Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Opinions or reviews on the Easton EC90TT wheel
Quote | Reply
I am thinking of buying a new front wheel and I am looking at the Easton EC90tt wheel that is 90mm deep. I have read some reviews and a there is some concerns about breaking spokes but it seems that most of the reviews on breaking spokes is the rear wheel and I am only looking at the front. It has 12 spokes with a 90m carbon section. Have you used this wheel and what did you think about it? Any pros or cons? What did you like or not like about it? Any issues with the spokes?
thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Opinions or reviews on the Easton EC90TT wheel [MTMTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just picked up this wheel for this season. So far I only have a 10mi TT under my belt, so my opinions are currently limited.

VERY light for a wheel of its depth.
Brake track stopped very well (2 180s during the TT)
It was a bit twitchy during my race, but for full discloser I was also on a new bike, with a new fit, only ridden outside twice, so much of that could be user at fault.
Looks badass and is a nice standout to the Zipps everyone is riding.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MTMTRI wrote:
I am thinking of buying a new front wheel and I am looking at the Easton EC90tt wheel that is 90mm deep. I have read some reviews and a there is some concerns about breaking spokes but it seems that most of the reviews on breaking spokes is the rear wheel and I am only looking at the front. It has 12 spokes with a 90m carbon section. Have you used this wheel and what did you think about it? Any pros or cons? What did you like or not like about it? Any issues with the spokes?
thanks

Spoke count is over-rated. I put 60,000 miles on a set of Rolf's that had 14 spokes on the front (if I remember correctly). Never even trued them. Lots of dirt riding as well. A hub flange finally broke on the rear and even then I rode them for a couple weeks thinking they just finally time for a truing. The secret to a bomb-proof wheel is a stiff rim that will distribute the load across a large percentage of spoke. Most deep rim are stiff by design.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't see the new 2014 90mm available on easton website, any idea why?
Quote Reply
Re: Opinions or reviews on the Easton EC90TT wheel [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not too sure why they are no longer made? Could you tell me about the set you sold? Did you like them? Obviously not too much or you would not have sold them? Did you have problems with them?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I owned this wheel.
The stand out worst wheel I have ever owned. I'm sure it was super quick if you can keep it in a straight line!
It was ridiculously skittish, unless you weigh around 80kg plus I'd say you are better off with something like a 404.
I use a firecrest 808 now and its rock solid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I loved mine, had no problems. Just wanted a clean upgrade to 11 speed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing comes close to these for the price. They also come with an ok valve extender and Swiss Stop Yellow King brake pads. This wheel is on Nashbar, shipped to your door for $327 right now! The only reason the front wheel says "Campagnolo" is because it comes with Campy brake pads. Go buy the Shimano ones if that's what you use. The actual wheels are the exact same. If you are running 11 speed and want a rear wheel too, buy the rear one! All 11 speed cassettes are compatible with each other. The freehub on the (Nashbar) EC90TT 90mm is Campy 11 speed. Any 11 speed Campy cassette will shift perfectly with any Shimano or Sram 11 speed group (assuming everything is adjusted correctly).

As a front wheel, buy the EC90 TT 90mm and never look back if you can glue a tubular or get somebody else do it (Don't tape). I'm also rocking the 90mm front with a vittoria 21c. I'm curious about the new Schwalbe Ironman tubular, but many on this forum would scoff at somebody putting a 22c tire on a 21mm wide rim. Maybe they are already scoffing at the 21c? It's really nice not having to do significant brake adjustment when swapping wheels. Switch your pads and go, because my training wheels are also 21mm wide.

As a rear wheel....ehh. The (narrow) bearings require adjusting here and there and there's a little bit of flex. Good TT/Tri wheel but would never race them for anything else. Put a disc cover on your back wheel and you are set. The only *problem* is that you would likely be running a tubular front and clincher rear. I run sealant (2 oz each Bontrager TLR) in my tubulars because I know I will walk home before ever attempting to swap a tubular on the side of the road.

I haven't had any other carbon braking surface wheels to compare braking to. I stop when I need to stop with those yellow pads and don't use them in the rain. I do stop quicker with normal pads and aluminum brake tracks. Also, you can only true these wheels with the tires off and my rear wheel arrived slightly out of true. There is only one known spoke wrench in the world, some long handled Park Tools screwdriver looking one that took a while to source, so you may as well get your LBS to order that.

Sure the newer wider rims blow this one out of the water at wider yaw angles (greater than -10/+10 degrees) and are made for tires with better grip and less rolling resistance (23c). My opinion is that most riders are rarely seeing yaw angles outside of that 20 degree range. The rolling resistance (Thank you Tom A.) on that Schwalbe 22c Ironman tubular looks realllly low. If it has slightly (maybe) more grip and less rolling resistance for a minor ding in aerodynamics, it could be a killer front wheel combo for $400.

As far as handling, I don't have anything negative to say. I have never been on a deeper front wheel. I have never raced under 185. I have a fairly long stem. All this means is that I have never noticed being "blown around."

.....and no broken spokes!
Last edited by: dangle: Apr 20, 15 10:31
Quote Reply
Re: Opinions or reviews on the Easton EC90TT wheel [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
any idea why no 90mm tubulars on easton website?

http://www.eastoncycling.com/en-us/road/wheels
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Discontinued.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
interesting, guess the 90mms are not a top seller anymore

just saw this other post too
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...;;page=unread#unread
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
.................As a rear wheel....ehh. The (narrow) bearings require adjusting here and there and there's a little bit of flex. Good TT/Tri wheel but would never race them for anything else. Put a disc cover on your back wheel and you are set. The only *problem* is that you would likely be running a tubular front and clincher rear. I run sealant (2 oz each Bontrager TLR) in my tubulars because I know I will walk home before ever attempting to swap a tubular on the side of the road. .........

