your lawyer. He should be prepping you anyway.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
So... it's reasonable for me to get nothing for pain and suffering for injuries that still aren't resolved, and be on the hook for future treatment or anything else that happens? Because that is precisely what Geico's offer amounts to.

From the anecodotes I've collected from people who have been in similar accidents, that isn't normal at all. It's normal to do much better without even getting an attorney.

It's law. It doesn't have much to do with what is "reasonable". Your lawyer will present your case, their lawyer will present theirs. The jury will decide. Quite a few people are telling you that the offer as it stands is not out of line, and that if you do pursue more, one possible outcome is that you don't get what you expect, and yes, you are out the other side owing more money and still on the hook for future problems.

As far as the expert witness, it's a tool in your bag. Whether or not you choose to use that tool is up to you. Yes, you can drive a metal stake into the ground with a hammer, but it probably would be more effective to spend the money for the sledge built for the job.

If you go to trial, you rolls the dice and you takes your chances. I don't think anyone here feels that you are not entitled to compensation, they are just telling you the reality of what may happen at a jury trial.

John

Quote Reply
Re: Personal Injury Settlements... your experience [Grindcore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sinkinswimmer's point is that the guys charging $450-500 an hour were not doing insurance defense work. I agree with him.

What was your position at that large firm?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So... it's reasonable for me to get nothing for pain and suffering for injuries that still aren't resolved

That would not be reasonable. But, don't just to get to demand moneyand presto, a check appears. Cases are decided on facts and insurance companies pay based on what you can prove. From what you have posted so far, your attorney has told you there are some issues with your individualized facts when applied to all three parts of your general statement on tort law. From what you outlined previously, he told you there are issues with proving a) you had significant compensable pain and suffering such that it would translate in to $$$ awarded by a jury; b) there could be some issue with proving the extent and severity of your injuries based on the type of and length of treatment you had and then stopped; and c) there are issues with proving that the injuries "aren't resolved" (ie. permanent and debilitating).

Not saying he is right. He could be blowing smoke up your butt to get you out of his office. But he also could be giving you an extremely astute evaluation of the existing facts based on years of experience with litigation these very issues in your area with, local juries and judges and with Geico. Don't know. But, you need to be comfortable. If you are not, get another opinion but get it from a lawyer who knows your area, is experienced in these types of cases and knows the actual facts. Anyone on the internet (including me) can come up with examples where folks got $0 and others got millions and everything in between. It does not mean squat. It is all about your facts and that is all that matters.

Quote Reply
Re: Personal Injury Settlements... your experience [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The point was more that the I am under the impression that the better trial attorneys tend to be on the defense side of these things, not so much what they actually make.

And I am fairly certain that what his attorney is quoting is pretty accurate as well as they know the game. I just doubt that he will be willing to go to trial...simply too small a case. But who knows...
Last edited by: Grindcore: May 22, 13 12:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:

I am sorry that you got hurt. That sucks. I lost a family member to police incompetence..actually flat out negligence. Any other agency, company, etc my family would have and should have recieved millions. But the cops mostly have immunity. When a lawyer tells you your case is worth x he's making a pretty good assessment. They know what they can get.

Sorry that you got hurt man. Sucks. They may come up a tiny bit but not very much. It's a negotiation those guys do all day long.
Last edited by: Grindcore: May 22, 13 12:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Had a long talk with my lawyer yesterday... starting with saying no way on taking $18.5k, because that totally sucks, and then explaining how I understand why going forward from this point probably doesn't make financial sense for *him*... but I want to go to a jury trial if necessary and I need him to prepare a good case and back me up. He dismissed the idea that he cared about the money (sure), and stated that it actually didn't make financial sense for *me*. He thought a jury verdict in the $20-$30k range was most likely, and could be less.... and that I'd accumulate a bunch of expenses in addition... especially if I hired an "expert witness" to state that the physical damage would likely cause issues for the rest of my life. I'd have to pay these expenses myself. In addition in NM if the jury award is *less* than the offer I got from Geico, I'd have to pay 2x Geico's expenses for going to trial. So if something weird happens, and the jury doesn't give me anything because they think riding a bike on the road is insane and an accident waiting to happen, I could end up really deep in the hole.

Also, since you have experience working for insurance companies... My lawyer is now telling me that he thinks they will go all the way to a trial as a matter of policy. Even if they lose a good bit of money on one case it will send a message to the industry that they are tough to deal with, which will end up saving them money in the long run.

What are Geico's lawyer's incentives on a case (are they paid hourly, or via some formula that considers the case outcome?) and are they the ones making major decisions, or do they need to get everything approved by administrators?

Oh... and about the "advice" dispensed on this site. The signal to noise ratio on this board is often very low... like the rest of the internet.

