Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Panic attack...canyon speedmax or Trek speed concept 9.9 PURCHASE
Quote | Reply
My local bike shop has 20% deals tomorrow on bikes and I have one spec'd out with them already for a Trek Concept 9.9.

p1 pedal set
computer cage
tri bike fit
speed box
draft box
duotrap ant/bt
cage rxl bottom
speedfil a2 aero bottle
2 schwalbe pro one tubeless (not sure I want/need) ($170 for total tubeless conversion cost, rimstrip, sealant etc)
speed concept 9.9

$9880 tax title out the door ( i have a few more add ons I would be making..garmin 1030 possibly)

OR

do I just buy a speedmax for the $10k?
+plus fitting cost
+plus pedals
+plus tubeless (if I go that route)
+plus computer cage
+bottles

You should know I'm currently a novice rider who is 3 months into Ironman training so any bike I get is going to be way better than what I currently own, so I know both of these bikes are TOO much bike for my skill set but I am fortunate enough to be able to afford this so please help out with any opinion.

I'm wondering if most of these 'super' bikes are created fairly equal and if so then I guess the cost of the concept is too good to pass up?

I guess just give an opinion to let me know if I'm making the right decision...I'm NERVOUS for such a big purchase!

thanks for reading
Last edited by: bmarque19: Mar 5, 18 18:52
Quote Reply
Re: Panic attack...canyon speedmax or Trek speed concept 9.9 PURCHASE [bmarque19] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice bikes!

Which one do you like the looks of better? (They both fit, yes?)
Quote Reply
Re: Panic attack...canyon speedmax or Trek speed concept 9.9 PURCHASE [bmarque19] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I could think of more efficient ways to spend $10k and get more speed for your money and 20% off doesn’t strike me personally as a “have to buy” discount, but if you are excited about your potential purchase and will use it, go for it and enjoy the bike and ride it a lot.
Quote Reply
Re: Panic attack...canyon speedmax or Trek speed concept 9.9 PURCHASE [tickyboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I started looking I loved the Canyon but a blacked out Trek looks pretty similar and I'm partial to the black look....

However I'm realizing that it might be more important to be able to find your bike in T1 than the everyday color so I was looking into the trek charcoal/bright orange combo ( I still prefer black)

I think if cost was equal I would get Canyon for whatever reason..again I'm novice and really shouldnt be buying a bike like this so I'm looking for affirmation on this Trek maybe. I am fortunate to be in the market for this type of purchase but I'm also not stupid and if both bike are pretty close there is no point in paying $2000 more for the canyon
Quote Reply
Re: Panic attack...canyon speedmax or Trek speed concept 9.9 PURCHASE [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
I could think of more efficient ways to spend $10k and get more speed for your money and 20% off doesn’t strike me personally as a “have to buy” discount, but if you are excited about your potential purchase and will use it, go for it and enjoy the bike and ride it a lot.

I am or have bought the other gear needed. I did give it 3 months of solid bike training to see if I will use and am committed and I feel like I have passed my personal test. I just dont see 20% savings on other high level bikes unless its used or a few years old.

I am open to ideas if you think another bike level is sufficient or maybe I dont need the dura ace components and just get ultegra, etc?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy a $3000 bike, give a nice donation to charity, spend two years in the sport, and then buy a super bike when you need the last 1% of performance.

Or just keep your high class problems to yourself.

Or post this on the “cry like a bi-atch” thread
Quote Reply
Re: Panic attack...canyon speedmax or Trek speed concept 9.9 PURCHASE [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Poon wrote:
Buy a $3000 bike, give a nice donation to charity, spend two years in the sport, and then buy a super bike when you need the last 1% of performance.

Or just keep your high class problems to yourself.

Or post this on the “cry like a bi-atch” thread

I wasnt trying to rub anything in if thats the purpose of your post, But yes 100k, 10k, 1k, 100, 1 dollar are all relative to each person. With that said for the record I donate plenty of time and money..thank you for your comment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would say to buy the one that fits you best and/or like the looks of most. Either way, you're splitting hairs with regards to aerodynamics and overall performance. BTW, spend the money (if you can afford it) and never look back on your decision. Life is much too short.

