Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Pain Cave Floor Options in Garage
Quote | Reply
Got an enclosed space in the garage for a dedicated pain cave. My question is regarding flooring options. At the old house we had carpet, then foam mats covering the loft area, which was the pain cave.

The current floor is straight up concrete slab. I'm unsure what the best way to proceed. Should I put plywood then foam mats? Not quite sure what other options are out there, but any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Pain Cave Floor Options in Garage [Chan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Apt I just have carpet and a pvc mat (pretty much a "trainer mat", but cheaper).
My team pain cave is on concrete slab.

It's easier to clean-up when I'm on a pvc mat, whereas on concrete slab I wipe my sweat up afterwards. Pvc mat for me is important indoors to help reduce sound for downstairs neighbors. That's not really an issue when you're training in your garage. Concrete may be advantageous over carpet/mats if you ever switch to rollers, particularly with a larger drum for higher inertia that requires more clearance.

So in other words, I think it'd be OK either leaving it as is, or doing something like you suggested. Just depends on what you prefer. I probably prefer the PVC mat for my sweat to land on but I'm still okay with just plain concrete.

If you feel like you must do something then I'd look into epoxy coating the garage. Really puts a nice touch to the garage and would benefit other garage activities than just the indoor training. Can be rather pricey though so I'd look into DIY.
Quote Reply
Re: Pain Cave Floor Options in Garage [racehd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't do epoxy if you want it to last, do polyurea, it's 1000x time better.

If you want someone softer do a layer of cheap 1x4 pine then either hard rubber matts or if you want to buy the cheaper/thinner rubber floors do a layer of 1/4 plywood over top the 1x for a smoother surface. Make sure you glue and screw the plywood and 1x down. Tapcons or similar for the 1x, but you don't need to worry about doing a ton of them because they are pain to make sure the screws are flush.

I've done both of the above in gyms/ workout rooms on houses I've built.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy a roll of 1/4" or 3/8" rubber matting. Place it in a area reserved for working out. Use 2 sided tape to hold it down.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Re: Pain Cave Floor Options in Garage [Printer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used carpet tiles... easy to clean/replace.
Quote Reply
Re: Pain Cave Floor Options in Garage [racehd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a fan of "naked" concrete. I guess it's ok if it's a super smooth finish, but it's not (in my case). I do like the idea of epoxy. Definitely a DIY type of person so I'd do it myself. Came across Rust-Oleum RockSolid, but at $250 for a single car garage, I think I'll pass. This is a 3 car garage, so almost to the $1k mark after taxes and brushes, rollers, pre cleaning etc.
The cheaper version is definitely more affordable and wouldn't mind having to buy 3 or so gallons for full coverage Rust-Oleum EpoxyShield at $65/gallon.

Thanks for the tip!
Quote Reply
Re: Pain Cave Floor Options in Garage [tem375] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never even heard of carpet tiles ... let me check that out ...
Quote Reply
Re: Pain Cave Floor Options in Garage [bujayman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This polyurea material doesn't seem to be readily available at the big box hardware stores ... is it not as popular?

Found this: https://www.rustoleum.com/...or-coatings/fastkote
Rustoleum website says it's available, just don't see it on their websites ...

Not to say I "must" buy it from the big box stores, but seems odd they don't even have on their websites like other products they carry online, but not at the store.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Horse stall matting. 4'x6' costs around 50$ and can take a beating, only drawback is it is heavy. Can use a straightedge and boxcutter to cut to size.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a newer product. A little more involved to install and depending on colors a little more expensive. But it's a lot better product.

Big box stores are mostly crap, and mostly carry crap. Epoxy is a more recognizable name, so it's easier to sell people epoxy than sell them on a product they've never even heard of.

Any Sherwin Williams store should also be able to get I for you. Or you can probably order it online.
Quote Reply
Re: Pain Cave Floor Options in Garage [Yukon65006] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's the feel like compared to a gym-type of mat?
Quote Reply
Re: Pain Cave Floor Options in Garage [bujayman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh now we're talking. I got a hookup with Sherwin Williams ... I'll be exploring this option a little more in depth
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yukon65006 wrote:
Horse stall matting. 4'x6' costs around 50$ and can take a beating, only drawback is it is heavy. Can use a straightedge and boxcutter to cut to size.

If you have a Tractor Supply around they have some pretty durable mats. As Yukon mentions they are really heavy and some may have a smell for a bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yukon65006 wrote:

This this this. Cheap, durable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used Flor brand carpet tiles in my workout room. They are great, pretty thick with a rubber backing on them. Came with adhesive stickers as well.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Pain Cave Floor Options in Garage [tri.bob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quick compulsory google search does show a tractor supply store not too far that carries the matting. Now when you say smell, is that like a rubber type smell? Or some other type of smell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The smell goes away. They are rubber and get cut and stacked new so don't completely off-gas while stacked. When looking at them there are a few different styles/patterns from dimpled/diamond tread/ recessed cuts etc but they have all had a smooth side as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did epoxy on mine. I've been very happy with it. Bare concrete is absorbent and gets kinda nasty. Epoxy lasts for ever, and it looks good, as long as you properly prep the concrete. Not the easiest task, but now it's beautiful.

I can post a pic later.

Salton Sea Triathlon Club
“I swim to get to the bike. I run because nobody gives a shit about aquabike.â€
Quote Reply
Re: Pain Cave Floor Options in Garage [getbarreled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the prep more work than epoxy?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 The BS "cleaner/concrete etching solution" that they sell specifically for this process at Home Depot is way too weak and you'll waste a ton of time with it. I got in touch with some contractors that do these floors and they gave me the lowdown. Respirator, goggles, rubber boots, Hudson style garden prayer, 50-50 (maybe stronger) solution of muriatic acid and water. Spray it on, work it with a stiff bristle brush, leave it until everything stops fizzing, then hose into the garage so that you wash everything away from the main rollup door and into the back of the garage. It seems counterintuitive but it allows the water that you are rinsing with to further dilute the acid as it all washes up into the garage and then flows back out behind you. This keeps the acid from etchching your driveway at all. Does that make sense?
Then, you have to get a pressure washer with a rotating high-pressure head (this is very important) to release all of the broken down cementious material from the aggregate. If you do all that, you'll have a nicely profiled surface that feels about like 60 grit sand paper. When you roll on your epoxy it will bond for all eternity.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All I can say is wow.

That is kind of a lot but doable. I do have a good amount of the stuff if not all minus the pressure washer. Do you know if a regular pressure washer is fine? Or does it need to be above 2700+ PSI (the same kind they use for home facades etc).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That pressure would be plenty. The rotating head is crucial.

Like this
http://m.homedepot.com/...jav_TGN3wBoCcy_w_wcB

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's what it should look like.[/img]

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a roll of this and really like it. It can be a little slippery when sweaty/wet however.
https://www.costco.com/NewAge-8'-x-20'-Versaroll-Garage-Flooring.product.100300491.html

Quote Reply

Prev Next