Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

POC, Kask, and other 'new' $$$$ aero helmets
Quote | Reply
Just curious - I'm not a gearhead, but I did manage to lose my old Specialized aero helmet (forget it at a race!) awhile back, and have been looking for a replacement.

I noticed a bunch of aero helmet brands I hadn't heard of until this year - granted I was shopping for an aero helmet, but POC, Kask, and other players at least to me seem fairly new, but are charging close to $500 for their main line aero helmets.

Are these helmets backed by proven 'best in class' aerodynamic data? Or is this just new companies charging an arm and a leg to put a 'premium' feel to their products?

Honestly curious, as there are plenty of well-rated aero helmets that cost half that ($250 range) to choose from which have been tested in the past.
Quote Reply
Re: POC, Kask, and other 'new' $$$$ aero helmets [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's what I'll say about the POC Cerebal: it's nice. It's light, comfy, has good visibility, and is reasonably well ventilated even though it doesn't look like it. The straps are smooth and easy to adjust It's well-polished, if you will, and I wouldn't mind wearing it all day.

With all of that said, it didn't test well on me. If you're looking for a safe aero bet I'd look at either the A2 or the Aerohead. Not sure I'd want to wear the latter for more than 2-2.5 hours but if I recall you're a short course guy anyways.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Kask Bambino, I like it.

I use it for sprints, Olympics, TTS.

It is very high quality, it vents well below 85 degrees, when it is really warm I take off the eye shield and wear glasses, that improves the airflow through the helmet. It is easy to get on in T1 and it has ratchet you can tighten once you get riding. The pad quality is very high, it is very comfortable.

I tried the Poc Cerebel because it was less money and they only make it in a size medium in the US and that was too small for me, even though my head circumference implied it would work.

I think I paid 350 or 400 for the Bambino, I don't remember, I know I did not spend $500.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spech Evade continues to perform...
Quote Reply
Re: POC, Kask, and other 'new' $$$$ aero helmets [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All the comments above are nice, sure, but again,

Where did POC come fromt? Or Kask, for that matter, and why do they get to charge $400 for a helmet?!

I mean, if a no-name chinese frame maker suddenly came out and charged $4k for their frames, I'd also wonder why people were buying them.
Last edited by: lightheir: Sep 3, 17 10:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Google research says both companies were founded in 2004. I've been in triathlon 4+ years and certainly when I've researched helmets since then POC and Kask are often mentioned and usually favorably. Im not sure if this is true but seems like POC may have came in on the mountain bike side of things. I have some nice mountain bike gloves from them. They can obviously charge what they want if their product is making them money at that price point.

I have an aerohead and lg p-09. Aerohead is significantly warmer for me but more comfortable.
Quote Reply
Re: POC, Kask, and other 'new' $$$$ aero helmets [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
My Google research says both companies were founded in 2004. I've been in triathlon 4+ years and certainly when I've researched helmets since then POC and Kask are often mentioned and usually favorably. Im not sure if this is true but seems like POC may have came in on the mountain bike side of things. I have some nice mountain bike gloves from them. They can obviously charge what they want if their product is making them money at that price point.

I have an aerohead and lg p-09. Aerohead is significantly warmer for me but more comfortable.

Ah, that makes more sense for POC to be on the mtb side -thx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:

Where did POC come fromt? Or Kask, for that matter, and why do they get to charge $400 for a helmet?!

Kask gets to charge that much because you help to fund the anti-doping program at Team Sky and because Team Sky endorses it as the best through their marginal gains program as we can objectively and without any bias see in this totally independent review of a Kask helmet by an aerodynamic expert that does triathlons:

Quote:

Kask Infinity – Review

­We admit that we give an automatic benefit of the doubt to any products that Team Sky rides with. And really, why wouldn’t we? Considering the scientific approach Sky uses to continually be one of, if not the, team in professional cycling, it is a fair and valid assumption that if Team Sky is willing to race with it, it must be good. In fact, when we heard Stages was working with Team Sky, our impression of Stages went up a notch or two. And it’s for this same reason that we were so excited to get a Kask Infinity in house for review.

http://aerogeeks.com/...ask-infinity-review/

And yes, the Kask Bambino is definitely a full $500. Every dollar you spend on this helmet is because it is the best according to Team Sky and not because we are obtuse.

Oooooo, my tea is ready. I'll be back in a jiffy.
Last edited by: Hybridlete: Sep 3, 17 11:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
All the comments above are nice, sure, but again,

I mean, if a no-name chinese frame maker suddenly came out and charged $4k for their frames, I'd also wonder why people were buying them.

POC was a ski helment company that got into bike helmets. Their ski helmets are great.

KASK is an italian company that makes their helmets in Italy. The constant theme you hear is the quality is exceptional, which it really is. I bought their road helmet after I got the Bambino.
Quote Reply