Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

P3 or p5
Quote | Reply
Hi i need help to choose which bike to start with ? Thank you so much ;)
Quote Reply
Re: P3 or p5 [teampeewee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
save some money, get the p3, and if see if you like the sport.....then throw more money at it
Quote Reply
Re: P3 or p5 [zamm0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow thank you so much ;) help. Yes thats true kinda big diff. I need to check my heart on the sport first ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The one that fits you best. Stack/reach aren't the same on these 2 - I fit on a p5, but not on p3, for example.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: P3 or p5 [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
The one that fits you best. Stack/reach aren't the same on these 2 - I fit on a p5, but not on p3, for example.

P5 frame has the same stack as the p3, you may not be able to use the Aduro aerobar, but you don't have to use that aerobar.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Save even more money and get a P2. For all intents and purposes, it is a P3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
p2 then upgrade on your own, unless you like a different color scheme :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you plan on travelling with the bike, the P3 will be easier to put back together on the other end. The P5-6 is a nightmare with the integrated front end, P5-3 is easier and the P3/2 will be easiest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's your budget? Do you need an aero helmet and wheels? You could start with the P3 than add the Aduro cockpit and a Tri Rig Omega front.
Quote Reply
Re: P3 or p5 [zamm0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zamm0 wrote:
save some money, get the p3, and if see if you like the sport.....then throw more money AWAY

FTFY...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BUT, make sure it is the new P3/P2, and not the old design (ie any frame before 2014).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The one that fits you best. Stack/reach aren't the same on these 2 - I fit on a p5, but not on p3, for example.\

P2, P3, and P5 have identical stack and reach. Unfortunately.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a P2 2014 with 10spd 105 for ~$2100.

And that is assuming you have plenty of money to burn.
Quote Reply
Re: P3 or p5 [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is this something new in 2014? I was looking at them last year and ST was (and still is) listing somewhat different stack/reach numbers - see
here

For example, size 58

p2 - 550/440
p3, p4 - 535/445
p5 - 559/437

Are these off?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All like the P5 for 2014.
Quote Reply
Re: P3 or p5 [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy shit, you are correct! I fit on a cervelo now! Woot!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It all depends upon how much money you have to spend and how serious you are about Triathlons.

If money isn't an issue then go with the P5, get a set of Zipp wheels (likely 2 sets as you'll need a disk on the back plus about a 90 for when disks aren't allowed and you'll want something like a 30 up front when it is windy and then a 60 for less windy days). Of course you'll need to ge decent power meter set up, check out what the pros are using, only a couple of grand for that. And you'll want Dura-Ace Di2. A decent aero helmet and kit. You'll need to select pedals based upon what kind of cleats you want but make sure they are carbon with ceramic bearings to keep the weight down. It's pretty easy to get above $15,000 if you'd like.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Re: P3 or p5 [TOTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TOTRI wrote:
If you plan on travelling with the bike, the P3 will be easier to put back together on the other end. The P5-6 is a nightmare with the integrated front end, P5-3 is easier and the P3/2 will be easiest.

I will disagree with this having just transported my P5-6 to Mont Tremblant and back from Taipei. The Scicon Aerocomfort Triathlon bag makes it so easy. Just take of the wheels, load the bike onto the frame, add some foam padding on the tubes, and good to go.

As for performance....it really just depends on your personality and budget. Logically, a P2 is not going to be a huge loss of speed compared to a P5 unless you are fighting for that podium position where seconds can matter. But....if you have a "I need the greatest machine" tendency when it comes to buying consumer products, the P5 could be the better investment as you might keep it longer.

The one thing I have noticed between my P5 and a P3 was the stiffness at the bottom bracket....the P5 seems stiffer to me.
Quote Reply