Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

POLL: physical and mental stress
Quote | Reply
Dear ST'ers:

I coach people who aren't as advanced as triathletes, in their nutrition, fitness, time-management, physiological awareness, etc.

I'm taking a poll on a specific thing: whether (and when) people notice when stress is taking its toll. This is in regards to some issues that some clients are discovering. I would like to know how/when other athletes notice stress.

I'd like your thoughts/views/answers to the following:

1) Can you tell when you are stressed (mentally and/or physically?)

2) Do YOU notice your outward 'symptoms', or do OTHERS bring the issues to your attention?

3) Can you tell when you are overtrained?

4) Do you know what the symptoms of [physical] overtraining are?

5) Do you know what the symptoms of stress are? (Please list - yes, I know, you'll be reading others' lists on this post)

6) How do you handle stress... both mental/emotional and physical stress?

7) Do you respond immediately - ie: when you instantly discover that you are adversely affected by stress (mental or physical)? This means, do you take steps to recover (and 'fix' the problem) as soon as you discover the stress?

Thanks in advance for these answers. The reason I am asking these questions (some are quite elementary) is because I can't assume that all people take steps in the same way. I want to find out what YOU do. ... and please, this is a real poll; please, no flames: what you answer might help someone get calm, stay calm, and encourage others to be calm.

Thanks again,
Lauren

-------------------------

Lauren Muney
certified physical fitness trainer
certified health coach
wellcoach
http://www.physicalmind.com

There is no escape from your life... solve the problems and get on with it.

"Just tell her you love her and you think she kicks ass" ~AndrewinNH

"I'm moving [Lauren] to guru status" ~Last Tri in 83
Quote Reply
Re: POLL: physical and mental stress [Fitnesscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This post is stressing me out! And its to early for a beer!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) Can you tell when you are stressed (mentally and/or physically?)

I’m much better at it as an athlete because I feel when you are an athlete you are likely listening to your body much closer. As well many have hard metrics on which to compare performance which are affected by stress.

2) Do YOU notice your outward 'symptoms', or do OTHERS bring the issues to your attention?

I can usually notice if I'm feeling stressed, but it's hard to say because most people probably wouldn't say anything.

3) Can you tell when you are overtrained?

Sure and the more experience I gain the better I am at listening to what my body is saying (and the more I know (or care about) the importance of it).

4) Do you know what the symptoms of [physical] overtraining are?

Dead legs, hr higher in the morning, not able to get your hr up during a workout, sleep problems, appetite problems, lack of motivation, and irritability.

5) Do you know what the symptoms of stress are? (Please list - yes, I know, you'll be reading others' lists on this post)

Sleep problems, appetite problems, irritability, lack of motivation.

6) How do you handle stress... both mental/emotional and physical stress?

Mental - Once I recognize it I try to abstract myself from the emotion and look back onto it and accept it for what it is worth. Then you are starting the process through the DADA curve (Denial, Anger, Depression, and Acceptance.)

Physical - Look at it as a personal challenge, but it is different because I know I have control over it and can make it stop (during a race or training).

7) Do you respond immediately - ie: when you instantly discover that you are adversely affected by stress (mental or physical)? This means, do you take steps to recover (and 'fix' the problem) as soon as you discover the stress?

Certainly, depends on the emotional attachment to the event (dropped my ice cream cone vs loss of life)... It's easy to get stuck on any step of the DADA curve.

Hope that helps...

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lauren,

1. Sometimes.

2. The physical stress is easier for me to notice. The mental stress is normally noticed by my wife and then she brings it to my attention.

3. Most of the time. It has been a long time since I have been overtrained.

4. Yes

5. This is VERY open-ended so I will assume you want my own pesonal symptoms. For me, physically I get fatigued and I can have cravings for certain foods. When I am mentally stressed out, little things drive me crazy. For example, certain noises, the messy house, missing socks and everything seems insurmountable, even the littlest job. I also start looking for reasons to take time off of work.

6. For handling the mental stress generally I clean (okay scour) my home and I run. Generally, I don't get physically stressed, but if I feel it coming on I take a day off from the training regimen.

7. I have found that it is better to handle problems before they occur. For me this is easier to do with the physical stress then the mental. Over the past years I have spent a lot of time and introspection on the topic of mental/emotional/psychological stress and how it affects me. I have learned a lot but mostly I have learned that I will never be able to completely get it out of my life. The best I can do is cope with it and use the tools I have learned to effectively lessen its effects on me and the people who are closest to me.

Hope this helps,

Bernie

Re: POLL: physical and mental stress [slowbern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

"This is VERY open-ended so I will assume you want my own pesonal symptoms."

Thanks, Bernie, for your answers.... I made this open-ended so people could reply in whatever way allowed them to feel comfortable. You listed 'symptoms' which were personal to you; others may have decided to listed general stress-symptoms.

I thought it was interesting that your listed noise-intolerance, which is something that others get but is rarely mentioned.

To everyone who answers: this isn't a quiz and you don't get marked down for what you reply ;), it's just a study. You can PM me if you don't want to mention it online.

Thanks again, all,
Lauren

-------------------------

Lauren Muney
certified physical fitness trainer
certified health coach
wellcoach
http://www.physicalmind.com

There is no escape from your life... solve the problems and get on with it.

"Just tell her you love her and you think she kicks ass" ~AndrewinNH

"I'm moving [Lauren] to guru status" ~Last Tri in 83
Quote Reply