Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Other Swim Strokes?
Quote | Reply
Just got back from vacation where we had a pool that was about 18 yds. My 9 year old is on swim team and was doing IM's for fun (yes, he's crazy). I thought I would give it a shot too. Holy crap is that hard! The butterfly kills me, then the back stroke is bad because I'm just trying to recover from the BF. Breast stroke is a little better but I'm terrible at it and finally the freestyle I was a lot more comfortable. I'm sure I would have technically been DQ'ed as I know my form in BF and BS are bad.

I learned how to swim as an adult but have only ever done freestyle. I've gotten to be decent swimmer, at least in the world of triathlon where there seems to be a lot of people that learned as an adult. I'm a about a 36 min HIM and 1:13 IM; not the fastest but not the slowest.

So, just curious, any adult-learned swimmers out there that have forced themselves too learn other strokes? Did it help your tri swim? I'm not thinking of making breast stroke or butterfly a regular part of my training during the season but maybe something challenging to do in the off season.
Quote Reply
Re: Other Swim Strokes? [Burhed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Burhed wrote:
Just got back from vacation where we had a pool that was about 18 yds. My 9 year old is on swim team and was doing IM's for fun (yes, he's crazy). I thought I would give it a shot too. Holy crap is that hard! The butterfly kills me, then the back stroke is bad because I'm just trying to recover from the BF. Breast stroke is a little better but I'm terrible at it and finally the freestyle I was a lot more comfortable. I'm sure I would have technically been DQ'ed as I know my form in BF and BS are bad.
I learned how to swim as an adult but have only ever done freestyle. I've gotten to be decent swimmer, at least in the world of triathlon where there seems to be a lot of people that learned as an adult. I'm a about a 36 min HIM and 1:13 IM; not the fastest but not the slowest.
So, just curious, any adult-learned swimmers out there that have forced themselves too learn other strokes? Did it help your tri swim? I'm not thinking of making breast stroke or butterfly a regular part of my training during the season but maybe something challenging to do in the off season.

Can't report on myself since i swam my first 25 at age 5, but i have seen numerous masters swimmers and a few tri-guys, all of whom were adult onset, learn to swim very creditable fly, back, and breast. Pretty much invariably they all say it makes their freestyle feel much easier, as you've seen:) Fly should become much easier after just a few days of practice, since you're using almost same muscles as in your free. Back and breast are a bit harder to master IMO b/c they require your arms/legs to produce power at distinctly diff angles from fly/free. Not to say fly is easy at all though but, in any event, swimming, kicking, and pulling all 4 strokes, plus adding any your paddles and/or fins, certainly creates a huge amount of variety in the pool:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In an 18 yard pool, you can legally do underwater dolphin kick for virtually all if the fly leg. You just have to surface after 15 metres, or about 16 yards...

Eta. Most of the adult onset swimmers on my masters team stick to freestyle. I'm trying to convince them to branch out.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Jan 25, 15 19:08
Quote Reply
Re: Other Swim Strokes? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
for the pleasure of becoming a swimmer, new challenge, pleasure..... absolutly. In term of triathlon and performance related to freestyle, there is very little reason.

specificity is king!

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
iMO there's nothing like that final leg in an IM. Turning over from breast to free..... it just always feels so fast!

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Fly:

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do a fair bit of IM and Fly training. Then again my slowest stroke (breast) is faster than most triathletes.

Quote Reply
Re: Other Swim Strokes? [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's nice that your lane lines attach to the wall where they are supposed to. On the bulkhead side of our pool, the attachment point is about 3 or 4 inches above the surface. Which means that I constantly scrape my hand on the lane lines in fly sets, and occasionally free too.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New lane lines too. The old ones were getting rusty. Hooefully will race 400 IM Feb 21st. Not sure if I will do 200 Free or 200 Fly after.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started including fly into my swims a couple months ago and iit has helped a ton.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was supposed to race yesterday in Fredericton, but couldn't make it. Had to be at home in the morning, and Freddy is a 4 hr drive, plus the forecast was terrible (and the weather channel was right). Couldn't risk getting stuck in NB for the night.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+17 here.

Going to Edmonton tomorrow. Wearing red...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For Const. Wynn?

Before he joined the rcmp, he was a paramedic in Bridgewater NS. (That's where I work, for EMCI, which manages EHS operations). lots of folks here knew him well.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read he was first on scene at SwissAir 111

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't read that, but he very well might have been. The crash site would be in his dispatch area.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realAlbertan wrote:
My Fly:

Very nice, 8 spl in 25-m pool. It takes me about 9 in our 25-m outdoor pool, 8 in our 25-yd indoor pool. I really enjoy swimming fly and IM:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started swimming in my late 20's. I'm 31 now. I am really liking the 200 IM (not saying I'm any good at it...). If you're remotely interested... join a masters group. NOT a triathlon swim group. Swim with the real swimmers, and learn from them. It really is a lot of fun, and your freestyle will thank you for it!

