Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Post deleted by Administrator
Re: Older athletes limited running, still competitive? [runner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 68 yo and have done 6 marathons recently (since I turned 65) lots of half marathons, injury free. Kind of new to triathlon, only done 3 olys and a few sprints, attempting my first HIM in Haines City next Sunday. When I started running long, I started getting knee pain, so I reluctantly went to the Jeff Galloway method, alternating running and walking. Do okay for a geezr, PR on marathons is 4:39 - nothing to write home about but I got a podium with it, due to the few competitors in my AG. I would strongly suggest you try run/walk and gradually increase the run to walk ratio. You just might surprise yourself.
Last edited by: boilham: Apr 6, 15 19:00
Quote Reply
Re: Older athletes limited running, still competitive? [runner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
age 52...can only run 4x week max. Longest run 7 miles at 9+ min/mile pace. Will be in the pool aqua jogging. Not my first choice but it'll help. I know of others that have used elliptical trainers & inline skating. If you have access to an underwater treadmill or antigrav treadmill those are other options.

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ive never done a HIM, but have the same problem with injuries from running. Mostly achilles and calf muscles, and knee cartilage.
I try to get physiotherapy and limit my training to 5km. My race calender is limited to springs and olys (56 yo), and Im fine with that .

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 61. I've got chronic patella tendinosis in my right knee and degenerative Achilles tendinosis in both legs. I missed most of 2010 with micro-tearing in my left Achilles. Couldn't run more than about four miles without pain. I started using the Galloway run/walk and found that if I limited myself to a 4:1 ratio, I could run pain free all day. I still run four days per week, but never more than three days in a row.

Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What does your run focus entail? How is it different from your normal running routine?
If a running focus block is leaving you tired and injured stop doing them. Do a bike focus instead. Less chance of injury and will help both biking and running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For an HIM(assuming you have a massive running base coming from a runner's background), I think you could easily get away with only 4 runs a week and a long run of like 10 miles only...so you're talking at the peak it's only 28MPW. 3x6 milers plus the 10 miler. In my running, I get injured by doing high intensity stuff so I switched to only 1 hard workout every other week and it being a tempo run not intervals or even hill repeats. The tempo is part of the "long run". Again the major assumption is running for over 20 years..one last thing other than the tempo run days every other workout is just at conversation pace...easy.

If the mileage is too low for you, you could add an additional day if you switch it to trail and also do your long run(week without tempo) on the trail as well.

Good luck...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Based on your other posts/threads, would almost guarantee it's your overall pace/intensity, rather than your volume or a need to cut back on it.

You did a program emphasis that requires a good amount of moderate distance tempo work- which can wreck havoc on master's aged runners.

Take some time off- no running- and then rebuild your base and get back up to your weekly distance at a slower overall pace. Get your 1x/week speed session in. Quit looking at age as a factor- the stud that won overall at the Harrisburg Marathon this past year was 54.

Quote:
I come from a running background but every time I try to do a run focus I get injured. Nothing major so far, but I can't seem to stay healthy enough to get back to my level of running from my early forties. No big surprise.
Actually this does come as a surprise...if you're constantly dealing with mild injuries, and you're coming from a run background, fix your programming. If you want to still compete, recalibrate your intensity and stop using cookie-cutter programs like the Hanson (and as I've said before, the Hanson program is a good one, just not for competing in the marathon or for most master's runners).

Quote:
I'm looking to hear from runners who were still able to perform well at the HIM distance after limited run training due to age, injury, etc.

Perform well with injury or limited training time? Never. Perform well due to age? Absolutely. But this is from choosing the goal and committing to it. If you're going to compete in tri's for fun and chase PR's in running, train accordingly. But with either, don't make the mistake of short runs with intensity the cornerstone for running performance- TNSTAAFL.

http://www.reathcon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Older athletes limited running, still competitive? [boilham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great job!

I am 55 and have done lots, and lots, and lots of triathlons/IMs over many, many years. I gave up being "competitive" a number of years ago in favor of longevity and lifestyle. Don't get me wrong, I still try to go hard, I just don't kill myself like I did in the old days. I believe consistent moderate execution over time preserves the body better. Sure things are creakier and ache more than they did, but it sure beats the heck out of the poor health most folks are starting to have.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
for me following the Hansen plan over the winter was the best running I have done in 10 years without getting hurt. What worked for me (i'm 53) was

- using the treadmill a fair bit to avoid the hills and road crown while improving cushioning
- running on trails and grass often
- the hansen plan has quality 2x a week, but it is not very hard, like 5k pace, so lots of long intervals at tempo-ish pace
- when it felt like i was getting hurt i went xc skiing and blew off the endurance runs. One week I just did 5 days of xc as kind of an enforced break from the grind

i'm not much faster, but i'm running 50 mi a week without injury which i a ton for me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
57, almost 58 here. 4 runs a week is good for me; sometimes I can get 5. Average between 25 and 35 miles a week, typically. I was never a graceful runner but am even more ungainly as I get older. I can feel the unbalance/asymmetry in my stride sometimes. What seems to help me is to be thoroughly warmed up before going for a run, whether a 4 miler or 10 miler. So I almost always ride before I run. Heading out cold and having to loosen up is difficult. The warm up period used to be a mile or so, now it closer to 4 or 5 miles. As for your question, sadly no, I don’t think one can run a decent 13.1 miles in a half ironman on 2 or 3 short but intense runs a week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Runner66,

I feel that your conclusions are based on invalid assumptions. Rob's post is correct. Please reread it. He's basically saying that you are running too hard too often.

