Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Old LaHonda Personal Hillclimb Smackdown + Updated with Mt Hamilton Hillclimb pics
Quote | Reply
Today I ended my mini personal tour of California:

Stage 1: Wildflower Half Ironman
Stage 2: post Wildflower 4 hour ride with 3xNasty Grade
Stage 3: San Jose to Mount Hamilton Hillclimb
Stage 4: Palo Alto Old LaHonda Hillclimb (trying to race the ghost of Eric Heiden)

Full report on all three stages coming soon, but the big "race within the race" was to see what type of time I could put down on the 4th day on fried legs up Old LaHonda outside Palo Alto. Anyway, I was up at 5 am and after oats and coffee for breakfast, I parked in front of Starbucks on University Drive in Palo Alto (the start finish line of a stage should be beside Starbucks), got on the QROO Lucero, hammered up Sandhill Drive to the base of Old Lahonda, which aparently is a benchmark local climb, with narrow switchbacks and some steeper sections. Legend has Eric Heiden of speedskating fame setting the course record at just under 15 minutes.

My goal would be 30 minutes, given my lack of sleep, way too much riding, and Eric Heiden's time. I started from the corner and put it in the 34x21. During the entire climb I alternated between the 34x24 and 34x21, alternating standing and sitting. I reached 15 minutes and it looked like I had a lot more climbing to do to get to the summit at Skyline drive, so I held back...cross 20 minutes and keep going expecting a time over 25 minutes...suddenly I see the stop sign on Skyline in the distance....

Final time 21:31 (I guess I am only 2/3 the man that Eric Heiden is...not bad...)

Man, I wish I knew the course....I would have emptied the tank with 7-8 minutes to go and gone to Zone 5...I gave the course too much respect. I will be back in the future for a sub 20 attempt...which aparently is the local holy grail for performance on this climb.

Thanks to Christina for lending me the Mavic Ksyrium wheels for Mt Hamilton and Old LaHonda...you guys who live in this area don't know how good you have it...I only say 1 rider on Hamilton, and zero on Old Lahonda...if this was Ottawa, there would be roadies and trigeeks all over these climbs...you guys are spoiled :-)

The blast down 84 was great. I was racing cars down the mountain and beating them...the Lucero handles very well on technical descents for a tri bike, even with an 11 cm drop...ended up at Starbucks with a large Cafe Verona....black...then sat in traffic for way too long for the drive up to SFO...what a way to start the morning!

Dev
Last edited by: devashish paul: May 16, 07 0:00
Quote Reply
Re: Old LaHonda Personal Hillclimb Smackdown [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did grad school at Stanford...my personal best up OLH 20:01...haunts me to this day. I almost died on 84 another day doing exactly what you were doing (bike wound up under a semi)...be careful.

Stan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the Lucero handles very well on technical descents for a tri bike, even with an 11 cm drop

Dev,
11cm! You must be old. You might as well put wheels on a Lazy-y-boy and ride that down the road. :) I'm down to about 19 or so and starting to find my zone. Don't we get prizes at races for having the most drop?

I went to my children's swim meet on Saturday and was surprised to find there were some pretty big houses on top of the hills with the accompanying streets by which they were reached. I turned up the first and very quickly ran out of gear with a 34x25. Unfortunately you can't just hammer your brains out on those hills with the PCs, so I had to turn back after gingerly grinding through one section at 40 rpm. I turned up the next one and was quickly rejected once again and resigned myself to cruising around the flats on the aero bars.

Nice race, btw.

Chad
Quote Reply
Re: Old LaHonda Personal Hillclimb Smackdown [stansd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
20.01 is harsh. Was this with water bottles and flat repair gear or not? This morning I had no water bottles, no wallet, just pump, spare and cell phone...no tights or vest either. I figure that with a proper road bike, there might be some seconds I can shave off from the 21:31 as I find that I lose some torque in my pedal stroke from 1 O'Clock to 3 O'Clock while climbing in a seated position....you really can't push forward that well when the knees are in front of the pedal axle at 3 pm (optimized for aero position riding). Anyway, with a road bike and knowing the course sub 21 is in reach....but to go 6% harder and go sub 20 would mean that I have to get down to 138 lbs from the current 143.

I know what you mean about racing cars on switchbacks. I should know better being a 41 year old father, but when I am on my bike, I try not to think about the bad outcomes and concentrate on having fun and pointing my belly button where I need the bike to go :-)

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

If you hang around the bottom of OLH around 12:30 on Wednesdays, you can catch the "noon ride." On a good day, the faster guys will do sub-17s. I only learned a couple of years ago that the canonical starting point is the little stone bridge. I used to time it from the Stop sign.

