Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Old School Question: Andrew MacNaughton of Canada
Quote | Reply
Hi,

Perhaps Brad Kearns and some of the old(er) guard can setttle this>

When i am not doing my tri-life, I am a struggling musician.

And a huge fan of the canadian power-trio known to all as RUSH.

Watching their very, personally moving DVD from 2002's VaporTrail world tour: Rush in Rio!
There is a documentary bonus DVD included and it is Called "Boys in Brazil" and the film is credited to Andrew MacNaughton.

Question is: Is he our same 'Canuck who was the first to spring the DH aero bar on other pro's in winter of 1986.
What say you...........fellow followers of Toronto's finest?

TP
Quote Reply
Re: Old School Question: Andrew MacNaughton of Canada [TomP_imc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom,

I believe that is the triathlon Andrew MacNaughton. As my memory serves me right, Andrew was an early adopter of digital video and worked as a producer for this sort of content.

He had a very cool web site a long time ago - back in the very early days of the web that was video friendly and promoted his services. This was way before YouTube and all this other stuff came along.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Old School Question: Andrew MacNaughton of Canada [TomP_imc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 No, I think there are 2 MacNaughton's. The triathlete one is listed below, and is mostly a videographer/producer. The MacNaughton that filmed the mini Rush documentary behind the scenes in Brazil appears to be a highly respected concert photographer, who has been shooting bands for a long time as a specialty, and has taken some great shots of Rush for a many years. I may be wrong, but I think if the triathlete was the photographer MacNaughton who has been shooting band as a well known photog for a long time, it would have been mentioned in his bio, reprinted below.

BTW, Rush is incredible, and the Rush in Rio concert was one of the best I have ever seen capture a crowd completely swept up with a show! Not only did 40,000+ people sing every lyric, they sang the damn instrumentals. The whole storry of filming and recording that show with no sound check or testing of the recording equipment is really amazing.

Andrew MacNaughton
Producer

http://www.fritzfilms.net/peeps/andrew.html
MacNaughton was in his first feature at the age of 9, "Keep It In The Family", staring John Gavin, and has been interested in the entertainment industry ever since. He moved to Los Angeles in late spring of 1984 to pursue his acting but got swept away by the sport of triathlon. MacNaughton was one of the world's top triathletes for nine years and continues to be an advisor and mentor to young athletes.
After retiring from triathlon's professional elite in 1994, MacNaughton started Just Another Guy Enterprises and produced two documentaries. The first, "TRIUMPH: A Highway Chronicle", is the unique story of the legendary American emergence of the Triumph motorcycle, and the fanaticism that surrounds the Triumph Day Rally in Sturbridge, Massachusetts every year. The second, "A Walk in the Sky: A Lake Tahoe Architectural Heritage Tour", looks at the richness of architectural culture and structures of famous architects in the Lake Tahoe area in order to stimulate public awareness of contemporary issues in preservation.
In 1999 MacNaughton co-founded, IdiotCentral, a comedy improvisation workshop, an improvisation performance group, and a production company. The production company completed their first project summer 2000, "The Accountants", a parody of VH1's Behind the Music.
In 2001 MacNaughton Produced four shorts, starring in three of them, a television show and a feature. First was Cell Phone Disaster, the story of a man trying to figure out what really happens when you turn on your cell phone during a flight. Next, was Killing Time, the story of a woman and her relationship with her dog. Then, with the newly founded Amish Fist, was Waiting for... you know! , a parody of Beckett's Waiting for Godot. And finally, Joey Versus the Washer... how can a woman get her husband to do anything much less fix the washer?
The Television show, A Little Bit More, is an Italian cooking show, Starring the Chef Fratelli. And the feature, Film Dance, is a mockumentary of five aspiring filmmakers creating their features for the Film Dance festival.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Re: Old School Question: Andrew MacNaughton of Canada [GT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool - looks like I was right and wrong!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still keep in touch with Andrew. He made a bit of a racing comeback a few years ago at Wildflower, and as of late 2007 he was living in Taos New Mexico. I just gave him a call to ask him about film, though I am pretty sure there are Andrew MacNaughton's from Canada.

I was a fan of Rush, but a bigger fan of Canadian trio Triumph.

Emilio De Soto II
Maker of triathlon clothing, T1 Wetsuits, & Saddle Seat Pads and AXS since 1990
emilio@desotosport.com http://www.desotosport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Old School Question: Andrew MacNaughton of Canada [Emilio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hi emilio,

I saw triumph (Rik Emmet and the boys) twice during there strongest period. "Allied Forces" and "Fight the good fight" time frame

Rik is still out there as a great guitarist..............search youtube

Irony is that I work at ST advertiser, "Triumph Multisport"

BTW, You do great stuff, and have really made some great innovations over the last 25+ years

I bet EDeSoto SR is proud.

OK, love fest over. Everyone back to work, just 3 more hours until work is dismissed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will check it out on youtube. Funny about the name connection. I think there is a Triumph Multisport in Seattle and I believe a different Triumph Training out of Ottawa?

Is either one of these you? Thanks for the kind words. My father is very proud and my number one sponsored athlete! At age 76, he brags about offering De Soto more exposure because he is out on the race course longer than anyone else.

Funny to think that when I first founded De Soto Clothing back in 1990, he was frustrated at having sent me through university (mechanical engineering) and then graduate MBA school only for me to go into the apparel business.

Emilio De Soto II
Quote Reply
Re: Old School Question: Andrew MacNaughton of Canada [Emilio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Howdy,

I am indeeed at Triumph Multisport in Seattle.
We are a small competitor to your well established Seattle account, Speedy Reedy Triathlon Supply. (Hi Brooke!:)

Click here for my short bio.

We are a regional ST banner ad buyer (My region obviously, I chuckeled when you brought up the Triumph (power trio) reference because as I read it, our logo wwaws filling the bottom of the page.

Maybe we should adopt the old Triumph logo? LOL?
Click Here for triumph video
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got off the phone with Andrew. He is married and living in Taos. Skiiing and trail running a lot these days. He is not the Andrew who did the Rush DVD.

He is not far from the scene and I have a feeling that living in Taos, he is probably quite fit when it comes to lungs!

Emilio De Soto II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw triumph (Rik Emmet and the boys) twice during there strongest period. "Allied Forces" and "Fight the good fight" time frame

Tom,

I must say that you and Emilio have some strange tastes in music - loving Canadian Power Trio bands like Rush and Triumph. I am Canadian, and I have enjoyed both bands musicover the years, I would never say that I am a fan.

Quote Reply