Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Oversized baggage Embargo on for Cozumel Nov.15 - Jan15 WTF!!!
Quote | Reply
Just checked with United Airlines to see what the charges will be to get my bike to and from IM Coz on my flights and was informed there is an oversized baggage embargo on during this time period so no bike cases allowed or anything over 62 linear inches.

The rep said this is imposed by the country and nothing they can do. Surely they have to make an exception as there will be 1000+ people travelling with their bikes during that time period???? I asked the airline rep the same question and was told it was up to the discretion of the ticketing agent so I think there is some leeway???

Proud Kiwami Ambassador/Team Member
ask me anything about:
https://kiwamitri.com
Quote Reply
Re: Oversized baggage Embargo on for Cozumel Nov.15 - Jan15 WTF!!! [trijunkie123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ship your bike Fedx through Bikeflights

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Oversized baggage Embargo on for Cozumel Nov.15 - Jan15 WTF!!! [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
is TriBikeTransport an option for you?
Quote Reply
Re: Oversized baggage Embargo on for Cozumel Nov.15 - Jan15 WTF!!! [stevenyoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevenyoo wrote:
is TriBikeTransport an option for you?

probably too late for TBT
Quote Reply
Re: Oversized baggage Embargo on for Cozumel Nov.15 - Jan15 WTF!!! [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah TBT is not an option and Bikeflights would be just over $1000 US, I'm in Canada. I have an email in to IM Coz organizers to see if they can get an exemption for the athletes travelling in with bikes or there could be a lot of angry people!!!

ask me anything about:
Quote Reply
Re: Oversized baggage Embargo on for Cozumel Nov.15 - Jan15 WTF!!! [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Oversized baggage Embargo on for Cozumel Nov.15 - Jan15 WTF!!! [trijunkie123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always figured most people TBT'd. That's what I did in 2013. Was too easy to not do it.
Quote Reply
Re: Oversized baggage Embargo on for Cozumel Nov.15 - Jan15 WTF!!! [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
I always figured most people TBT'd. That's what I did in 2013. Was too easy to not do it.

Aren't you without your bike for 2-3 weeks with TBT? I don't understand how anyone uses the service with that the case!
Last edited by: mvenneta: Nov 10, 16 6:31
Quote Reply
Re: Oversized baggage Embargo on for Cozumel Nov.15 - Jan15 WTF!!! [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel sorry for all those that only have 1 bike...

but more seriously, yes. especially for cozumel, i believe i dropped off the bike ~2.5 weeks before the race. my girlfriend faced the same issue at kona, so we converted her road bike to a tri bike and duplicated the position (other than crankarm length) on her road bike. it's pretty easy to do that, usually.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trijunkie123 wrote:
Just checked with United Airlines to see what the charges will be to get my bike to and from IM Coz on my flights and was informed there is an oversized baggage embargo on during this time period so no bike cases allowed

I'm guessing this is in response to your election results? "We're gonna refuse your bikes" seems like a fair response to "were gonna build a wall."

Happened a lot faster than I would have guessed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
interesting

https://www.united.com/...baggage/embargo.aspx

near the middle of the page

edit: American Airlines does not mention Cancun.

I think it's an airline thing
Last edited by: jaretj: Nov 10, 16 7:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try to buy or borrow a Ruster Hen House bike case--it fits within the 62" limit, so saves you money in the process as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This sucks.. I booked my flight direct to Cozumel with United, and at the time, the embargo ended Nov 15. Now they added a new embargo period. This is serious crap. Let us know if IM COZ organizers get back to you. I am also going to contact them. I found a great business class flight, and the bike case was going to be no charge. Thanks for the heads up.
Quote Reply
Re: Oversized baggage Embargo on for Cozumel Nov.15 - Jan15 WTF!!! [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:
James Haycraft wrote:

Aren't you without your bike for 2-3 weeks with TBT? I don't understand how anyone uses the service with that the case!