You tried the Hanson's plan and it beat you up. Well, that's what it's supposed to do. What you really need to do is actually run your easy days easy, and, run them more often than you are currently running them today.

You've been given this same advice many times here on ST, but you keep looking for training shortcuts or excuses. There's only so many times you can lead a horse to water before you give up and get another horse.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 40 and a late starter to running (mid 30's). I always end up with some stupid injury. Last year I ran my first marathon and decided to really not get injured. So I pre-emptively went to physio and got a series of exercises to address my weak areas. Then I worked on a plan with my coach and ended up with 4 key runs each week. I have continued that this year and it has really helped. It got me to a 3:02 marathon (my first) and a 1:23 half. My largest running week last year was 62km.

It just means you have to be really focused on each workout and possibly also look at some specific strength training to help with any weaknesses.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
57 here and have learned the hard way. Dealt with enough injuries to seek the guidance of a coach known for getting injured athletes back to health and keeping them there. Just about all of muY injuries came from intensity workouts and doing too many of them.

What I have learned is it's more important that most of your miles each week be slow easy miles with some strides thrown in one workout each week at tempo.

For me the proof this works came last Saturday when I raced a HM. Having dealt with chronic Achilles tendonosis and coming back from meniscus surgery I was worried that my training was too lacking in any speed work to have a fast race.

I was hoping maybe I could pull off a 1:45:00 but would not be surprised if I blew up and ended at 1:50:00. Well I pulled a 1:39:37 out of my hat and with negative splits.

Looking back I see how my coaches process works I had that big base of long slow miles which gave me the endurance and on race day adding intensity evenly in the form of negative splits let my legs warm up to the increasing effort without injury..

Not saying my legs weren't sore post race they were but they were sore not aggravated. BTW my time was only 43 seconds off my best
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Runner66, I also come from a running background. I am 44 and experiencing the same issues. Haven't competed since 2010 but this year I believe it will change. Back then I only did sprint distances anyhow and plan on those and even super sprint. Your plan mirrors mine of concentrating on biking and swimming. 2 days will be max for me for running(5-10miles total). Knees just don't like it. Compression sleeves and Hooka's have helped. I train with from time to time a very good 66yo triathlete (National Sprint Tri champ AG). He runs on a golf course to minimize the impact. His philosophy is to just keep injury free and maintain his fitness consistently. I believe he rides his bike more than anything. Maybe HIM are just not what you should be doing anymore if you are suffering that much pain. Shorten the distances and frequency. Concentrate on keeping those running injuries from occurring. I spend an hour a day before work on PT strengthening, stretching, Epson salt soaking, and icing just to keep things on the low end of the pain threshold.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I am 55 and have done lots, and lots, and lots of triathlons/IMs over many, many years. I gave up being "competitive" a number of years ago in favor of longevity and lifestyle. Don't get me wrong, I still try to go hard, I just don't kill myself like I did in the old days. I believe consistent moderate execution over time preserves the body better. Sure things are creakier and ache more than they did, but it sure beats the heck out of the poor health most folks are starting to have.
------------------------------------------------
I'm 68 yo and have done 6 marathons recently (since I turned 65) lots of half marathons, injury free. Kind of new to triathlon, only done 3 olys and a few sprints, attempting my first HIM in Haines City next Sunday. When I started running long, I started getting knee pain, so I reluctantly went to the Jeff Galloway method, alternating running and walking. Do okay for a geezr, PR on marathons is 4:39 - nothing to write home about but I got a podium with it, due to the few competitors in my AG. I would strongly suggest you try run/walk and gradually increase the run to walk ratio. You just might surprise yourself.
-----------------------------------------------
Based on your other posts/threads, would almost guarantee it's your overall pace/intensity, rather than your volume or a need to cut back on it.
--------------------------------------------
I can relate to the posts and Rob’s sounds good to me.

I’m going to be 63 next month, retired. I started running at 49.5 in 2001 and ran my first marathon three weeks after turning 50. Then I ran 5 more over the next 1.5 years(SLOW). Took up tri’s at 52, Oly’s and some sprints then in 2007 started long course. I’ve done over 20, 70.3’s and four IM’s and three in the last three years. I’m a middle of the pack triathlete and a slow distance runner 13.1, 2hrs is a good time for me. For the first 10 years I was injury free but then I started getting nagging type injury’s, nothing major. For me it’s not distance it’s the intensity that gives me issues. I had to deal with a medical issue this winter and needed to cut my training back to very, very easy SBR. I’m building back now but I’m going to limit running to 2 days, bike 2d, swim 2d, NO bricks. I’m registered for 3, 70.3's this season and just completed Oside at 7hrs. I know this is slow but I did this on 3.5 weeks of training. One thing I learned from this winter is I’m enjoying life more and cutting back on my training is a big part of this.

