Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Outdoor FTP test route in Boulder
Quote | Reply
Next week I will be doing a 30 minute FTP test outdoors in Boulder. I need a route that has no required stops, no sharp turns and no significant downhills that might require me to let up on the power a bit. I was thinking that I would do it on the first part of the climb up to Ward, right after you turn off of 36. Is there any reason doing the test on a climb is a bad idea? Are there other routes you guys would recommend for this? Thanks!

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Outdoor FTP test route in Boulder [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a great question and hopefully more people will chime in. I would think that if you do your ftp test on the ward climb your training zones will be a bit inflated and make it really hard to hit your zones when your not climbing. With that said, Im finding it hard to come up with a 30 min route that doesn't have a stop sign or a significant downhill that also doesn't involve a sustained climb. Maybe set the ward climb as a benchmark test and use that route every time for testing to evaluate progress with the understanding that your training zones when your not climbing may be a bit lower. I understand that's not exact science but with sport it rarely is. Plus if you have races that are not at altitude its going to be unrealistic to pace strictly by your power meter anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Outdoor FTP test route in Boulder [mdgreene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why would doing it on a climb set my zones too high? My max 30 minute power output should be the same on a flat as on a climb.

Edit: also yes, it is ftp at altitude. I have discussed this with my coach... he has a plan for sea level races

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Mar 16, 15 9:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The standard Boulder route for a 20 minute TT/FTP test is the road up to Jamestown. This will be right off of highway 36 as the gradual climb will start immediately.

You could also wait till the turnoff to the Ward climb. There will be some steeper sections there and it will be a few degrees cooler.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Why would doing it on a climb set my zones too high?

Because most find that they can hold more power on a steady climb then they can on a flat, at least relative to perceived effort.
Quote Reply
Re: Outdoor FTP test route in Boulder [mdgreene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdgreene wrote:
That's a great question and hopefully more people will chime in. I would think that if you do your ftp test on the ward climb your training zones will be a bit inflated and make it really hard to hit your zones when your not climbing. With that said, Im finding it hard to come up with a 30 min route that doesn't have a stop sign or a significant downhill that also doesn't involve a sustained climb. Maybe set the ward climb as a benchmark test and use that route every time for testing to evaluate progress with the understanding that your training zones when your not climbing may be a bit lower. I understand that's not exact science but with sport it rarely is. Plus if you have races that are not at altitude its going to be unrealistic to pace strictly by your power meter anyway.

The whole point of doing a TT on an incline is that you do not have time to rest or coast. It is the best way to get an AP TT test done.

Power is power. Climbing just gives you the best shot at maintaining your max average for as long as you can.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Outdoor FTP test route in Boulder [colinlaughery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is mine. Technically there is one stoplight and a few short downhills.

https://app.strava.com/segments/697089

Last edited by: v0coder: Mar 16, 15 9:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2 routes that I'd suggest are:
(Route 1 - Hygiene) Start at Hwy 36 & Broadway. Follow Hwy 36 all the way to Hwy 66 (Ute Hwy) in Lyons and turn right (east). Stay on Hwy 66 until N. 75th and then turn right (south). This has a nice shoulder all the way to N. 75th and you only have to "slow" to make 2 right-hand turns. Recover at Mary's Market in Hygiene! http://www.mapmyride.com/...ullscreen/653207368/

(Route 2 - Carter Lake) Start at N. 75th and Hwy 66 and head north. N 75th bends to the right (east) and becomes Woodland Rd. Turn left (north) on N. 83rd (it becomes S County Road 23E at W. County Line Rd). Stay on S. Co Rd 23E. The road forks near the 8.5M mark with a stop sign where it crosses W. Co Rd 8 but thje traffic is usually light. Go left (staying on S. Co Rd 23E) until W. Co Rd 8E and then turn left (west) toward Carter Lake. http://www.mapmyride.com/...ullscreen/653200140/
--

Straightenin' the curves; Flattenin' the hills
------------------------------------------------------------
Coached by Mike Plumb @ TriPower MultiSports
https://www.strava.com/athletes/1149072 - https://www.instagram.com/thoswoods/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Outdoor FTP test route in Boulder [More Cowbell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Route 1 looks pretty good. Route 2 would be good too but it would leave me with a 90 minute ride to get back home after the test!

