Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

P2 - structural or cosmetic?
Quote | Reply
Is this bubbling on my wife's P2C a paint/cosmetic or carbon/structural issue?

The attached photos show the bubbles around where the brake cable enters the frame on the top tube. The bubble also has the paint raised about 1mm out towards the C in Cervelo which is harder to make out in the photos, the bubble ends at the end of the C which appears in the photo as sort of a dent.

Should I take the bike to the local shop to have it checked? To me it looks like a structural issue that might only get worse. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Quote Reply
Re: P2 - structural or cosmetic? [sorr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine has been like that for years....so i would say cosmetic
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had similar on old P2 and I never thought of it as anything but cosmetic.

On the internet, you can be anything you want. It is a pity so many people choose to be stupid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi sorr,

Cosmetic. The bubbling is the aluminum cable stop corroding. The dent is the end of the cable stop where it's bonded into the frame.

This is the internal cable stop (ICS) in aluminum. We used this design to reduce aero drag (internal cables) while simultaneously reducing cable friction, rattling and weight (no housing inside the frame).

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Last edited by: damon_rinard: Jul 23, 14 15:41
Quote Reply
Re: P2 - structural or cosmetic? [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:
Hi sorr,

Cosmetic. The bubbling is the aluminum cable stop corroding. The dent is the end of the cable stop where it's bonded into the frame.

This is the internal cable stop (ICS) in aluminum. We used this design to reduce aero drag (internal cables) while simultaneously reducing cable friction, rattling and weight (no housing inside the frame).

Cheers,

Thanks for the replies, good to know it is not a structural issue.

However if it is a aluminum cable stop bonded in the frame corroding is that not a bad thing? What can be done to stop it for getting worse? Sand area and repaint?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi sorr,

Yes, annoying but not critical, and not covered under warranty.

As you mentioned, stopping aluminum corrosion requires sanding, and also anti-corrosion treatment before touch up painting. An experienced paint shop should be able to do these steps; it's not likely a home repair will be satisfactory. We recommend Hot Tubes. Toby has done some amazing paint work with Cervelos. Warning - it's tempting to go wild with custom paint!

http://www.hottubes.com/Cervelo_Custom_Paint.html

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply