Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

People that have done the Spartan Race
Quote | Reply
I know that people on ST aren't big fans of obstacle races, but I'm sure there are some faster runners on here that have secretly done the spartan race before. Just curious... A buddy asked me to do one with him next year. I saw one on tv recently and it did look fun, but the people didn't seem crazy fast. ...but that's hard to judge just from the couch.

My question is should I sign up for the elite wave and how fast are those guys? Thx!

I'm a larger guy @ 6'3" 189lbs.

I'm a okay runner
Low 18 5k
1:27 half (maybe a few minutes faster now)
Quote Reply
Re: People that have done the Spartan Race [slow123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did a Spartan race not too long ago in VT as something fun to do with my brother. Keep in mind this isn't like running in a open road race - its up mountains/hills on trails, down hill with with switch backs. I was NOT in the elite wave and was glad when it was over. I bet the guys in the elite wave are all very serious.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The guys in the pointy end of the elite waves are extremely good athletes.

In 2013 I did the Temecula/SoCal event - it was pretty much continuous up/down steep hills for 13-14km with 15-20 obstacles, and the leaders were done in about 75 minutes.
In 2012 I was in 2:08/Olympic shape and did the Arizona race - about 13km, and I finished about 25 minutes behind the leaders who were again done in about 75 minutes. About 10 of my minutes were for penalty burpees, so they were 15 minutes ahead of me on pure pace in only 90-100 minutes. Crazy fast.

I'd guess the leaders are well under 4:00/km pace for the running segments.

STAC Zero Trainer - Zero noise, zero tire contact, zero moving parts. Suffer in Silence starting fall 2016
Last edited by: AHare: Sep 30, 14 9:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know a few people who did a Spartan Race for fun and got hurt. It's fine if you're a spartan racer I guess. But, if you also have your eye on triathlon or running, it's just something to think about.
Quote Reply
Re: People that have done the Spartan Race [AHare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the NorCal Spartan Beast a few years back and it was a very challenging course, lots of hills and mud. It was raining and windy. I was in the elite wave. Yes, if you can not complete a challenge you will have to do penalty burbees, I believe it was 30. I couldn't do two, the tractor tire flip (I couldn't even lift it off the ground) and the spear throw (I hit the target but it bounced off). There are very fit and competitive people in the elite wave.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My buddy and I finished a Spartan Super 5th/6th overall for the day and our open times were nowhere near what your 5k and 13.1 are so you should be able to compete without any issues.

I have no clue as to whether you should register elite, but I will say you should register for the earliest possible wave start. I think a large factor in our speed was the fact that we did not have to wait on any lines for the obstacles. I kid you not, there were reported 40+min wait times at certain spots on the course. So with your fitness and an early wave you should race pretty well.

As far as the race itself, eh it was bucket list with some friends so it was fun but not terribly challenging if you can race smart. Its hiking up a mountain, running down without twisting your ankle and doing some rugged obstacles along the way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would go elite. the back-up at some obstacle for the later waves can be crazy. a buddy and I figure we had a total of 45+ minutes wait time on the whole course at the tough mudder at mt. snow vermont 2-3 years ago.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Re: People that have done the Spartan Race [tri-tele] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some great info! I'm guessing the race will be a little faster if I choose to do one of the races in FLorida because it's so flat here and I wouldn't have to deal with hills and mountains.

I don't mind getting hurt, I did MMA for seven years. I'm not a stranger to crutches.

I'm actually surprised that all of the feedback was so respectful. Based on this feedback it seems that there is some stiffer competition then what I typically see at my local 5Ks and 13.1s. ...interesting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
About 10 of my minutes were for penalty burpees

Now if only the USAT would adopt this as a drafting penalty...

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Arizona event was flat in 2012 and had us running/wading through ditches and ponds to slow us down. I imagine a Florida event would be similar.

