Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pain Relief: No? Yes? If so, which? Why?
Quote | Reply
I have never used sports balms, gels, sprays or pain killers of any kind, no anti-inflammatory, Ibuprofen, Acetaminophen etc. I guess I have always accepted aches and pains as part of the process and never thought they helped cure or truly relieve symptoms, so why bother?

But, I'm no spring chicken...got a tweaked shoulder here, an achy calf there, a spazzy lower back now and then. My ankle is so shot that I genuflect before every morning after a hard run before taking the first steps out of bed and pray I can put weight on my foot.

- Are there any benefits to using them beyond pain management?
- Does anyone have any specific products they recommend?
- Any suggestions on how and when to use them?

“Bloom wherever you are planted"
Quote Reply
Re: Pain Relief: No? Yes? If so, which? Why? [K-DUB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I need a pain killer I generally take Ibuprofen but, for those aches and pains associated with age - my lower back for instance - nothing much helps. Its worth trying Ibuprofen though, as it might work for some of your issues. But don't turn it into a habit as it has a habit of wrecking your kidneys with long term use.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same thing, ibuprofen every now and then if I need it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always considered pain relief to be worthwhile if it can help you to relax/sleep. I worry that using it to mask pain, so that I can exercise, would be counterproductive. Using it in a race may be considered a worthwhile risk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
- Are there any benefits to using them beyond pain management?

This is my entirely uninformed and unscientific opinion, based mostly on what I've heard here and there, so take it with a grain of salt.

But it's my understanding that some over-the-counter pain meds also are anti-inflammatories. And to the extent that you can reduce swelling, it might help with recovery or prevent exacerbating the situation. That said, if I have knee pain, I generally won't ride even if a pain med makes it feel better. That's because I'm not comfortable with whether it's okay to ride or if I've just masked the pain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Their sole purpose is for pain management, so I guess by default the answer is no...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i think people use pain killers cause their fatty acids aren't right and need to keep n6 fats from becoming prostaglandins with nsaids, i don't think anyone would need them if they consumed more omega 3 and less 6. long story short i eat chia seeds everyday
Last edited by: eggplantOG: Sep 2, 15 20:11
Quote Reply