I always do the big no-no and go back down OLH. 84 has two wicked bumps on turns at the top that can throw you if you're not careful. If anything happens, you're basically run over and dead. At least when you come down OLH, you stand a chance.

-- jens
Last edited by: jens: May 8, 07 19:02
Quote Reply
Re: Old LaHonda Personal Hillclimb Smackdown [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jens...next time I am down how bout we head up OLH. Do you live in Palo Alto? Start 50 m in front of me at a sub 20 pace and I'll try and match it (ie no drafting). So if I move the starting point, how many seconds does that shave off? I love all these climbs with their local legends and starting points. I can't wait to do Whiteface Mountain in Lake Placid and Apex outside Penticton later this year

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev,

I had a set of wheels at Wildflower that you could have borrowed too. Eric Heiden's OLH time is 14:10 measured from the end of the bridge to the stop sign so that will give you something to shoot for. Let me know when you're in town next time and I can pace you to a sub 20 minute time. When I was doing a lot of bike racing I climbed up in 16:45 but it's been a couple of years since I focused on climbing. I'm looking forward to seeing what you have to say about the local climbs.

-Darrell

Quote Reply
Re: Old LaHonda Personal Hillclimb Smackdown [Darrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Darrel, many thanks for bringing by the wheels. I looked around after the race for you around the expo, but I must admit, not particularly carefully in the midst of a race impaired post race mental mindset. Plus I had to ride back from the race to the house I was sharing with Desertdude, which entailed a 60 min ride with another 2000 ft of climbing...no way I could have done that riding no hands with two wheels in my hands.

With respect to the local climbs, I have to say I prefer the type of climbs like Old Lahonda, or Page Mill over Mt Hamilton. I prefer my climbs a bit steeper where I have a better power to weight advantage. Next time I am here, I will swing by your store and rent a proper road bike and you can try and pace me to a sub 20. I find with any climb, you really have to get to know the climb to realize where to hammer on steep parts if you know there is a flatter section in the near future where you can recover while going fast.

To date my favourite climbs of all time are the Grimselpass and Sustenpasses out of Meringen in Switzerland. The region may look familiar from some James Bond films, and although they are not as famous as climbs in the Giro and Tour de France they are just as challenging climbing in the range of 1600m each over ~25K or so (if memory serves me well).

Dev

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Jens...next time I am down how bout we head up OLH. Do you live in Palo Alto? Start 50 m in front of me at a sub 20 pace and I'll try and match it (ie no drafting). So if I move the starting point, how many seconds does that shave off? I love all these climbs with their local legends and starting points. I can't wait to do Whiteface Mountain in Lake Placid and Apex outside Penticton later this year

Dev

I live in Portola Valley about a 5minute ride away from the bottom of OLH.

Just send me an email before you come. My best times have been stubbornly stuck in the high 16s. I'm hoping to improve on that with the new Soloist.

-- jens
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you come back to the area try this one: Climb up Old La Honda. At the top cross HWY 35 and descend the westside of Old La Honda to 84. Take a left and continue on 84 (west) for about 4-5 miles. It's all downhill. Take a left at Pescadero Rd. Ride a couple of miles till you come to Alpine Road. Ascend the backside or westside of Alpine Road. Alpine is just like Old La Honda except twice as long and steeper. You eventually arrive at Hwy 35. Cross the road and now you are at the top of Page Mill Road. Descend Page Mill back to Los Altos, etc.

Another challenging ride in my neck of the woods is Mt. Diablo from the Danville side- another beauty of a climb and road. I think Lieto (he lives here in Danville) holds the record ? at around 45 minutes?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Old LaHonda Personal Hillclimb Smackdown [Zard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Another challenging ride in my neck of the woods is Mt. Diablo from the Danville side- another beauty of a climb and road. I think Lieto (he lives here in Danville) holds the record ? at around 45 minutes?

Greg Drake of the Webcor team holds the record at around 44:50. Lieto got 2nd that year about 1 minute behind. I'm pretty sure that one other rider (John Hunt) has come in with a 45:?? time.

In general under 1hr is the standard for a good ride and under 50 minutes is pretty elite. Last year about 130 or so out of 950 finishers went under an hour and I think 7 went under 50 minutes.

I didn't race the year that Drake set the record, but I believe that he had his team there and they drove the pace for the first half or so to keep the group from going tactical, looking at each other and slowing down. It seems to have worked!

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Last edited by: nslckevin: May 9, 07 8:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev,

Well, if you wanted steeper you should have taken advantage of my first suggestion. I recommended the Quimby alternative to Mt Hamilton as a cruel joke. Quimby is 4.5 miles of over 10-12 percent. It shaves off the first climb of Hamilton.
Quote Reply
Re: Old LaHonda Personal Hillclimb Smackdown [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jens and Darrell....I was not thinking straight and packed my bike into the bike case last nite! What I just realized is that I am done with the "panel" that I am speaking at around 5 pm today in San Jose and I would have had ~4 hours to kill before catching my red-eye flt home out of SFO...I guess I could have done another Old LaHonda attempt tonite.....so what is the chance that we can scrape up a road bike size 51-53 with 172.5 cranks? That could be fun :-). I can dig my pedals and shoes out of the bike case....but don't put yourself out as I have an "optional" dinner meeting, that could just as easily be achieved over lunch today. I'm not sure I will have internet coverage during the day, but you can call my cell 613-882-1544 if this actually is viable.

if not, we can save it for a future attempt. I'm not in the area often for work or pleasure, but enjoy all your rides here. IronCLM was pointing out the ride to Mount Tam yesterday evening. I think that and Diablo need to be done.

Maybe if you put on a "Jen's" ST Tour de Bay area hillclimb challenge (something like 5 timed climbs in 3 days), I'd fly out for it :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Old LaHonda Personal Hillclimb Smackdown [rocklinwoody] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
or down 84 to pescadero, down the 1 to SC, from santa cruz take the 9 to scotts valley and head up alba road. 5.1 miles @ 10%. brutal! I like hamiltron. it would be really bad assed if that valley weren't in the middle.

In Reply To:
Dev,

Well, if you wanted steeper you should have taken advantage of my first suggestion. I recommended the Quimby alternative to Mt Hamilton as a cruel joke. Quimby is 4.5 miles of over 10-12 percent. It shaves off the first climb of Hamilton.

All you need is a dollar and a dream..and a severe f*&%ing beating!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's the worst part of it all...We had a support car where we dropped our gear. I dropped everything, but forgot my saddle bag, which was probably half a pound...still wonder if that would have made the difference-still admire the coach for not giving me the benefit of the doubt...he clocked me fair and square.

I was 180 at the time (leftover muscle from my days as an offensive guard...oh to be 143:)

Zac
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let me know next time you're in town and you can borrow a bike from me. I have a pretty good stable at home and typically ride any where from a 52-54 depending on the exact geometry of the frame. I just got a new frame so my old Ti one will be built up as a rain bike. Either way I should have an extra bike you can borrow when you're in town.

-Darrell

Quote Reply
Re: Old LaHonda Personal Hillclimb Smackdown [flim-mike-bunz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like taking people who are new to the area up Bonny Doon from Hwy 1. It's not as steep as Alba but on a hot day it can be brutal. People are always discouraged when you tell them that you're still a couple hours away from the Palo Alto/Menlo Park area.

-Darrell

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"People are always discouraged when you tell them that you're still a couple hours away from the Palo Alto/Menlo Park area. "
-----------------------

If you REALLY want to discourage them, have them head back by way of East Zayante...on a P3C. OUCH! ;)

Haim

-------------------------------------------------------
"Sometimes you need to think INSIDE the box!" -- ME
"Why squirrel hate me?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Darrell. Will do. By the way here are pics from the summit of Mt. Hamilton (1:33.05....nothing to write home about....I'll use 2 days after WF as an excuse...next time sub 1:20):

Final Switchback before summit:

Pic downward from summit showing ascent (busted for climing with a bottle...too much weight)

Looking West South West from summit across San Jose with Santa Cruz mtns in background (note Lucero bike pjorn with poser Wildflower race number still attached):

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice pictures Dev. That last section of the Mt.Hamilton climb looks challenging.

------------------------------------------------------------
Searching for the bliss of ultimate exertion.
Quote Reply
Re: Old LaHonda Personal Hillclimb Smackdown [callidus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few more from 4100 ft above the Bay:

West North West from the Summit with San Jose, Santa Clara, Mountainview, Palo Alto etc vaguely visible on the west side of the bay (also barely visible):

Observatory (if you have flown into San Jose airport, you see it to your right on the final descent of the aircraft heading north):

Quote Reply