Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Overdeveloped inner thigh muscles?
Quote | Reply
I started running about 3 years ago and from the beginning have always had chafing problems with
my inner thighs. This has forced me to always wear some sort of compression short under shorts
or just run with my tri shorts at all times. I can sometimes get away with using some body glide on
my shorter runs.

I understand that a lot of people have the same problem, but from what I gather they all seem to suffer
because they are not very lean and therefore have a little extra fat causing their legs to touch. I am a
pretty lean guy at 6'1 152 and about 6% body fat. So, what's my problem?

I was thinking that I may just have overdeveloped gracilis or adductor muscles but would their be anything
I can do about it. I also seem to be very inflexible in that region. I'm not sure if that is the result of the
over-development or vice versa.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Quote Reply
Re: Overdeveloped inner thigh muscles? [MaxKOTWT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
unless you're doing some pretty substantial resistance training on those in particular, I doubt there's any relative hypertrophy...
I had massive chafe during my club track workout today. Tomorrows run won't be pretty
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me, the chafing is from the shorts when they get wet from sweat, not the legs rubbing together. As long as my shorts stay dry I'm ok.

Wearing tri shorts under the running shorts oh humid or hard effort days solved the issue. (as a guy, its just not cool to sport tri shorts when running)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm...at 6'1 and 152 you're definitely not pushing around the kind of bulk I am (same weight, but 6 inches shorter), yet I don't have the chafing issues. I get the same thing occasionally when I swim, but it's because my hamstrings and adductors are huge. Maybe you have really sensitive skin? Something tells me that you may just need to suffer through the chafing once or twice, HTFU, and then maybe your skin will develop some sort of minor adaptation (like a callous, but obviously not to that extent) that will result in prevention of chafing in the future...

Do you shave your legs? If so, does the irritation stem from shaving frequently? No homo, but do you lotion up your legs on a frequent basis if you do shave? I've found that when I don't lube up my legs on a regular basis in between shaves that I get some serious irritation/chafing issues...

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same problem here, 5'10 160lbs severe chaffing inner thighs. I can't wear traditional running shorts got to use tights or some kind of compression shorts. Moving to these hot and humid conditions down south in NC seemed to set it off, never remembered a problem up north.

Glide and the other slick stuff remedies offer only temp cure.

Ron W.
Quote Reply
Re: Overdeveloped inner thigh muscles? [SegFault] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SegFault wrote:
For me, the chafing is from the shorts when they get wet from sweat, not the legs rubbing together. As long as my shorts stay dry I'm ok.

Wearing tri shorts under the running shorts oh humid or hard effort days solved the issue. (as a guy, its just not cool to sport tri shorts when running)

Sure, the chafing is obviously worse if I'm wearing shorts that are soaked with sweat. The annoying thing is that is seems to happen on the coldest and most
days as well. I run with a few guys who are bigger than me, but equally good runners, and when I see them standing strait their legs don't touch at all but mine
do. This is odd to me because I would even say I have skinnier legs than they do but they don't suffer the same problem. It even goes as far as eventually
wearing the inside of running tights, tri shorts, etc.

It isn't like the problem is keeping me from producing results as I am very competitive and running is my strongest discipline. It just seems odd and I was wondering
if anyone had an answer to why it was happening. I don't mind sporting running tights but on the hottest days here in the south you want to have as little clothing on as
possible touching your skin ha. It definitely isn't worth HTFU and building calluses. Like I said, I can use body glide and get away with it, but after 13 miles of your legs
slamming into each other one starts to get a little annoyed with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its just a matter of body type. So don't listen to folks that don't understand that you aren't built just like they are. I am 6" and weigh 165. My bodyfat is about 6% too. My legs rub so much that I can NEVER wear regular running shorts alone. I always have to wear some kind of tight beneath my running shorts. Not only that, but my running shorts will often bunch up between my legs as I run.

Its not the biggest deal in the world. The tights are just part of my wardrobe for running. Triathletes race in just tights.
Quote Reply
Re: Overdeveloped inner thigh muscles? [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok all you guys suck!

at 5'8" and 172#'s and thighs the size of tree trunks I have chafing issues. that is until i figured out how to put on body glide before all runs. now i can run in splits for as long as i like and have no issues!!!

Tim
Quote Reply
Re: Overdeveloped inner thigh muscles? [TimAndrus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimAndrus wrote:
ok all you guys suck!

at 5'8" and 172#'s and thighs the size of tree trunks I have chafing issues. that is until i figured out how to put on body glide before all runs. now i can run in splits for as long as i like and have no issues!!!

