Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Percentage of FTP on the Ironman
Quote | Reply
Curious to know what percent of your FTP you have average on the Ironman ride. Would you mind posting power ave and % of FTP if available?
Quote Reply
Re: Percentage of FTP on the Ironman [Wedged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was at about 72% during my last IM.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Percentage of FTP on the Ironman [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks GMAN. Should note I know there are much better ways to pace your IM bike but interested in the stats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wedged wrote:
I know there are much better ways to pace your IM bike but interested in the stats.

Not in my opinion.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wedged wrote:
Thanks GMAN. Should note I know there are much better ways to pace your IM bike but interested in the stats.

then do that

---------------------------------------
Fruit snacks are for winners
Quote Reply
Re: Percentage of FTP on the Ironman [bmeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yup, enjoy the run or should I say walk if you don't keep it around 70% FTP . Just for fun try 80-85 and let us know how it goes. :)

The search function will yield a much larger data set and other ideas you might find helpful

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Post deleted by 6 String [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think we should let the studs answer this question...
Quote Reply
Re: Percentage of FTP on the Ironman [6 String] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i guess it depends on what your PB marathon is.

---------------------------------------
Fruit snacks are for winners
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6 String wrote:
I rode @ 81% of FTP (tested 4 weeks prior) at my last IM - 4:53:xx split, and ran a PB marathon. IMO, the only way to figure out the ideal target % is to test it. 5 weeks out, I rode 112 @ the ST recommended 70%, then ran 10. It actually felt too easy. The next weekend, I retested the same 112 @ 80%, and still held my run paces. That doesn't mean that my target % for IMAZ this fall will be 81% - I won't know until I test it 4 weeks out. It will probably be lower due to less running this year (stress fracture sucks).
Good luck -

I would suggest that your FTP was a bit under estimated but then again the quicker the ride the higher % one can carry. Not many can ride that high a % and still really run. What was your run time by the way?

YMMV,

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6 String wrote:
I rode @ 81% of FTP (tested 4 weeks prior) at my last IM - 4:53:xx split, and ran a PB marathon. IMO, the only way to figure out the ideal target % is to test it. 5 weeks out, I rode 112 @ the ST recommended 70%, then ran 10. It actually felt too easy. The next weekend, I retested the same 112 @ 80%, and still held my run paces. That doesn't mean that my target % for IMAZ this fall will be 81% - I won't know until I test it 4 weeks out. It will probably be lower due to less running this year (stress fracture sucks).
Good luck -

I'm guessing u won your age group?

what was the time for the marathon?

how did u test ur FTP?

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been successful in my training with 71-74%. Much higher and I'm really pushing and have to focus to hold a reasonable run pace.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I honestly don't like that test at all; I always get a stupid LOW FTP...

I do a reg 20" FTP = 285 for 20"
I do that 2x20 then I need to "manage" the effort = 260x20" - 260x20" = 250 something if I remember correctly
I do a local TT almost weekly = 275-280 for 40"

I am sure the people from EN has a ton of good research on the 2x20 but TO ME seems to come up with a 10-15% lower number every time I do it...

Anyways, glad that is working for u!

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The oft-quoted number is 70%.

My point would be that whatever you pick, you need to give it a legitimate test. Inmy mind a legitimate test is a brick of at least 4 / 2 hours particularly if this is your first go round or if previous times resulted in a bad (for you) run. Bad to me means more than 10ish percent slower than your marathon time or projected marathon time.

You'd want to be able to hold whatever power you picked for the brick and also, your food should go down whatever food amount you picked, then the run pace should be steady from front to back on the run.

My preference is for longer bricks but at least do that much.

another monkey wrench that can be thrown in would be terrain or temperature. Temperature is a biggie, your sustainable power at 70 degrees is different than your sustainable power at 90 degrees. So if you did your big brick at 70 degree temps and then race day is 90, if you try to replicate that power for 5.5 to 6.5 hours, you are likely to run into problems. So try to test in similar temps or wear extra clothes if you can't do that.

The terrain can also make things difficult. Actually in terms of nutrition, getting in say, 300 calories per hour in moderately hilly areas might work fine because you will naturally eat on downhills, even if you don't pay attention you will do that. So you have a chance to eat as you recover. On a totally flat ride like chesapeakeman or IM florida, you don't get that chance. Your effort level will go to 65% of max effort let's say and it will stay there steadily for the next 6 hours.

In terms of your legs the opposite is true, no matter how good you are at pacing, those steep uphills are more likely to see you exert high powers and take the snap out of your legs.

You mentioned power not being the best way to pace things. In similar temps and in similar conditions I think it is as good as anything. In high temps, assuming you trained in cooler temps, adding heart rate can be helpful but still, it is best to have tested things out beforehand, hopefully in similar temperatures.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed!

Whatever effort u put on the bike needs to be validated with a run.

Quote Reply
Re: Percentage of FTP on the Ironman [camaleon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
camaleon wrote:
I honestly don't like that test at all; I always get a stupid LOW FTP...

I do a reg 20" FTP = 285 for 20"
I do that 2x20 then I need to "manage" the effort = 260x20" - 260x20" = 250 something if I remember correctly
I do a local TT almost weekly = 275-280 for 40"

I am sure the people from EN has a ton of good research on the 2x20 but TO ME seems to come up with a 10-15% lower number every time I do it...

Anyways, glad that is working for u!
Seems to me that you need to have the race motivation to really generate the watts for a test. Just doesn't seem right that you can push 280w for 40' but only 260w for 2 20' intervals. If you do a weekly TT why not just use that for your test?
Quote Reply
Re: Percentage of FTP on the Ironman [tucktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use my TT number as my "FTP test"; I was explaining the dif numbers that I was getting thru dif protocols for testing :)

Quote Reply
Re: Percentage of FTP on the Ironman [camaleon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got you. I've done both and seem to like the TT effort as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best way is to aim for a TSS of 300 if you are new to IM, or up to 320 if you are experienced and in good shape. Takes some figuring out, you will need a good handle on your likely pace and overall course terrain. If you can figure it out though you will learn a lot about yourself on the way.

Trying to maintain a % of FTP for 112 miles works to some degree but even after lots of testing struggles to take account of terrain and conditions on the day.

Make sure you have a good handle on your numbers now, and how they have changed come race day I.e. has your FTP gone up or down over your last 6 weeks of training?

Good luck.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Re: Percentage of FTP on the Ironman [earthling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm new to racing and training with power. First IM coming up in August. How far out from race day should I do my last FTP test.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think its worth mentioning that stronger cyclists can ride at a higher percentage of FTP than weaker cyclists because 1) they are fitter and 2) they are on the bike for a shorter period of time. If you look at the bike leg as a function of time rather than distance, it makes sense that the guy riding for >5-hours can put out a harder effort than the guy riding for 6.5 hours.

Sponsored by -- Whoever tips at my coffee shop
Quote Reply

Prev Next