Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
P3 Aluminum on a budget
Quote | Reply
I'm an aspiring triathlete on a pretty tight budget. Just did my first Olympic earlier this month on a early 90s model Trek 1400 that I've had for several years. But now I've got the bug and would really like to upgrade to a true TT/Tri setup. I'm on a pretty tight budget though. I found this P3 aluminum frameset. I can get it for $250. It's a 57cm frame, which should perfect for me. It has some typical wear, but nothing major. That's a BSC Profile Design carbon fork on it.
Does anyone know what year this would be? I've looked and found some similar pictures - maybe an early 2000s model? Is this a good buy? Everything I can find about the P3 aluminum is that it's a great ride, very aero. Any advice appreciated!
Last edited by: Murdock: May 24, 17 17:23
Quote Reply
Re: P3 Aluminum on a budget [Murdock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm too lazy to do all the work for you but try bikepedia and you can figure it out if someone doesn't know off the top of their head. Still a fast bike if it fits.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get the serial number and ask Cervelo.

Not sure I'd pay more than $200. I'd also have a mechanic check over the rear dropouts and hanger alignment, unless I knew the seller and the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have that exact same frame brand new, still in the box. My plan is to build it into a modern super bike. You do realize it's 650 ?

My guess is it is every bit as aero as modern bikes, from around 2000 or so I think.
Quote Reply
Re: P3 Aluminum on a budget [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The wheels are 650? Even on a 57cm frame?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe so, I know at one point all 650 bikes from every brand were through the entire size range, up to 61's even!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That silver frame in the picture looks like it uses 700 size wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only thing I could find on Bikepedia was this 2002 model: http://www.bikepedia.com/...Cervelo&model=P3
It looks pretty much the same, just a different color scheme. It lists the wheel size at 700. The seller also said it was 700.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"very aero" is very subjective. Sure, it's faster than an aluminum road bike frame with TT bars, but still not in the same neighborhood of the carbon P2s or P3s. For not much more, I'd shop for a old carbon P2 frame, or similar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where are you located? I have a P3SL built up that I'm considering selling, 58cm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a 55cm built up with Ultegra and a vision cockpit and Flo 60/disc and regret selling it every day. I think it may have been a 2003? Rode fine, plenty aero, and just something a little different. If you wanted to learn how to build a bike it's a really easy frame to work with.

All that being said I'd tell you to wait, save, and consider a bike on sale at the end of the season.
Last edited by: JASpencer: May 25, 17 5:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have a pile of components laying around waiting for a frame, that might be interesting. If not, it's a lot of money away from being roadworthy. By the time you put wheels, tires, brakes, drivetrain, cockpit, and a saddle on it, your investment is going to be approaching $1000. I've seen complete P1's/P2 SL's for $5-$600.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
at that point cervelo was 650 in the smallest sizes only...

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: P3 Aluminum on a budget [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have wheels, tires, and a saddle already. And I live in China and can get Shimano components considerably cheaper. Should be able to get the rest of buildout for $400-500.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From the internet archive, it appears this might have a circa 2003 model.
https://web.archive.org/...con-P3.html#Geometry

For some reason, some bikes were 700 and some were 650. The 57cm was a 650, while the 55cm was a 700.

I had a 54cm P2K same vintage that was 650. I loved that bike. Despite what I promised my wife two years ago, I was faster on it than the new P2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Murdock wrote:
I have wheels, tires, and a saddle already. And I live in China and can get Shimano components considerably cheaper. Should be able to get the rest of buildout for $400-500.

Can't you get a new, open-mold carbon fiber frame in China for about the same as this ~15 year old aluminum P3 would cost with shipping?

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: May 25, 17 8:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have said, if you can have a mechanic you trust look the frame over, or it's obviously had very little use - then this is a very good deal.

Yes - the top bikes have moved on from this, but the original Cervelo P3, if you optimize as many of the other key things you need to - body position, bottle placement, helmet, wheels, etc . . you'll not be that far away from the super-bikes of today and you'll still have thousands of dollars in your pocket!!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: May 25, 17 10:16
Quote Reply
Re: P3 Aluminum on a budget [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
Murdock wrote:

Can't you get a new, open-mold carbon fiber frame in China for about the same as this ~15 year old aluminum P3 would cost with shipping?

That's what I would do. There are some very cool CF frames out there, and these frames have been out long enough to show that they don't explode upon riding, contrary to a lot of the initial early skepticism.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, that is early 2000s - probably 2002 or 3. P3C came out in 2005 (I got one of the 1st). I still have my 1999 P3 - which I LOVE!!!! I like my P5 better, but that was and still is a great bike!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I believe so, I know at one point all 650 bikes from every brand were through the entire size range, up to 61's even!

According to this chart, the 57 is a 650:
http://web.archive.org/...con-P3.html#Geometry
Quote Reply
Re: P3 Aluminum on a budget [Steve B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha that chart is funny. I guess Cervelo at the time figured that people would forgo the exact size bike they need(unless you hit the exact size they had)and still cater to both wheel size demands. Need a 58 and want 650's, go with the 57. Need a 57 and want 700's, go with 58 or 55.

Probably worked to some extent, people back then were so clueless. Then they went to all carbon and the mold costs axed all the 650 bikes. Go with the old standard and just pretend that 650's aren't really needed anymore, or an advantage!

So looks like the OP has another factor to consider, riding 650's is a whole different mindset, one that I embrace whole heartedly .
Last edited by: monty: May 25, 17 16:22
Quote Reply
Re: P3 Aluminum on a budget [Steve B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where did this sheet come from? Everything else I've seen online - Bikepedia, other listings of 2002/3 P3 Aluminums - all show that only the smallest frame sizes are 650s.
Quote Reply
Re: P3 Aluminum on a budget [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
gary p wrote:
Murdock wrote:

That's what I would do. There are some very cool CF frames out there, and these frames have been out long enough to show that they don't explode upon riding, contrary to a lot of the initial early skepticism.

I've read quite a bit on China open mold frames and just don't feel comfortable going that route. And, they're not near as cheap as they were 5 years ago. It's hard to find a frameset under $700. I could get this P3 aluminum frame and build the whole thing out for that.

All the Chinese carbon TT frames I've found recently are pretty complicated setups (hidden brakes, integrated cockpits, etc.). I'd probably be interested if I could find one under $500 that was a less complicated frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was like you at one point. I bought a frame just like this for $300, though it was a 58 with 700c wheels. I thought i would build it up for another 3-400. I grew impatient waiting for good deals and ened up soending close to $1k all in

It was super fast but super long and low, im 6'3 and felt a bit stretched out. I ended up selling it this year for around $600. Im riding my dads felt b16 for one race this season, it seems like a much nicer ride.

I think if you really want to save money look for a complete bike

Nothing to see here
Quote Reply

Prev Next