Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Oly Distance Pacing
Quote | Reply
Doing St. Anthony's this weekend for the first time in 3 years. The last time I did this race it was my first Oly and I had no clue about anything. I've since done two 70.3 and one 140.6. In training for those and on race day I focused on HR zones. Do I try to stay in a low zone for this race? Or just go at it?
Quote Reply
Re: Oly Distance Pacing [steelrain66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
steelrain66 wrote:
Doing St. Anthony's this weekend for the first time in 3 years. The last time I did this race it was my first Oly and I had no clue about anything. I've since done two 70.3 and one 140.6. In training for those and on race day I focused on HR zones. Do I try to stay in a low zone for this race? Or just go at it?
It may be a lot shorter than a 70.3 or 140.6 but it's still an endurance race.
IMO the nutrition aspect is no longer terribly relevant for Olympic but pacing still is. If you're pacing off HR you'd allow yourself go higher but you're not going to be going flat out for 2 to 3hrs (depending how quick you are).
For example, in my case, I might aiming for a HR on the bike around 140 for IM, about 146 for HIM and 154 for Olympic. For a 20km bike only TT I'd be more like 165.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In all my Olympic race I just go as hard as I can, having the experience of what effort I can get away with. Totally different approach compared to what I do
in long course racing.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Oly Distance Pacing [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would modify this to say that an Oly can be raced (almost) as if you were racing each dicipline individually (at least the bike and run). I wouldn't recommend opening either event with a balls-out sprint:)

Go out on the bike as if it were a 40k TT, and go full gas for the run:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
steelrain66 wrote:

You need to pace the race based on what you've done during similar hard workouts or what you think you can handle for the duration of the race. If you use HR a lot in training, what do you target for shorter efforts like 5k tempo runs or 2x20min bike workouts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's going to depend on how in shape you are. For an Olympic distance you want to race the bike at about85-95 percent of your hour power output. So yes if you're in good shape it's almost like you're racing a 40k TT most people aren't in that good of shape. For the run I would pave the first 3 miles off your half marathon pace and then be a hero the last 3 miles. If you try to be a hero the first three you'll probably crash and burn until you know the sweet spot for your pace.
Quote Reply
Re: Oly Distance Pacing [lovegoat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lovegoat wrote:
I would modify this to say that an Oly can be raced (almost) as if you were racing each dicipline individually (at least the bike and run). I wouldn't recommend opening either event with a balls-out sprint:)

That's a great way for someone to have a horrible run. Going 40k TT pace is a lot harder than I think you realize. If you hit that pace you surely won't be running well off the bike. If running at all. There's a reason people don't do 40k TT efforts to get their FTP. Also, given that he has no powermeter and racing on HR and feel, it's likely that he over cooks the bike a bit anyways, so it's better to aim low and over cook it a bit then to aim high and over cook the first 20k and have a miserable rest of your race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
In all my Olympic race I just go as hard as I can, having the experience of what effort I can get away with. Totally different approach compared to what I do
in long course racing.

So, in an Olympic you go as (relatively, for the length) hard as you can but in a longer race you don't go as (relatively, for the length) as hard as you can?

Not sure I see a difference.

On the internet, you can be anything you want. It is a pity so many people choose to be stupid.
Quote Reply
Re: Oly Distance Pacing [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
lovegoat wrote:

That's a great way for someone to have a horrible run. Going 40k TT pace is a lot harder than I think you realize. If you hit that pace you surely won't be running well off the bike. If running at all. There's a reason people don't do 40k TT efforts to get their FTP. Also, given that he has no powermeter and racing on HR and feel, it's likely that he over cooks the bike a bit anyways, so it's better to aim low and over cook it a bit then to aim high and over cook the first 20k and have a miserable rest of your race.

I see that and I should probably modify my statement. I definatley see the point that the less trained / experienced the individual is, the more you would want to hold back on the bike. I should also add that I didn't mean to ride the enitire bike 100 % as a 40K TT - I try to go out (almost) as if it were a 40K TT (you would hold abit back the first half of a 40K TT too - atleast I blow up hard if i go out too hard on a 40k TT). The difference between a 40k TT and oly bike would be that I dont think you should make the push to finish one would do in a 40k TT. I just keep it steady and gradually ease a little bit up the last 5-10k before the run. Also - this is just my own very "unscientific" approach to how I feel when pacing an Oly. I agree that if in doubt - save 5 % extra for the run than vica versa. Also, this neglects any race-specific dynamics (i.e. if you are chasing the leader etc..).
Quote Reply
Re: Oly Distance Pacing [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a stronger cyclist than runner (funny, when I got into triathlon it was the other way around). Just did IMFL 70.3 two weeks ago and went 2:55 on the bike. I felt good and held my run pace at 9:55/mile for the half, that was focusing on staying in my planned HR zone. Did a stand alone 10K last weekend and went 46 min, felt really good that entire run, did not wear a HR monitor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
There's a reason people don't do 40k TT efforts to get their FTP.