STAC Zero Trainer - Zero noise, zero tire contact, zero moving parts. Suffer in Silence starting fall 2016
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AHare wrote:
The Arizona event was flat in 2012 and had us running/wading through ditches and ponds to slow us down. I imagine a Florida event would be similar.

Deep enough to swim? Or better to run?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was one very short swimming section, the rest was just deep enough to be inconvenient (knee/thigh level).

Temecula had a longer swimming section - probably about 25-50m in what was probably 55-60F water. You could also opt to skip that and go a long way around to stay dryer/warmer.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'll be fine. I've done these races in the past. I'm same height but weigh more and run about the same times as you. The obstacles are not that challenging (they are fun), but the running up and down the mountain was the hardest part (if it's on a mountain). The people at the front of the elites are very serious, but once they get out you will be very competitive with the rest of the elites. Spartan races aren't my cup of tea but I had fun competing with my friends. We all finished between 5th-15th and some of them weren't in great shape at the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't done a Spartan race but I did complete a Tough Mudder event a few years ago. In my experience, it would be wise to not have a particularly important race on your schedule if you decide to do the Spartan. The line of ambulances at the TM was pretty busy with at least a dozen in a constant rotation from the course to the local hospital. I saw a number of injuries happen, and I just missed having a 250 lb moron land on my back as he leaped into a cargo net crossing. He did land on some poor girl who was there with her boy friend, they were still fighting up in the net when I left the obstacle.

Picture a lot of Crossfit people, a lot of college students, and others who think they are invincible, mix them up with lots of drinking in the parking lot before each wave starts, and then add sheer stupidity. Needless to say I will not do another obstacle race like a Tough Mudder again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done a few for the fun of it. The shorter ones are kinda a waste of time. They are over in 35 minutes.

I did the "beast" twice with a bunch of friends in Killington VT. It was supposedly 13.1 miles distance. The distance was not the hard part, the elevation was. You are directed up and down a ski hill several times, The obstacles are actually a welcome break from the slog up and the scramble down.

It was a fun time. OH and as for the elites forget about it, these guys take it pretty serious. That said you will be faster that 60% of the people out there.

Have fun.
Quote Reply
Re: People that have done the Spartan Race [Jamie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jamie wrote:
I have done a few for the fun of it. The shorter ones are kinda a waste of time. They are over in 35 minutes.

I did the "beast" twice with a bunch of friends in Killington VT. It was supposedly 13.1 miles distance. The distance was not the hard part, the elevation was. You are directed up and down a ski hill several times, The obstacles are actually a welcome break from the slog up and the scramble down.

It was a fun time. OH and as for the elites forget about it, these guys take it pretty serious. That said you will be faster that 60% of the people out there.

Have fun.

I'm really surprised that there are so many fast athletes at the Spartan races. I know there's a lot of fast guys out there, but dang. I was 14th overall out of 1,300 people (2nd in my AG) at my last half marathon. To only be a MOP runner in a 9 mile obstacle race is really changing my opinion of these races. Impressive! (Not sarcastic)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just like any other sport (MMA, curling, ping pong, cycling, golf or sailing) the top 2 to 5 % are gona be head and shoulders above the rest of up.

I was just looking at the split times for the Berlin Marathon 2 days ago and I was wondering if I am even the same species as these people. If we were a breed of animals most of us would be culled as inferior (myself included)
Quote Reply
Re: People that have done the Spartan Race [Jamie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never done one, watched a few live. The pointy end folks are really fast. Then there are another 100 or so pretty good people. Then about 1,000-1,500 bucket listers pay the bills. Sort of like triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: People that have done the Spartan Race [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now if only the USAT would adopt this as a drafting penalty.

Boom!

Post of the week material.

Well done!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done the Warrior Dash and Tough Mudder. Both with groups of friends. They were a lot of fun - think of them as social events rather than competitions. Leave the watch at home.

As others have said, don't do one before an A race. You will get beaten up a bit.

Cheers!
Quote Reply