Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Optical HR Issue with Garmin 735xt - Does not turn on sometimes
Quote | Reply
I am always having issues with optical still. When it works for steady runs or bikes it works. Then there is the lag both up and down on intervals which I always still use a strap for. That is an issue I don't see getting resolved.

Regardless numerous times post swim getting on the treadmill it is just wrong wrong wrong. Like my HR is 115-130 and it is locked in the 170-195 range. Trying to walk to reset cadence doesn't seem to fix the issue. Seems to happen post swim, maybe something funky going on with my skin post swim. Then there is the issue where the optical doesn't register at all and I just get a solid dash - seems like a restart of the device fixes the issues. Anyone else having these issues?

These are not new issue so not firmware related.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Sep 16, 18 16:03
Quote Reply
Re: Optical HR Issue with Garmin 735xt - Does not turn on sometimes [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Regardless numerous times post swim getting on the treadmill it is just wrong wrong wrong. Like my HR is 115-130 and it is locked in the 170-195 range. Trying to walk to reset cadence doesn't seem to fix the issue. Seems to happen post swim, maybe something funky going on with my skin post swim. Then there is the issue where the optical doesn't register at all and I just get a solid dash - seems like a restart of the device fixes the issues. Anyone else having these issues?

I have not experienced these issues with my 235. Then again, I don't swim.
Quote Reply
Re: Optical HR Issue with Garmin 735xt - Does not turn on sometimes [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
My HR is 115-130 and it is locked in the 170-195 range.
This is cadence lock, and it happens once a month or so with me. Usually, it is cold and I am wearing my watch one notch too loose. It also occasionally happens when I have a long sleeve and it creeps under the edge of the watch.

Since you are seeing it post-swim, I wonder if your body has constricted and the blood vessels have become less visible to the sensors.
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Then there is the issue where the optical doesn't register at all and I just get a solid dash - seems like a restart of the device fixes the issues.
I have never seen this. (Well, that is kind of a lie. It happened once when I killed the battery and the watch began systematically shutting stuff off, starting with the HRM, until the whole thing went tango uniform.)
Quote Reply
Re: Optical HR Issue with Garmin 735xt - Does not turn on sometimes [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Forgot my HR Strap Saturday.....relied on wrist HR. It was pretty much useless.
Quote Reply
Re: Optical HR Issue with Garmin 735xt - Does not turn on sometimes [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
Relied on wrist HR. It was pretty much useless.
Different folks have different levels of success, depending on skin color, tattoos, and just mysterious biometrics. On the flip side, lots of people have lots of success with optical wrist HR. Bummer yours does not work; what was it doing specifically? (I am just curious, as I wear FB, AW, and Garmin with overall good performance.)
Quote Reply
Re: Optical HR Issue with Garmin 735xt - Does not turn on sometimes [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Mike Alexander wrote:
Relied on wrist HR. It was pretty much useless.

Different folks have different levels of success, depending on skin color, tattoos, and just mysterious biometrics. On the flip side, lots of people have lots of success with optical wrist HR. Bummer yours does not work; what was it doing specifically? (I am just curious, as I wear FB, AW, and Garmin with overall good performance.)

If you compare a workout with HR strap, vs wrist only....it's pretty obvious. Very erratic and jumpy with random spikes and lulls.
Quote Reply
Re: Optical HR Issue with Garmin 735xt - Does not turn on sometimes [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
If you compare a workout with HR strap, vs wrist only....it's pretty obvious. Very erratic and jumpy with random spikes and lulls.
I am not seeing that with my wrist trackers (Apple Watch, Garmin 735XT, Fitbit Charge 2, and Fitbit Alta HR). They are not perfect, but the imperfections do not materially, negatively affect their use for intense aerobic activities. But, bummer it affects you this way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

I'm fortunate not to have experienced this with my 235 or the Mio prior to that. When I for the 235 I wore a strap along with another Garmin (my wife's - can't recall the model) for about 2.5 to 3 weeks to make sure things checked out. Everything was perfect so I ditched that strap and haven't worn one for running in over a year now. So liberating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
This is cadence lock, and it happens once a month or so with me. Usually, it is cold and I am wearing my watch one notch too loose. It also occasionally happens when I have a long sleeve and it creeps under the edge of the watch.

I see this from time to time. Usually have to take the watch completely off and put it back on one notch tighter. A little frustrating but still would rather do it than wear a chest strap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me the optical hr on the 735 worked fine for workouts (including intervals) and useless for 24x7 tracking.
However, to get good results you have to tighten the watch quite hard, which I really don't like, so I went back to use a chest strap most of the time

I did have one instance of HR sensor not turning on at all, had to reboot.

Also twice the watch just totally froze when trying to turn it on. Eventually I was able to shut it off (it was stuck in some loop or something and was just crazy slow) and when powered back on it was normal.

So I think there is some bug around turning HR sensor on/off but it is very infrequent.
Quote Reply