Huh? 40K TT is your FTP.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why don't you go as hard as you can in long course racing? Just wanna finish?

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Last edited by: cmscat50: Apr 22, 16 6:17
Quote Reply
Re: Oly Distance Pacing [Supersquid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, FTP is your max 60 min power. Generally a 40k is around this time for a lot of people. However to do an all out 40k is very taxing and hitting it perfectly is hard also. That's why most people do the 95 percent of 20 min power protocol. It's a lot easier to hit 20 mins perfect then 60 mins.

I wasn't saying 40k can't be used as your 60 min power for your FTP, I'm saying most people don't test with a 40k
Quote Reply
Re: Oly Distance Pacing [chrisbint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisbint wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
in long course racing.

So, in an Olympic you go as (relatively, for the length) hard as you can but in a longer race you don't go as (relatively, for the length) as hard as you can?

I know in a long race I have to pace, eat smart, etc. I can swim a 1.5K swim hard, but no way would swim that hard in a 2.4 mile.

On the 40K bike, I push real hard. but in a 112 mile for me, I pace since I know I have a marathon left.

For the 10K run, it is just all I have left in the take. For a marathon run I know the run does not start until the last 10K, and I do not want to walk.

Not saying this is right for anyone else, but how I race for an Olympic vs a IM is totally different.

More than anything, the biggest difference between the two is knowing how to get food. Olympic, you really cannot screw it up. But in a long,
you can be in the best shape, pace correctly and bonk because the nutrition was missed.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: Oly Distance Pacing [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cmscat50 wrote:
Why don't you go as hard as you can in long course racing? Just wanna finish?

I pace myself for long course so that I have a good strong run at the end. So many brag about their bike times
then their run times suck. My goal is not to have a fast split, but the fastest total time I can get. When I passed 400 folks
on the run at IMLT, sure meant my terrible bike time was not really that bad compared to others since the finish time
is all that matters. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
chrisbint wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
in long course racing.

I know in a long race I have to pace, eat smart, etc. I can swim a 1.5K swim hard, but no way would swim that hard in a 2.4 mile.

On the 40K bike, I push real hard. but in a 112 mile for me, I pace since I know I have a marathon left.

For the 10K run, it is just all I have left in the take. For a marathon run I know the run does not start until the last 10K, and I do not want to walk.

Not saying this is right for anyone else, but how I race for an Olympic vs a IM is totally different.

More than anything, the biggest difference between the two is knowing how to get food. Olympic, you really cannot screw it up. But in a long,
you can be in the best shape, pace correctly and bonk because the nutrition was missed.

You are always pacing anything that is longer than a 100m/200m run. The goal is to go as fast as possible over the distance you need to cover. That means you are pacing your effort based on the distance. Going 'hard' means nothing without the context or comparison to maximal efforts.

The possible reason that you feel you are maxed out in an Olympic distance is because of your training methods. You sound like you do the same effort over and over again and have likely deadened any possible changes in pace. Bit like a Diesel train, they really only have one speed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Actually, FTP is your max 60 min power.

Technically it's not. It's what you can do for a 40K TT, or about an hour.

To quote Coggan: "...and 2) FTP has never been defined as the power you can maintain for 60(.000000.....) min."

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...question_P5803414-2/

Anyway, I agree with what you said about pacing an Oly. You just threw me off with that line about FTP.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a runner turned triathlete turned cyclist turned cyclist / triathlete...lol.

So for me I'm also run focused in a race.

That said the point of my post is we are always trying to race hard. OLY you can't go all out. Due to cycling I've learned to BURY myself on a bike. If I tried to do that in an OLY you'd have to peel me off the bike in T2. There would be no run. Therefore I know for me I need to ride in the 85-90% range. I can swim pretty hard or on the rivet. Then I can use my run.

Pacing is always important as you well know, but your initial post may have been misleading to the OP.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I am pacing an olympic by feel, I am trying to stay comfortably uncomfortable. I am not pushing myself super hard, but I am definitely pushing a bit.
Quote Reply
Re: Oly Distance Pacing [lovegoat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lovegoat wrote:
....Go out on the bike as if it were a 40k TT, and go full gas for the run:)
ALL races need to be paced.
I would say pacing can be done more readily on feel with less experience for shorter races. Also if you get it wrong in longer races, the consequences are more dire but that doesn't mean shorter races don't require pacing.
Even a 100m sprint is paced (generally so that full speed is reached by 60m or so and then it's somewhat coasting from there, with some variation).