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not Boulder but lookout mountain in golden would work- it's a climb at about an average 5% grade

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
colinlaughery wrote:
mdgreene wrote:

The whole point of doing a TT on an incline is that you do not have time to rest or coast. It is the best way to get an AP TT test done.

Power is power. Climbing just gives you the best shot at maintaining your max average for as long as you can.

Could you say the same if you did a test on the trainer when it comes to power is power? What is the % difference between an FTP on the trainer and outdoor?
Quote Reply
Re: Outdoor FTP test route in Boulder [GAUG3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GAUG3 wrote:
colinlaughery wrote:
mdgreene wrote:

Could you say the same if you did a test on the trainer when it comes to power is power? What is the % difference between an FTP on the trainer and outdoor?

I can personally hold the same power inside as I can outside. That's not the case for many though.

Do an outdoor FTP test as well as an indoor. For lots of athletes the number can be drastically different.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
colinlaughery wrote:
The standard Boulder route for a 20 minute TT/FTP test is the road up to Jamestown. This will be right off of highway 36 as the gradual climb will start immediately .

Great route.

The downside of doing anything on 36 is that there can be other cyclists that you'll have to overtake - I'd rather not be doing a test on that road, having to check for cars coming up behind me at 60MPH. There are also a couple of significant downhills from Broadway to Rte 66.

Going up to Jamestown hill have less vehicular traffic and you'll have the opportunity to have a more consistent power output from start to finish. Best part is gravity can take you back to 36.

Quote | Reply
colinlaughery wrote:
mdgreene wrote:

Just curious Colin. You can hold the same power on flat TT as one with a 2-3% grade to J-town? I know Joe Friel recommends this route too. I use the top-secret TDB route. ;-). You've probably used it too.

Mike Ricci
2017 USAT World Team Coach
USAT National Coach of the Year
Coaching Triathletes since 1992.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The ride toward Ward is a reasonable choice. Note that the section heading toward Jamestown is only open on Sundays. On other days you can head toward Ward instead, with only one intersection at which you'd need to pay close attention. (plus, if you're quite strong you'd get to Jamestown in less than 30 mins). The snow has basically melted off that road (it was 81 degrees in Boulder today [Monday]). There is a lot of sand in the shoulder, but the traffic is not usually bad. A 30 minute ride up from Hwy 36 toward Ward would mean you'll encounter several sections in the 5-7% range, along with a lot of lower angle stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey I didn't know you that you are out here. We need to go ride sometime this summer.
Quote Reply
Re: Outdoor FTP test route in Boulder [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like my coach is nixing the uphill idea. He wants me on flat/rolling terrain. There will be a few times where I will have to coast and brake for turns or some short downhills (no more than a few seconds each), but he likes that it is more like a race. So we'll see how that goes.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Outdoor FTP test route in Boulder [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey! Yeah, for sure. I think I still have your contact info. I moved out here in October from NYC.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice! I'm down in Denver now with my fiancé. I'll send you my info again tonight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, Here's the route I picked and the results. I'm pretty happy with it. I rode 98% of it in the aero bars, except for a few short punchy climbs and a couple of turns. Rode on a shiv, aluminum box wheel up front, Jet 9 in the rear. 50 degrees out, 6mph wind from the west. 271 NP, covering 12.6 miles in 30 min at 5200 ft, 390ft elevation gain

http://tpks.ws/vEEN

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Mar 26, 15 11:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not use the road out to Rabbit Mtn. of Hwy 66? If you need more flat real estate start east closer to Hygiene--head West then turn right onto Rabbit Mtn. No stop signs & very few cars once heading North to Rabbit Mtn.
Quote Reply