Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Oldschool Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 vs Cervelo P5
Quote | Reply
Hey guys, I have been thinking about upgrading to Cervelo P5 disc for quite some time but one thing keeps comming to my mind and I would like to ask for your opinion. In an old Tour magazine wind tunnel test they tested Canyon Speedmax CF (2014) with Zipp 808 wheels to be as aero as Cervelo P5 with Zipp 808 + disc. So actually pretty much the fastest combination out there. I am confused by that because Canyon claims the newer (2016) Speedmax CF SLX to be faster (4w I think) than the old one and the newest Disc Speedmax (2021) to be even faster (9-10w) and yet it seems to be common knowledge that Cervelo P5 or P5 disc is pretty much the fastest bike out there. Can anyone clear that out for me, please? I would like to buy the new Cervelo P5 disc which is supposed to be about as aero as P5. So can I expect any aero gains or not? I am into disc brakes and like the P5 looks, but if I don't get any speed from it, I am not sure about it. Thank you for your insights!
Quote Reply
Re: Oldschool Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 vs Cervelo P5 [s.kral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello
I have the Same "problem" as you described.
I am on a 2014 Speedmax and think about upgrading to Cervelo p5 ( rim or disc ) or a new Speedmax.

Data from old Windtunneltests ist conflicting.
How did you decide? Does anybody else have an estimate or data on the drag differences across these Bikes?

How much of the savings ( canyons claims ) are in the frame and how much is wheels and integrated cockpits? ( canyon and swissside could not answer this )

Thank you very much
Roman
Quote Reply
Re: Oldschool Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 vs Cervelo P5 [romangutt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
romangutt wrote:
Data from old Windtunneltests ist conflicting.
How did you decide? ...
Roman

I looked at the fact that the triathlons that I sign up for do not involve riding in a wind tunnel.

Cheeky reply aside, a modern frame, running modern tire widths/pressures covers a greater portion of where gains can be made on a typical bike course. My anecdotal experience going to a TT bike with disc brakes for 2023, cut minutes off my local 70.3 course time. The ride is less harsh, so I enjoy riding it, so I get more saddle time on it in the weeks and months leading up to a race. And yes, better braking makes me (at least) faster; offering confidence to carry speed deeper into corners.
Quote Reply