You're suing the driver, not the insurance company. So it's going to be the nice old man sitting at the defense table, not the GEICO lizard. That's who the jury will see if there's a trial - grandpa, not the insurance company. The case is going to be about liability and damages, not about how the insurance company is trying to pay you as little as it can. The fact that the driver has insurance (and that the company is trying to screw you, in your opinion) is irrelevant, and any references to the insurance company will in all likelihood be objected to by the defense and not allowed in the record. And to hammer that point home (especially if GEICO is playing hardball), the defense may even ask the judge in advance to grant a motion that prohibits any party from even mentioning insurance or GEICO.

But you need to talk to your lawyer about all of this. And if I am wrong on any of this, I am sure there's a lawyer or two in the house who will correct me ;-)

Mike Sparks

I have competed well, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
Quote Reply
Re: Personal Injury Settlements... your experience [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cases are decided on facts and insurance companies pay based on what you can prove.

Thank you for your insights. I'm trying to figure how I would like to present my case if it came to jury... if yourself or any other lawyers have comments, I'd appreciate them...

I can *prove* that I was struck on my hip, back, left arm and left leg, by a truck traveling at high speeds. I can prove that in the opinion of myself and the guy who hit me, I should have been killed. Both of us consider it a miracle that I wasn't. I can prove that I was strapped to a board and in the ER for 5 hrs while they took numerous xrays, and eventually declared that no bones were broken (another miracle). This isn't a case of someone being involved in a little fender-bender. Does that matter?

My rehab after that point is naturally more difficult to prove. IMO I recovered quickly, but it wasn't another miracle. After nearly 3 years and $13k in medical bills, I still have issues with my back and elbow. No one can prove that I'm still injured. No one can disprove it. Sure... maybe I can hire someone to say that I'll be injured for life and need surgery in the future, and Geico will surely hire someone to say I'm totally fine. But if I was on a jury I wouldn't give credence to either.

It seems to me that it would be very important to convince the jury that I'm not greedy and I'm not a liar. To do that I feel it would be important to discuss my interactions with Geico, because it is an key part of why I'm in court. I've been told that we are not allowed to talk about insurance... but is that only about insurance amounts, or are we required to pretend that the insurance companies don't exist at all?

Quote Reply
Re: Personal Injury Settlements... your experience [Sparks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the defense may even ask the judge in advance to grant a motion that prohibits any party from even mentioning insurance or GEICO.

That answers one of my questions. In reality I have no problem with the guy, and he has even offered to take care of me! But I have to pretend that I'm going after his money, and he has to pretend that he is defending himself from me... and this is truth and justice?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:

I can *prove* that I was struck on my hip, back, left arm and left leg, by a truck traveling at high speeds. I can prove that in the opinion of myself and the guy who hit me, I should have been killed. Both of us consider it a miracle that I wasn't. I can prove that I was strapped to a board and in the ER for 5 hrs while they took numerous xrays, and eventually declared that no bones were broken (another miracle). This isn't a case of someone being involved in a little fender-bender. Does that matter?

OK, so you got liablity nailed down, most likely. But that's not your problem. Your problem is what is the case worth? And the fact that you were not significantly injured (not downplaying your injuries, but it could have been WAY worse) actually might work against you. Had you been more seriously injured (thank god you were not) you would have had doctro visits, diagnoses, etc. Your treating physicians could have supported your case. But you don't have that.

Quote:

My rehab after that point is naturally more difficult to prove. IMO I recovered quickly, but it wasn't another miracle. After nearly 3 years and $13k in medical bills, I still have issues with my back and elbow. No one can prove that I'm still injured. No one can disprove it. Sure... maybe I can hire someone to say that I'll be injured for life and need surgery in the future, and Geico will surely hire someone to say I'm totally fine. But if I was on a jury I wouldn't give credence to either.

Unfortunately, without an expert, the need for your rehab and costs and potential of future care probably won't be admissible. You are not a doc, you can't way what it's going to take etc. You can only testify as to the costs you've incurred and how you feel on a day to day basis. These are all simply rules of evidence (I assume there are such rules in your state as they are common). As noted, going in without an expert basically dooms your case.

Quote:
It seems to me that it would be very important to convince the jury that I'm not greedy and I'm not a liar. To do that I feel it would be important to discuss my interactions with Geico, because it is an key part of why I'm in court. I've been told that we are not allowed to talk about insurance... but is that only about insurance amounts, or are we required to pretend that the insurance companies don't exist at all?

Your trial is about liability and damages. Not an insurance co.'s handling of a third party claim. That stuff will never see the light of day in court. In fact the fact that a person is insured is usually only admissible for very specific and limited reasons. I know this troubles you, but how does what the insurance company did have any relevance at all to what you might be entitled to?
Last edited by: ChrisM: May 22, 13 13:12
Quote Reply

Prev Next