Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Warning about Outback Events B.C. [Ironboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good Luck, Joe! Hope to see you back on top this next season. Z
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like I posted my concerns at the same time as this Was posted. Thanks for letting us know the reasons. Best of luck to you. Outback races are great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, glad that has been cleared up it was making a right mess of my race scheduling. I'm in board for Oliver Oly and Half and also the Osoyoos Half if we're good to go.

I assume others have the same "still don't want to hand over my money just yet". Maybe there is some way of alleviating these fears with some form of "we're paid, it's on" reply from Oliver Parks? Just an idea.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thank you joe for commenting! i m wishing you the best in the coming challenge and we will see you at the start of the season...... You done some amazing work in the past, looking forward to enjoy another oliver half ironman this year!!!

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Warning about Outback Events B.C. [TriTrev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Joe, I hope your fight with Depression is something you can give your full attention too, just being able to tell the world is a great step to freedom.

Having said that....Outback events, the company, have a reputation for financial problems going back several years, you must address these....All of them, no one must be left behind, all money owing to organisations, volunteeer groups, athetes must be repaid.

I have raced your events, and totally enjoyed each race day. I look forward to being able to race your events again, and hopefully in time be able to laugh about "remember when"......There are a lot of athletes that will support your events, but I'm sure I'm not the only one, that is waitng for you to show us that everything has been put right

I find it disturbing that your events are not listed as TriBC sanctioned for 2013, as you have been collecting TriBC day registration fees from registered athletes....I hope that this is just an oversight

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>X
If you run long enough....something is bound to happen
Last edited by: TriTrev: Jan 27, 13 21:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I hope you get everything sorted out.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Joe, I wish you luck overcoming your personal and business problems. You stage first class events and I have always found you to be a friendly, approachable and caring race director.
All the best,
Pat Murphy
Quote Reply
Re: Warning about Outback Events B.C. [Patmurphy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would like to second (third, fourth, etc) that sentiment - I have done both the Oliver and Osoyoos Half races in the past. These were fantastic events that as an athlete - I would only rave about (well, ok the Desert Half is freakin' hard and hot - but excellent litmus test prior to IMC/Challenge Penticton - I found it harder than the full distance....).

It takes a very big effort to admit the "difficulties" you have faced / are facing - and I applaud you for your honesty and forthcoming. Your events are an incredible opportunity for the Okanagan to host and showcase the area...it would be a terrible shame if they were lost. I commend you for allowing others to help you through these trying times (no pun intended).

I hope you are able to meet not only the requests of Oliver Parks and Recreation - but also the volunteer groups waiting for funding. I benefitted from their energy on race day - and would hate to see them leave with a sour taste in their mouths regarding triathlon. If at all possible - please make this right.

All the best in 2013 - I am sure with the help and support - Outback will have amazing races for the upcoming season!

And of the utmost importance, please take care of yourself.

Quote | Reply
Best to you and your family Joe. You are a stand up guy and I know you will find solid footing soon, hang in there, it will get better!

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Re: Warning about Outback Events B.C. [karma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Best of luck for the upcoming season Joe

Formely stef32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear it Joe, and I really and truly hope that you find your feet quickly.

I really hate seeing stories like this but especially when it happens to a person/organization that I know and like. I've always maintained that Joe & Sarah were among the very best RDs out there (at least from an athlete's perspective) and that Outback Events has always put on top notch races. Little details were always covered. Big ones could be taken for granted (again, as an athlete). If I still did triathlon I'd sign up now just to support Joe. Hell - maybe I'll contemplate a comeback. (Wait... does this mean I'd have to actually train?)

Joe, you've got a tough road ahead of you but please know that you've still got a lot of people in your corner. Bad things happen to everyone - it's how one deals with them that reveals a person's character. And I for one believe in you.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really enjoyed the couple of years I helped with Oliver, OK so it wasn't so easy but if people new the level of commitment it took not just to put on events but also run a company between the two of you maybe they would not be so fast with the pitch forks. Life goes on my friend and hopefully everythingthing will work out, you stood at the finish line putting medals on people and shaking their hands as they were what was important to you, hopefully they will remember that!
You have done so much for the athletes and communities that hopefully once things are caught up it will all be water under the bridge my friend.
Best of luck Joey!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know what goes on behind the scenes but the races themselves have always been incredible experiences for the athletes.

I went and watched this video from 2009 after reading this.

http://www.outbackevents.ca/...eos2009Quicktime.htm

That was an awesome day! It was a huge honor to be racing out there with all the guys I looked up to (and still look up to) Jonnyo, Dukyle, DrTommy, MarkyV, Waysub4, anthony'sarmy, kevcutjar, Itzeasy, Mike Neill, Olly Piggin Scott Tremblay, Dave Matheson, the list goes on....

I was waffling between Long Course and Short Course racing and after that day I was %100 sold on the racing long!

Can't say thank you enough for that amazing experience.

Website - Follow Me On Strava - Follow Me On Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Joe, just for the record, as the original posters 'nickname' comes without a real name associated with it, my 'nickname' is Tri-Poser. This was not me.

I wish people couldn't post anonymously in general but it is really bad especially when some dude makes a post like this without having the courage to post his name so there is no possibility of assuming it is someone else.

Joe, sorry to hear about your current difficulties and I hope you can work through this.