I don't get the comments suggesting the run and bike legs should be treated as stand alone TTs or runs. the people saying this then come back qualifying these comments to say it should be treated as a stand-alone "with a run after"....So not a stand alone event then! What's the point of saying to treat it like a stand-alone when that's not what you mean at all?

"Go full gas for the run" doesn't mean anything unless it means you should start at a flat out sprint. Otherwise you're just saying to pace it to go as fast as you can, which is pretty obvious and does in fact require pacing. The question is how to choose that pace!
Quote Reply
Re: Oly Distance Pacing [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
lovegoat wrote:
....Go out on the bike as if it were a 40k TT, and go full gas for the run:)

ALL races need to be paced.
I would say pacing can be done more readily on feel with less experience for shorter races. Also if you get it wrong in longer races, the consequences are more dire but that doesn't mean shorter races don't require pacing.
Even a 100m sprint is paced (generally so that full speed is reached by 60m or so and then it's somewhat coasting from there, with some variation).

I don't get the comments suggesting the run and bike legs should be treated as stand alone TTs or runs. the people saying this then come back qualifying these comments to say it should be treated as a stand-alone "with a run after"....So not a stand alone event then! What's the point of saying to treat it like a stand-alone when that's not what you mean at all?

"Go full gas for the run" doesn't mean anything unless it means you should start at a flat out sprint. Otherwise you're just saying to pace it to go as fast as you can, which is pretty obvious and does in fact require pacing. The question is how to choose that pace!

I mostly agree with this, and will jump out of the argument now (cause its a loosing one, for me! :)) I was just trying to describe my subjective feeling of pacing an Oly. Naturally there is pacing going on no matter what the distance, and I guess my description stems from the fact that once you have raced a distance sufficient number of times, you have a pretty decent "feel" for how hard you can go. For me - an Oly is right up there as an event I´d describe as close to full gas all the way. Of couse - not full gas in the sense that you go out sprinting - but full gas in the sense that the pace is close to my best "sustainable" pace, however you choose to interpret that definition of sustainable pace. I agree with another poster here who said that pacing - in the sense that you really have to hold back - is a small issue in 70.3, and a big (decisive) issue in 140.6.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a race, so what else is there to do than going as hard as you can?

If you crossed the line and have anything left in the tank, you didn't try hard enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm racing St Anthony's too. I think a lot of people hammer too hard the first 5 miles of the bike in Olympic distance racing. I try to hold back just a bit (5-10 watts from goal wattage) to get the legs going but not burn any matches. Those first 5 miles on the bike can make you pay the price towards the end of the bike and on the run.

Olympic distance racing is freaking hard. For me, it's about a 95-100 minute TT all out (~20 mile bike and 10k run). I am usually redlined for 5 miles of the 10k run.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Oly Distance Pacing [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cmscat50 wrote:
I am a runner turned triathlete turned cyclist turned cyclist / triathlete...lol.

So for me I'm also run focused in a race.

That said the point of my post is we are always trying to race hard. OLY you can't go all out. Due to cycling I've learned to BURY myself on a bike. If I tried to do that in an OLY you'd have to peel me off the bike in T2. There would be no run. Therefore I know for me I need to ride in the 85-90% range. I can swim pretty hard or on the rivet. Then I can use my run.

Pacing is always important as you well know, but your initial post may have been misleading to the OP.

I agree.

It just amazes me how so many always feel their choice of words are the only way something can be said.
Or, in my case, my choice of words is always wrong. :)

Bottom line so many of these folks are just not that fast in races. :)

Quote Reply
Re: Oly Distance Pacing [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
I'm racing St Anthony's too. I think a lot of people hammer too hard the first 5 miles of the bike in Olympic distance racing. I try to hold back just a bit (5-10 watts from goal wattage) to get the legs going but not burn any matches. Those first 5 miles on the bike can make you pay the price towards the end of the bike and on the run.

Olympic distance racing is freaking hard. For me, it's about a 95-100 minute TT all out (~20 mile bike and 10k run). I am usually redlined for 5 miles of the 10k run.

This is exactly how I feel about the olympic distance.

Provided you've trained properly, you can probably push the swim pretty hard with little detriment to the bike and run. After the first few minutes of the ride, settle in, put your head down and pound it out as hard as you can (probably just below all out 40k TT effort, like 98%), then head out to run knowing it'll suck and that the first mile is the best you'll feel for the immediate future.

This strategy of racing depends, of course, on depth of fitness. If you lack good bike fitness, obviously you shouldn't ride yourself into the ground, because you aren't strong enough to do that AND run well afterwards.

"Don't you have to go be stupid somewhere else?"..."Not until 4!"
Quote Reply

Prev Next