Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Paypal scams
Quote | Reply
Watch out and beware. There is a couple of really good ones going on right now. No I did not fall for them though.
Quote Reply
Re: Paypal scams [dustdevil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uh,...

any details of the scams?

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah, I've received emails from "Paypal" and "Ebay", sent to an email address I used to use with both services. that was a pretty big red flag.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Paypal scams [Greg X] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I received emails staing that my account was about to be suspended unless I followed the included link. I clicked on one once, it went to a pretty convincing spoff site that asks you to log in, I started to do it, then realized I no longer used that email with the service. I immediately contacted Ebay, sent them the email, also logged onto the real service and changed my password.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a couple going on, but the most recent one I have received via e-mail states that another e-mail address has been added to my Paypal account. Well that's not good. It does have a Paypal link and to log in, it asks for my credit card number in order to do a security check. I sent it to spoof@paypay.com and within seconds someone from Paypal contacted me telling me they were on it. The weird thing is I did get a follow-up from scam asking me why I did not fill out the survey. Talk about persistent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
but the most recent one I have received via e-mail states that another e-mail address has been added to my Paypal account.

==========================================================

I have received 4 of these and contacted paypal direct from their site, they don't seem to be interested, so I have terminated my account.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is the text of the email I got.

Dear valued customer,

Your bank has contacted us regarding some attempts of charges from your credit card via the eBay system. We have reasons to believe that you changed your registration information or that someone else has unauthorized access to your eBay account Due to recent activity, including possible unauthorized listings placed on your account, we will require a second confirmation of your identity with us in order to allow us to investigate this matter further. Your account is not suspended, but if in 48 hours after you receive this message your account is not confirmed we reserve the right to suspend your eBay registration. If you received this notice and you are not the authorized account holder, please be aware that it is in violation of eBay policy to represent oneself as another eBay user. Such action may also be in violation of local, national, and/or international law. eBay is committed to assist law enforcement with any inquires related to attempts to misappropriate personal information with the intent to commit fraud or theft. Information will be provided at the request of law enforcement agencies to ensure that perpetrators are prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

To confirm your identity with us click here:
https://signin.ebay.com/...xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

After responding to the message, we ask that you allow at least 72 hours for the case to be investigated. Emailing us before that time will result in delays. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause you and we would like to thank you for your cooperation as we review this matter.

Respectfully,
Trust and Safety Department
eBay Inc.
http://www.ebay.com/[/url]

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those e-mails have been going around for quite awhile. If you look closer at where the link actually goes, it doesn't go to an eBay site, even though it appears like it would. Never click on any link like that from eBay or PayPal - go directly to their site, and log-in that way. If there's really a message for you they would have it on there.
Quote Reply
Re: Paypal scams [NeedMoreEngine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've received a similar email from "paypal". If you go onto the PayPal website (not through the link in the email, but just by entering paypal.com) there is a security center. They give tips on how to recognize fraudulent emails, including that any legit email will always be addressed to you by "first name last name." This is what I've used to determine what's real and what isn't. I get about 4 fake paypal emails for every real one I receive.
Last edited by: here&anon: Dec 2, 05 9:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny, when I first read your post, I thougt it said "Papal Scams"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
more appropriately labeled as a scam against Paypal clients.

jeez...these things have been showing up about as long as worms have loved dirt.

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Security Tips and Fraud Prevention

At PayPal, maintaining your account's security is our top priority. To augment the security measures that we take on your behalf, there are steps that you can take to help protect your account from fraud and scams.

Website Security
  • Type in the PayPal URL: To safely and securely access the PayPal website or your PayPal account, open a new web browser (e.g., Internet Explorer or Netscape) and type in the following: https://www.paypal.com/

Password Safety
  • Never share your PayPal password: PayPal representatives will never ask you for your password. If you believe someone has learned your password, please change it immediately and contact us.
  • Create a secure password: Choose a password that uses a combination of letters, numbers, and symbols. For example, $coo!place2l!ve or 2Barry5Bonds#1. Avoid choosing obvious words or dates such as a nickname or your birth date.
  • Keep your PayPal password unique: Don't use the same password for PayPal and other online services such as AOL, eBay, MSN, or Yahoo. Using the same password for multiple websites increases the likelihood that someone could learn your password and gain access to your account.

Email Security
  • Look for a PayPal Greeting: PayPal will never send an email with the greeting "Dear PayPal User" or "Dear PayPal Member." Real PayPal emails will address you by your first and last name or the business name associated with your PayPal account. If you believe you have received a fraudulent email, please forward the entire email—including the header information—to spoof@paypal.com. We investigate every spoof reported. Please note that the automatic response you get from us may not address you by name.
  • Don't share personal information via email: We will never ask you to enter your password or financial information in an email or send such information in an email. You should only share information about your account once you have logged in to https://www.paypal.com/.
  • Don't download attachments: PayPal will never send you an attachment or software update to install on your computer.

Use Your Account Wisely
  • Don't share your account: Don't use your PayPal account to collect or transfer money for someone else. These types of activity are often conducted as forms of money laundering or mail fraud and may result in significant criminal penalties. If someone contacts you and asks you to transfer money on their behalf, you should deny the request and contact us immediately.
  • Increase your security: Become a Verified PayPal member.
  • Look for legitimate sites: Examine all privacy and security seals before doing business with a particular website and make sure they are legitimate. PayPal is a licensee of the TRUSTe Privacy Program.

For more information, please visit our Security Center.
Quote Reply