Funny how you say the fly is killer, and back stroke is hard because you're recovering from fly. The first 200 IM I swam was quite an experience. Adrenaline took me through the fly, although the last few strokes I was starting to fall apart a bit, but then you magically have all this time to breathe with back stroke, so I found I was almost hyperventilating, or at least, breathing very heavily. Going from back to breast, you take a huge breath, turn, and are under for quite a while for the first underwater pull and I thought my lungs were just going to EXPLODE!! Needless to say, I came up and made the loudest gasp for breathe, and my race was essentially shot at that point as my strokes were so short just so I could just catch my breath. But I finished up, and somehow through it all, managed to at least turn correctly and not to get DQ'd. This was at our clubs pre-Christmas time trial. The guy next to me was also swimming the 200 IM for the first time, and racked up an impressive 7 DQ's in the one event. We both got awards at our Christmas party for the race for our various accomplishments. All in good fun =)

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Other Swim Strokes? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7 violations in just one race. Pretty sure that's some kind of a record!

And no one likes the back to breast transition. It never gets any less uncomfortable.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Almost no one like back to breast. I loved it because it meant the backstroke was over! Hate that stroke.

Formerly TriBrad02
Quote Reply
Re: Other Swim Strokes? [TriBrad02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me too! I suck at back and making that turn to breast brought me into my wheelhouse!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I stared swimming 4 years ago, now 40yo. I can't fly at all, back is okay (though I either stop way too early or smack my hand into the end of the pool). But I love breast stroke. I use it inbetween sets of free as a change up. I find it helps move different muscles and really lets me work on my glide and body position. Since I don't feel obliged to get to the other end of the pool any fast, I like the challenge of seeing how few strokes I can do with it while keeping a nice body position. And yeah, sometime I try to see how fast I can go as well.

As I end up in the middle to the back of the swim portion of events, I like having a few strokes in hand in case things start getting rough or I get caught behind slower swimmers.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started swimming 4 years ago (I'm now 32)... I was really bad.

I started to move up in the lanes and now I'm swimming with the faster moms (I'm a guy). Most of them swim IM strokes, so last year I started to pick those up, too. It was a REALLY hard year learning those strokes and trying to keep up, but it's paid off. I'm an ok fly-er, my breastroke keeps up with most of them, my backstroke is still shit, but my freestyle has improved a ton. I think part of that is that I'm now swimming the sets in the way that they were intended, and get to rest the freestyle muscles while we're swimming some of the other strokes. It's also nice to be able to break up the flutter kick on kick sets with another kick.... I only JUST learned how to whip and dolphin kick.

So, yeah.... I'd recommend learning the other strokes. I think it's helped me become a more balanced swimmer. It gives me a little more variety in the pool... and I think it's helped my overall swimming. However, the learning phase is REALLY tough.... you'll have to gut it out through a lot of sets. Much more than you would normally. So I wouldn't do it in the spring as you're gearing up for a tri season.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like jonnyo said, specificity is king and your times seem fast enough to me to work on specificity rather than broadening your experience.

IMO for MOP and beginners, it's worthwhile learning the other strokes for several reasons. It's helpful to have a "bail out" stroke. When it's not working in the OW, the ability to do a fair breaststroke or backstroke can be life saving and improve performance. My preference is breaststroke for sighting and the breaststroke kick discourages people from swimming over you. Backstroke may give you even more relief but you can't see and someone will probably row over and ask if you need help. You don't seem to fall into that category though.

There does seem to be some positive crossover with even some knowledge of the other strokes. While many think of freestyle as left, right, left, right, it seems that some really good freestylers have some wave like undulation in their body similar to breaststroke and fly. Backstroke seems to benefit the kick and the backward rotation of the shoulders helps to offset the forward rotation of free.

If I were you, and I wish I were as fast as you, I'd do intervals of 50-100 free and breakup those intervals by doing the other strokes when failing adaption sets in. You might notice something you like while recovering.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Other Swim Strokes? [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My preference is breaststroke for sighting and the breaststroke kick discourages people from swimming over you.

Or swimming around you. Or anywhere near you. Or when you feel the need just to kick someone in the head or crotch.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Other Swim Strokes? [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IT wrote:
My preference is breaststroke for sighting and the breaststroke kick discourages people from swimming over you.

The problem with Breastroking in a race is that most people drop their legs while doing it. When a faster swimmer comes up from behind they don't see them until they bump into their back. Then the breastroker mistakenly thinks they are being run over on purpose.

Trust me, it's a lot easier to go around someone than to go over them. If I'm passing someone I want no contact at all.

jaretj
Quote Reply

Prev Next