Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Orthodics - Heel and Achille pan
Quote | Reply
I got my custom orthodics 2 weeks ago. Since I got them my knee pain is gone (over pronation)..Great. I started to have blisters after the first two runs with them but it was just the break in period and is OK now.

It seems that I have now developped some kind of heel+Achille pain. It is not a very sharp pain and it goes on and off during the day. I took it easy during the last 3/4 days and iced a bit.

I have also read conflicting advise on streching when you have achille pain, for instance Galloway's book on running advises strongly against it and I read in some other posts to stretch a lot... So not quite sure what to do there. Normally I stretch quite a bit after running.

Could the pain be due to the orthodics that are not fully broken in yet or should I pay more attention to it ?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Orthodics - Heel and Achille pan [Lionel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and if you tend towards planter fascitis or achilles pain never... ever... do calf raises. At least not if you have my inflexible calves.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do your orthotics have a heelpost?

Why I ask is, because while slightly raising your heel (heel posts) takes stress off of the tendon, it sometimes has the wrong effect, because it shortens the range of motion on the Soleus and Gastroc muscles (calf) causing them to go into spasm. You are actually training them to become shortened, because your toe is always slightly pointed. You don't feel the pain in the calf though. You feel in your heel where the tendon attaches to the bone. Kind of like if you pull your hair, you feel it at the scalp, not at the other end.

I've been thru heel pain and it can get quite intense and last for months. I met Julie Donnelly at Ironman Utah. She has a forum at www.julstro.com that addresses these kinds of questions in detail. I ended up throwing my orthotics in the closet, And I stretch a lot now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What does your podiatrist say is the cause of the pain? I think the difference of opinion on stretching sore tendons depends on how severe the soreness is. Little soreness probably means some gentle stretching is okay. Lots of soreness means don't stretch because you might aggravate the injury.
Quote Reply
Re: Orthodics - Heel and Achille pan [Hitch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I too had heel pain when I first started using Orthotics. In my case it was due to the orthotics being so hard and having no cushioning. I switched to a thicker cushioning sock and it worked for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Orthodics - Heel and Achille pan [Hitch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I am traveling right now but I will go see him next week to see waht is going on.
Quote Reply
Re: Orthodics - Heel and Achille pan [Train Wreck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure whether it has one or not. I have a high arch but over pronate a lot, which my podiatrist told me is not very common. Therefore the orthodic has a very high arch support. Felt realy strange at first. I am now starting to get used to it.
Quote Reply