Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Palm Springs training sabbatical
Quote | Reply
I'm in Palm Springs this week, splitting some time training and hanging with the wife. Anyone know the area well and recommend good rides or runs? Wanna join?
Quote Reply
Re: Palm Springs training sabbatical [landoncassill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent trail running up on the mountain if you take the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway. It will be twenty degrees cooler up there, so go prepared.
http://www.pstramway.com/index.html.

And back down on the desert floor realize that those windmills are in that valley for a reason. It is always windy with blowing dust/sand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Palm Springs..pfffft.
The weather's been great here in Cedar Rapids. Center Point Road is ready and waiting for you :-)

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: Palm Springs training sabbatical [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha! I'll save my CR training block for another season!
Quote Reply
Re: Palm Springs training sabbatical [markvoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
markvoss wrote:
Excellent trail running up on the mountain if you take the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway. It will be twenty degrees cooler up there, so go prepared.
http://www.pstramway.com/index.html.

And back down on the desert floor realize that those windmills are in that valley for a reason. It is always windy with blowing dust/sand.

So is there a right or wrong place to ride?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never actually ridden in Palm Springs. But I did take an all-day outdoor eco-tour of the windmill farms in Palm Springs while I had been living in Phoenix. (Fascinating, by the way). So, I was used to endless desert riding. But I just remember thinking all day long, "With those towering mountains and these rolling desert hills in the valley, this would be a beautiful place to ride--IF NOT for the constant wind and dust."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where are you staying?

I think it is safer to ride South of Palm Desert less traffic to worry about. Work your way through LaQuinta and head towards Meca...

Saturday: Palm Desert Group Ride Approx 2.5 hours

Rides I like:
Box Canyon via Thermal to top of Hwy 10 (From LaQuinta 4 hours round trip)
Hyw 74 to Lake Hemet
Palm Desert to Salt n Sea (4 hrs round trip)
Quote Reply
Re: Palm Springs training sabbatical [j.chriss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I'll check out those routes. I'm staying at the Viceroy right by the Palm Springs Swim Center. Swim this morning was gorgeous outside
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The ride from PS to Idyllwild is awesome!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Check out my Strava from Feb 13th thru the 20th of this year. I was in Palm Springs for a week for a Spring training camp. Rode 520 miles all over that area throughout that week.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/3974653?utm_source=top-nav

The Whitewater ride was a good one, windy. Box Canyon to Joshua Tree National Park was a great ride. The canyon is pretty cool, road is a bit rough. The road in the park is smooth as glass. Take lots of water. There is water available at a ranger station at the beginning of the park, but we did an out and back and I was out before we got back to the station.
Quote Reply