Or add a disc cover to the 90mm rear for matching +5 style points!

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Opinions or reviews on the Easton EC90TT wheel [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm rocking the covered rear ec90 as well. Taping it to the spokes can help prevent the cover from scratching the painted graphics off.

It's discontinued because it's nearly 5 years old. Nobody is still selling a wheel that old under the same name and/or as their top wheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
where can i get one of those covers?
Quote Reply
Re: Opinions or reviews on the Easton EC90TT wheel [warofthemorning] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine came from WheelBuilder. It's called an Aerojacket. There are also some DIY versions on these forums.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a set of tubulars on Craigslist in Tucson. Good description of how old they are and how many times they were ridden, and for the tri-geeks out there, if you look at the picture in the online add, you'll know exactly who owned them. Suffice to say they were ridden to two World Championships in the same year. Good price as well, and no, I'm not the seller and I don't personally know the seller.

Why don't we take a 5 minute brake...?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Worst carbon wheel I ever owned. There is a reason why BMC never used them when Easton was a sponsor for them. They don't handle well, they look and feel very flimsy, straight up scary wheel. The decals are the only good thing about them, they look sharp, but as good as they look they handle equally as bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take a look at aeroweenie.com in the wheels section if you want to learn more about this wheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i believe easton sports was just purchased
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a set (since 2010). I got a super duper deal (brand new), so, I couldn't resist. I like them when racing on courses that don't have long fast downhills. My first tire wasn't glued as perfectly straight as it should have been and I would get speed wobbles such that the 12 spoke front wouldn't handle. Braking just made it worse. In addition, the very aero but narrow hub doesn't add stiffness. The current tire I have seems much better (perfect). But, I still won't race on a fast downhill course with that front wheel. I don't need any worries messing with my head during a race. I did Wildflower last week and borrowed a buddies couple of year old 808 front (clincher) and really LOVED the stability.

Next time I get carbon aero wheels... I will get clinchers and higher spoke count; something like 16-18 front and 20 (or so) rear. I'd consider Easton because I do like the quality of the individual components. Hed or Zipp would be a sure bet however.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I knew I had seen that machine somewhere.

Good work at Galena! Second overall is pretty nice. Who on Earth was the guy that won??
Quote Reply
Re: Opinions or reviews on the Easton EC90TT wheel [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
manofthewoods wrote:
I have a set (since 2010). I got a super duper deal (brand new), so, I couldn't resist. I like them when racing on courses that don't have long fast downhills. My first tire wasn't glued as perfectly straight as it should have been and I would get speed wobbles such that the 12 spoke front wouldn't handle. Braking just made it worse. In addition, the very aero but narrow hub doesn't add stiffness. The current tire I have seems much better (perfect). But, I still won't race on a fast downhill course with that front wheel. I don't need any worries messing with my head during a race. I did Wildflower last week and borrowed a buddies couple of year old 808 front (clincher) and really LOVED the stability.

Next time I get carbon aero wheels... I will get clinchers and higher spoke count; something like 16-18 front and 20 (or so) rear. I'd consider Easton because I do like the quality of the individual components. Hed or Zipp would be a sure bet however.

Update - broke a spoke 4 minutes before a "fun" 10 mile TT last week. Rear non-drive side. Sent it back - they will replace all the spokes. The wheel tracked amazingly true. Didn't race it, since, it was a no-big-deal thing. Actually happy that it happened then and NOT during Auburn Worlds Toughest. Then, I would have blown $260 and AG win. Used my training wheels instead.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I was pretty pleased with the conditions on race day, given how horrible I expected the swim and cold to be. You had the BMC with matching Easton's in rack/row #2, right? I saw that and smiled to see someone with the same wheel set up as me. Really makes the bike pop! Good job to you as well! Very tough conditions so anyone who braved it race morning is hardcore in my book!

I talked to the guy that won after the race. He's originally from Iowa, but lives in Idaho. He flew in to visit his dad and saw the race was going on the same weekend, so he brought his bike. He told me he is a cyclist, which explains his BLISTERING bike split, but clearly it was not his first tri after looking at his swim and run splits!

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, it turned into a pretty nice day for me and the BMC! The only time I felt cold was when I realized I could not maneuver my right foot out of the shoe for a typical flying dismount. It was just too cold to wiggle it out of there and I couldn't feel my feet as well as I would have liked. I had no idea how to pace that bike course, it was nuts.

The winner was crazy fast on the bike and talented everywhere else too. A quick Google search showed he has quite the cycling background and had a well known coach. You were also really fast. Awesome run and T2!

If anybody is looking at this thread curious about wheels, you're never going to find another wheelset under 1k that races as fast as these. I haven't been able to pop a spoke yet and the lightest I have ridden these was 188 lbs. I think with some of the recent sales, you could have this wheelset, tires, brake pads, skewers, and disc cover for less than the price of an 808 FC front wheel. I think these weigh less than the 808's too. Maybe they have 5.4 more watts of drag at a highly unlikely 15 degree yaw angle. Is that worth paying double for? The FLO wheels appear to be a good inexpensive alternative and pair better with wider tires, but are about 2lbs heavier once you factor in tires as well. Learning to glue tubulars was kind of cool too.

AA - what tires are you using? I have a pair of 21c Vittoria EVO cx that may need a replacement by August.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:

AA - what tires are you using? I have a pair of 21c Vittoria EVO cx that may need a replacement by August.

I have on the new Schwalbe Ironman tubulars. Sure they are a bit wider than the rim, so I am probably giving away some watts there, but their Crr testing and what appears to be solid puncture protection takes precedence in my mind.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply

Prev Next