What does it mean to run in splits?
Quote Reply
Re: Overdeveloped inner thigh muscles? [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
split shorts. those ones you see runners wearing all the time....... i can now wear those with no chafing issues.

don't knock them until you successfully can run in them. it's like being naked!

Tim
Quote Reply
Re: Overdeveloped inner thigh muscles? [TimAndrus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
splits FTW..spring summer fall winter...they are useful year around.... I just found windbriefs in splits so they are mor manageable with those "arctic winds" of michigan :D

Lifelong Endurance Coach
Triathlon - Running - Cycling - Nutrition
Check us out online to see what we offer
http://www.lifelongendurance.com
Quote Reply
Re: Overdeveloped inner thigh muscles? [deathb4DNF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i actually found myself running on the treadmill now because it's cold out (and raining) and i don't want to run in anything other than my splits.......... so it's inside and on the treadmill for me until the sun comes out again, in May

Tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Too much Thigh Master?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to have this problem, but recently tried the Brookss Infiniti Notch short. I'm in Central Florida and suffer pretty humid conditions. This short has a boxer brief liner that protects my skin from the movement of wet fabric. Hope this helps!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suffered from chaffing for years and only ran with some form of compression short or spandex, and the reason was very simple. I was a breastroke swimmer during my competition days and was overdeveloped. End result rubbing. Don't swim breast stroke anymore, no problem.

There are probably many sports or sports related movement that involve those particular muscles, maybe exercise routines as well. Also running shorts have got rather big and baggy the last few years, and when they get wet from sweat, they are a real problem.
Body glide and spandex :) will usually cure the problem
Quote Reply
Re: Overdeveloped inner thigh muscles? [phog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think this is very similar to my problem. I played soccer through high school and started running and doing tris afterward. Maybe
it has something to do with that. Although I have stopped playing soccer and still have the problem.

@deathb4DNF I know! I would love to wear split shorts for that exact reason. Plus, they show more leg and less... you know. I personally
don't mind it, but showing up at a small town 5k tattooed, shirtless, with tights showing everything you got, people aren't super excited to
approach you haha. Regardless of how bad you smoke the field. That and I work at a specialty running store and just want a reason to buy
all of the cool shorts.

I might as well start hitting the thigh master really hard. If my legs are going to have this problem, they might as well be the biggest ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AT 6'1" 152lbs. you are not over-developed anywhere! Peoples' legs rub together when they run. I used to be fat and my legs rubbed. I lost 55lbs. and they still rub. That's why ther are multiple companies that make lubes for this problem. Horses rear legs rub too now that i think about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have knock-knees? If your legs bow in at the knees more than most people, this might be the reason why your thighs are rubbing together. I have seen plenty of skinny people that have know knees and they are about ready to start a fire between their thighs.
Quote Reply
Re: Overdeveloped inner thigh muscles? [jgarza22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rub some Body Glide on your inner thighs, rubbing/chaffing issue should be resolved :) I had the same thing going on with running and short running shorts. I have "larger" developed legs/inner thighs, thanks genetics and this solved the issue...or compression shorts would probably work also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A gait analysis might reveal your feet landing at the midline, might indicate gluteus or abdominal weakness.
Quote Reply
Re: Overdeveloped inner thigh muscles? [JRAJR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maybe you just have fat tops of your thighs I was unaware of there being a muscle on the inner thigh that you could develop that much!

maybe try wearing some lycra shorts under your normal shorts, that works for me or vaseline is pretty good to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.bagbalm.com/

Use this, problem solved. Lasts for hours without having to reapply.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could simply be a natural anatomical issue. I'm just spitballing here, but if your Q-angle is not large enough your thighs may simply just be too close in proximity when you run. I would assume this would be determined by the size of your pelvis/femur angle. I know that if I wear very short shorts my legs do touch, but my GF doesn't have this issue. Females tend to have larger Q-angles than men to due pelvic differences. Furthermore, sometimes my GF hits her knees together when she runs.

ex: Male femur angle = II , Female femur angle = \ /
Quote Reply
Re: Overdeveloped inner thigh muscles? [seifarth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Many shorts (even "running" shorts) have caused me to have some chaffing issues.

These by Nike have a built in compression short. Great support and chaffing is eliminated. Might want to give them a look.

http://store.nike.com/...d-381657/pgid-381659

http://www.fraserbicycle.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
run on the track, on one of the lines. if you notice that each foot strike is not on or close to the line then you might have a problem with your leg rotation. the wider your landing zone is the more the adductor muscles need to work, so maybe just take a look at your stride. also, this could be caused by doing squats with too wide a stance but i would def look at your running.
Quote Reply

Prev Next