Good luck.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Last edited by: Longboarder: Apr 7, 15 8:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just love these type of posts. I just smile.

Now 48 is pretty young to be asking this type of question, UNLESS one is the type who has been a runner all their life then yep, around 50 they are gone.

I believe as one gets older, no longer can one have a "run" focus. Those days are long gone!!! At 58, my focus is just training 7 days a week at moderate levels.
NO speed work. This is saved only for races, which I have one Sunday to see what happens.

I never ever run on cold legs. I always bike or swim before I run. The positive is this makes me just do LSD running in training with lots of hills.

The powercranks on my bike trainer helps my running without the pounding of running.

Since I did a 1:24 half marathon last year at 57 without any long runs or speed work, it can happen if one stays in shape and injury free.

Again, stop any focus on the run. Just do enough to stay in shape for a race.

But from past attacks we know this is all wrong but at least I am on the starting line healthy.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
for those old farts (like me) who have a hard time running. who have injuries, keep getting sidelined, can't get in enough miles, think your days are over (or numbered). have you tried running in hokas?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Older athletes limited running, still competitive? [boilham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boilham wrote:
Inspiring! And a 4:39 at 68 is down right impressive.

I too come from a running background and find myself getting niggles constantly.
My question to you is when did you start running? In my observations people who start running latter = better.
I ran track/cross in high school and have kept at. But some of my friends who start later on fresh legs seem to have less problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
runner66 wrote:
I've only been running for eleven years, but clearly I have worn out my legs already, unfortunately.

How in the world did you run sub 6:30 pace for a half marathon with no long runs, no tempo runs, no intervals, and no high weekly running miles? How is that possible at your age? I ask because I am extremely jealous and would really like to know how you pulled it off. LOL

No idea that anyone will agree to other than what I believe works.

DO NOT get hurt! It takes too much to get it back!! So I just run all year long. 30 miles a week. But lots of hill work, nice and slow!
I bike 7 days a week with powercranks. And after a few years of doing this 12 months a year, I have continued to get faster. Had my first season
last year where I run under 40 for the 10K on Olympic distance races.

I also have never put a focus on running long. Went to Boston once, and done. No more open marathons! Too hard on the body!

You can see how I have trained over the years on Strava. Cannot say if what I do would help anyone else, but my results seem to be okay.
Did a sub 20 for the 5K at my first sprint race this season so might have one more year of fast running in me. Will see.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Older athletes limited running, still competitive? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
for those old farts (like me) who have a hard time running. who have injuries, keep getting sidelined, can't get in enough miles, think your days are over (or numbered). have you tried running in hokas?
-------
Yes :)

I do all my trail running in Hokas and some road but I go with my NB for racing.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Last edited by: Longboarder: Apr 7, 15 8:32
Quote Reply
Re: Older athletes limited running, still competitive? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

Yes, for me Hokas meant the difference between running 3 days per week to being able to run 4 days per week. That was until I tore a hamstring.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Older athletes limited running, still competitive? [Printer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Printer wrote:
I feel that your conclusions are based on invalid assumptions. Rob's post is correct. Please reread it. He's basically saying that you are running too hard too often.

You tried the Hanson's plan and it beat you up. Well, that's what it's supposed to do. What you really need to do is actually run your easy days easy, and, run them more often than you are currently running them today.

You've been given this same advice many times here on ST, but you keep looking for training shortcuts or excuses. There's only so many times you can lead a horse to water before you give up and get another horse.

I agree. These are endurance events. They require stamina more than speed. Even if you have speed, if you don't have stamina you won't sustain a fast pace. I am in my mid 60's. I run marathons in 3:30 to 3:40 (8:00 to 8:10 pace). My recent IM time is under 14 hours. I enjoy running so I run about 6 days a week. That doesn't change just because I have or don't have an event upcoming. Most of my runs are at an easy pace (8:45 for me). A couple of the runs will include a pickup to the 7:45 pace range. Normally for the last 4 miles of the run. What I never do is sprint (explosion) work.

That's it. Nothing complicated. I am not the fastest runner, but I am reasonably fast for my age. I seldom have injuries, including nagging ones. When I do, it is usually because I worked in the yard or around the house and strained something I don't normally stress.

Runner66, you stated "I'm sick of feeling old and gimpy. Is it possible to limit running to 2-3 days a week, mostly short runs with high intensity, and still be able to run the whole 13.1 in a Half?" 48 is not old. How would a few short runs at any pace build stamina? 13.1 miles is an endurance run, not an explosion run, so why not train for endurance?

You stated "I've been running for eleven years, but clearly I have worn out my legs already". Maybe you have. But 11 years is not that long. I have been running for over 30 years and my legs are fine. But I have seen many runners with awkward gaits and poor alignment that did suffer chronic leg issues. That might be something to have checked and something you work to change (not easy to do).
Last edited by: CPA_Triathlete: Apr 7, 15 8:59
Quote Reply

Prev Next