I drop my bike off in Los Angeles 11/13 for 11/27 race. So I miss one weekend ride on the tri bike but I do have a road bike. Would be hard otherwise
Last edited by: ChrisM: Nov 10, 16 8:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're gonna have to get a ruster hen house I think. I would doubt that the RD has any influence at all over airline policies regardless of how many people are coming for the race. Cozumel doesn't suffer a lack of tourists, especially over the winter holidays
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And if worst comes to worst. Not ideal but better than no bike (maybe)

http://www.sombrerorentals.com/?page_id=64
Quote Reply
Re: Oversized baggage Embargo on for Cozumel Nov.15 - Jan15 WTF!!! [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The rep I spoke with said it had nothing to do with the airline, Mexico or Coz imposed the embargo. I'm beginning to question that as well as another poster said the so called embargo was supposed to be lifted Nov. 15 which is what I saw on the United website when I booked my flights. Going to push back more with United and look into the "oversized baggage embargo"by Coz, can't see them wanting to deter tourists.

ask me anything about:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I doubt the RD has any sway there either but I hope it works out. That does truly suck that you have to deal with this issue this close to race day
Quote Reply
Re: Oversized baggage Embargo on for Cozumel Nov.15 - Jan15 WTF!!! [kcb203] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately, this is not true. I bought an armored Hen House this year because I would break even on the cost compared to flying my bike to several events. On the way home worlds in Cozumel a United agent called me on it and measured. The main case wasn't even close to 62"...closer to 70" IIRC. I threw enough of a fit that they let me slide without an oversized fee but YMMV.

kcb203 wrote:
Try to buy or borrow a Ruster Hen House bike case--it fits within the 62" limit, so saves you money in the process as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Oversized baggage Embargo on for Cozumel Nov.15 - Jan15 WTF!!! [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TH3_FRB wrote:
Unfortunately, this is not true. I bought an armored Hen House this year because I would break even on the cost compared to flying my bike to several events. On the way home worlds in Cozumel a United agent called me on it and measured. The main case wasn't even close to 62"...closer to 70" IIRC. I threw enough of a fit that they let me slide without an oversized fee but YMMV.

kcb203 wrote:

I've never heard of anyone having a problem with the size of a Hen House before. Did you contact Ruster about this?
Quote Reply
Re: Oversized baggage Embargo on for Cozumel Nov.15 - Jan15 WTF!!! [Daniel Clarke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Daniel Clarke wrote:
TH3_FRB wrote:

kcb203 wrote:

I've never heard of anyone having a problem with the size of a Hen House before. Did you contact Ruster about this?

Aren't the Hen Houses on sale right now, too?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Oversized baggage Embargo on for Cozumel Nov.15 - Jan15 WTF!!! [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crescent Point Energy is in Colorado, right? Still available through TBT

http://www.tribiketransport.com/services/reservations?action=shops&event_id=a0HA000000NHv4fMAD

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Oversized baggage Embargo on for Cozumel Nov.15 - Jan15 WTF!!! [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TH3_FRB wrote:

kcb203 wrote:

I've flown five times with mine and never had a problem. They do use an odd method of measurement--it's the length on the ground, not the entire horizontal dimension. I think ultimately it depends on the gate agent. It's helpful to prepay the checked bag fee and to use the luggage guys outside (who take tips).
Quote Reply
Re: Oversized baggage Embargo on for Cozumel Nov.15 - Jan15 WTF!!! [Daniel Clarke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

It's reasonably known that it's an issue with the Hen House. The instructions and disclaimer used to specifically addrss it. Not sure if they do anymore.

I had one for awhile and was about 50/50 on avoiding fees. Eventually moved on because didn't think the uncertainty was worth the trade off of the additional time necessary to pack and unpack the case/bike. I now have a Scicon Aerocomfort and 100% of the time I get fees* but also 100% of the time I'm packed up in 5 mins or less.

*avoided fees on way back from Kona 2014 when the gate agent was nice to me and gifted me a bike fee free flight.
Quote Reply
Re: Oversized baggage Embargo on for Cozumel Nov.15 - Jan15 WTF!!! [Bleucheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pressed further with United and was told it's ok now to bring my bike case on the flights will just be subject to extra charges at the discretion of the ticket agent. Problem solved for now, I will flip out if I get to the airport and the story changes!!! Obviously the "embargo" was imposed by United, f-ing airlines!!!!

ask me anything about:
Quote Reply

Prev Next