I have a Trek Speed Concept and love it. But I also love the looks of the Canyon.
Quote Reply
Re: Panic attack...canyon speedmax or Trek speed concept 9.9 PURCHASE [sommer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sommer wrote:
I would say to buy the one that fits you best and/or like the looks of most. Either way, you're splitting hairs with regards to aerodynamics and overall performance. BTW, spend the money (if you can afford it) and never look back on your decision. Life is much too short.

I have a Trek Speed Concept and love it. But I also love the looks of the Canyon.

thanks I definitely agree with that!

Is there anything you feel like you're missing with the concept?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have the cash to casually drop on a superbike as a novice, and you think you'll enjoy it, I say go for it, even if others with lesser means are going to be jealous. Personally, I'd have two major concerns:

One, personally I'd be a bit embarrassed to have such a nice bike as a novice. But you could reasonably argue that's silly. And you may not feel similarly.

Two, are your resources such that if this turns out not to have been the right bike for you, or that you end up being a one-and-done triathlete, you won't regret the purchase too much?

On the one hand, you might regret getting such a nice bike. On the other hand, you might also regret *not* getting a nice bike, e.g. compromising on a perfectly adequate 105-equipped bike and then trying your buddy's bike and realizing how sweet di2 is. Whatever you choose, congrats on having some awesome choices!

And no, I have no feedback at all between two pretty epic bikes, other than fit, fit, fit (it sounds like you're not basing this decision on a prior fit you've had done--that's a bit of a red flag, personally).
Quote Reply
Re: Panic attack...canyon speedmax or Trek speed concept 9.9 PURCHASE [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:

And no, I have no feedback at all between two pretty epic bikes, other than fit, fit, fit (it sounds like you're not basing this decision on a prior fit you've had done--that's a bit of a red flag, personally).

thanks for the reply...I havent had a prior fit, I assumed most of these bikes could be dialed into my measurements? I have thought that about getting smoked by others in lesser bikes but who hasnt? with that said I dont think you can tell the difference between a 7.5 vs a 9.9 anyways while riding past.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a SC and loved it when i was riding it.....but it was complete pain to work on. Everything is integrated and fiddly to maintain , especially if you travel with it and it needs to be broken down for transport. I solved this by getting a Scicon tri bag
The rear storage box is a huge plus and the project one feature is a cool touch.

Dont know much about the Canyon other than their service/communication is below average. I bought one of their first aeroads in 2009 and the service was shocking (delay after delay, misleading time frames, no answers to questions) and from all reports they have not got much better.....not sure if that helps
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go visit slowman and spend a few hundred bucks on a proper fit.

Then think about buying a bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bmarque19 wrote:
niccolo wrote:

thanks for the reply...I havent had a prior fit, I assumed most of these bikes could be dialed into my measurements? I have thought that about getting smoked by others in lesser bikes but who hasnt? with that said I dont think you can tell the difference between a 7.5 vs a 9.9 anyways while riding past.

Obviously all bikes have various degrees of adjustability, but there's a limit, and there are sweetspots in terms of where you want to be on particular frames. Bike geometry varies quite a bit, so a frame that might work well for you might be a poor choice for me. It doesn't seem crazy to me to contemplate buying a superbike as a novice, but it does seem crazy to contemplate buying one without a serious fit beforehand.
Quote Reply
Re: Panic attack...canyon speedmax or Trek speed concept 9.9 PURCHASE [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:
bmarque19 wrote:
niccolo wrote:

Obviously all bikes have various degrees of adjustability, but there's a limit, and there are sweetspots in terms of where you want to be on particular frames. Bike geometry varies quite a bit, so a frame that might work well for you might be a poor choice for me. It doesn't seem crazy to me to contemplate buying a superbike as a novice, but it does seem crazy to contemplate buying one without a serious fit beforehand.

Well they are doing the 3-4 hour fit test there before the bike is built etc if thats what you are referencing. Otherwise are you saying do that fit test, get those measurements and then see what bike brands fit my measurements the best?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a fit from someplace respectable and without a vested interest in selling you a bike. THEN continue to shop for your bike.

Anyone stocking a high end frame like that has a lot tied up in it and will be motivated to make a sale, even if it isn’t the right size for you.

For 10k, that shit should be completely turnkey and fit you like a glove. 10k puts you in the very upper end of the market... so don’t settle, and you have a lot of leverage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No concern about the amount that you are spending, but more concern about what you are spending it on. As you get more experience, your desires and tastes will evolve a lot. For one, you will want a simple set up as well as a fast set up. For that reason, it would be very smart for to spend the $ 10k a bit later in your triathlon career. You will make far better choices and know the pluses and minuses of those choices. For example, tubeless tires are cool, but they have major downsides and the are often not the fastest set ups. Every equipment decision involves trade-offs ... sometimes they are big trade-offs.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Mar 5, 18 19:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Premier Tactical.....
Quote Reply
Re: Panic attack...canyon speedmax or Trek speed concept 9.9 PURCHASE [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MadTownTRI wrote:
Get a fit from someplace respectable and without a vested interest in selling you a bike. THEN continue to shop for your bike. Anyone stocking a high end frame like that has a lot tied up in it and will be motivated to make a sale, even if it isn’t the right size for you.

Yup, x10,000

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The mere fact that the bike shop hasn't suggested that fit is crucial to which bike you pick, merely that they will dial in the fit on whichever bike you pick, is a red flag. You need a professional fit from a well-regarded fitter. Central to that fit will be identifying frame geometries, and ideally specific bikes, that would be good fits for you. This should be a good start: http://www.slowtwitch.com/...pectations_3595.html
Last edited by: niccolo: Mar 5, 18 19:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:
The mere fact that the bike shop hasn't suggested that fit is crucial to which bike you pick, merely that they will dial in the fit on whichever bike you pick, is a red flag. You need a professional fit from a well-regarded fitter. Central to that fit will be identifying frame geometries, and ideally specific bikes, that would be good fits for you. This should be a good start: http://www.slowtwitch.com/...pectations_3595.html

Not to defend the bike shop but they are doing a fitting before my bike is made. I do get an idea scenario would be independent fitting then someone has a wall of different TT bikes that I get to ride...but thats not the case where I live.

We have 4 shops...they all sell the big brands as TT bikes...one trek, one cervelo, one specialized...etc

If I didnt have one of those shops do the fitting...where they use all the fancy computer crap plus their junk certifications...I dont know where else I would/should go.

fly to colorado and go to retul or whatever?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bmarque19 wrote:
niccolo wrote:

Not to defend the bike shop but they are doing a fitting before my bike is made. I do get an idea scenario would be independent fitting then someone has a wall of different TT bikes that I get to ride...but thats not the case where I live.

We have 4 shops...they all sell the big brands as TT bikes...one trek, one cervelo, one specialized...etc

If I didnt have one of those shops do the fitting...where they use all the fancy computer crap plus their junk certifications...I dont know where else I would/should go.

fly to colorado and go to retul or whatever?

Good fitters can work out of bike shops--some will have independent studios in the shop, but there's no inherent reason someone who works directly for the bike shop can't also be a good fitter. The red flag to me is that they don't seem to have urged you to consider fit as a (really, the) variable for selecting a bike, rather than merely for dialing in whichever bike you pick. "I like the pink one" has its merits, but as a strategy for selecting a bike, it kinda seems suboptimal. My two cents, anyway, for whatever they're worth to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Out of curiosity - [to the O.P.}

Have you done a triathlon previously?

How did you do? (E.g., finish?)
Last edited by: Dwoodside: Mar 5, 18 22:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fly to California and have slowman fit you and tell you which frames will work for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The correct answer is of course to buy a used P2/3/5 and spend the rest tunnel/track testing.
Quote Reply

Prev Next