Trev Williams

Trev Williams
http://www.thedoctrine.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Warning about Outback Events B.C. [Symonds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've known Joe since the beginning of Oliver, have assisted on the race course, done his timing etc. As fellow race directors we have shared a passion for providing a meaningful race experience for the athlete, and offered mutual support and advice. Joe and Sarah have always been committed to quality events. For years they provided essential support to Tri BC. However things have gone in the last two years, I can guarentee you Joe knows where his responsiblities lay especially related to volunteer organizations. I would also caution about gossip re: volunteer organizations usually very few in an organization are actually in the loop as agreements are made. I think Joe has earned a certain amount of grace from the tri community for the tremendous efforts he has made over the years. I would hope the tri community in BC supports him as he sorts it out. I believe, he will not put on a race that he feels is unsafe, unsupported or an asset to the athletes and the community.
Quote Reply
Re: Warning about Outback Events B.C. [tri-poser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trev, bloody glad to match up your name with tri-poser tagline not 'that other one'.....

Hope all is well with you and The Doctrine is kicking arses!

Later mate,

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: Warning about Outback Events B.C. [tri-poser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri-poser wrote:
the original posters 'nickname' comes without a real name associated with it, my 'nickname' is Tri-Poser. This was not me.

I wish people couldn't post anonymously in general but it is really bad especially when some dude makes a post like this without having the courage to post his name so there is no possibility of assuming it is someone else.

Does it matter what my real name is ?......it was a reported news fact, not some made up gossip, ......and if you checked my profile you would have seen next to real name....not with the wingnuts on this forum

Now do you still have an issue with someone warning other athletes about companies that are using bad financial practices ?...or is it because it involves someone you know, first rule of news reporting....seperate the story from personal feelings

....I hope Joe can right the ship......but this isn't the first time that Outback has had issues with money over the years, it is not a one off single event, or one missed bill, and the non payment of funds to volunteer groups that without their time we cannot race, is totally unforgiveable.....hopefully you can seperate your feelings and understand that the Tri community as a whole is tarnished by this story.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>X
If you run long enough....something is bound to happen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriTrev wrote:
tri-poser wrote:
the original posters 'nickname' comes without a real name associated with it, my 'nickname' is Tri-Poser. This was not me.

Does it matter what my real name is ?......it was a reported news fact, not some made up gossip, ......and if you checked my profile you would have seen next to real name....not with the wingnuts on this forum

Now do you still have an issue with someone warning other athletes about companies that are using bad financial practices ?...or is it because it involves someone you know, first rule of news reporting....seperate the story from personal feelings

....I hope Joe can right the ship......but this isn't the first time that Outback has had issues with money over the years, it is not a one off single event, or one missed bill, and the non payment of funds to volunteer groups that without their time we cannot race, is totally unforgiveable.....hopefully you can seperate your feelings and understand that the Tri community as a whole is tarnished by this story.
-----

x2..I also hope there is a good outcome here but you are right the actions of Outback Events will affect all other events in that part of the valley including how Challenge is received in Oliver.Either fix it or hand the races over to someone else..

-----
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Joe,

Keep it focused.

You'll work this out.

What refreshing honesty and candor on the forum.

To the rest - Sometimes the real world gets a bit messy. That's why it's called the real world, not some made up fantasy world, with it's associated impossible expectations.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Feb 4, 13 17:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about the all of the issues Joe.

Where does this leave the Oliver event status?
I don't see anywhere where it has been officially cancelled.

All the best!
J
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Has anybody heard any update. The website entrants list hasn't been updated since Feb 18. I wonder if I should kiss my entry fee good bye and look for another race?
Quote Reply
Re: Warning about Outback Events B.C. [refuse2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
contact the host town and see if they have applied for permits

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Warning about Outback Events B.C. [refuse2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see that its listed on the Oliver Parks and rec website so that is a good sign

I also checked out their facebook page and it looks like someone looked into it and as of March 24th its a go

It would be good to get an official email from them with to put everyone at ease, I really like the outback events and hope they are going to continue I have some PB so set.

http://www.oliverrecreation.ca/...gory/special-events/

My Blog of Me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would seem Joe is at it again. He has skipped town and not paid his bill for the Fence Rentals provided by The Dump Truck Disposal of Kelowna for the Oliver Half Marathon on June 2, 2013.
We have tried emailing, texting, calling his office, and calling his cell phone - he never answers his phone. We have left countless messages - none returned. We know he is getting the messages as sometimes his voicemail says it is full, then later, we are able to leave a message - so we know he is listening to and deleting messages on a regular basis.
We are a very small company - and were very excited to be able to provide the Fencing for this event. It was to be a great job for us and a good chance to get our name out there. Instead, we are force to take the insurance off of one of our trucks as we are short the funds due to Joe's disappearance.
We are writing on this forum in hopes that someone has a way to contact Joe - and/or help us in some or any way to collect our money from him.
We can be reached anytime at 778-215-1111 or at info@thedumptruck.ca

Thank you
Quote Reply
Re: Warning about Outback Events B.C. [The Dump Truck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Dump Truck wrote:
It would seem Joe is at it again. He has skipped town and not paid his bill for the Fence Rentals provided by The Dump Truck Disposal of Kelowna for the Oliver Half Marathon on June 2, 2013.
We have tried emailing, texting, calling his office, and calling his cell phone - he never answers his phone. We have left countless messages - none returned. We know he is getting the messages as sometimes his voicemail says it is full, then later, we are able to leave a message - so we know he is listening to and deleting messages on a regular basis.
We are a very small company - and were very excited to be able to provide the Fencing for this event. It was to be a great job for us and a good chance to get our name out there. Instead, we are force to take the insurance off of one of our trucks as we are short the funds due to Joe's disappearance.
We are writing on this forum in hopes that someone has a way to contact Joe - and/or help us in some or any way to collect our money from him.
We can be reached anytime at 778-215-1111 or at info@thedumptruck.ca

Thank you

Assuming that the Desert Half is still on next month, you will probably find him in Osoyoos on July 7...
Good luck in getting this sorted out. I'm disappointed to hear your story.
Quote Reply

Prev Next