Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ok Fishes and fans, its NCAA time!!!
Quote | Reply
SO cannot find it anywhere live that I have access to, so just looking at the kind of live results of the ladies Div 1. So far after day 2 is eventually over, looks like Florida may have the lead against heavy favorite Virginia. Florida is swimming over their heads for sure, Virginia doing what they do, but a few swimmers missing the finals they may have thought they would be in..

I dont know a ton about womens NCAA, but is this a possible upset in the making? I see Berkoff jumped on the medley relay by just a hair and cost her team 3rd place I believe. That's a crushing blow when you only have a few swimmers and your team depends on those big relay points. Gretchen Walsh is on fire for Virginia, swam the fastest ever 50 back in the relay(but counts as flat start) of 22.1. She is going to have a really big meet it looks like, but with so few swims per person, you really need a big team to back you up...Lots of olympic hopefuls in this meet too, more than the men I bet...

Here is the results page for anyone interested:

https://swimmeetresults.tech/...vision-I-Women-2024/
Last edited by: monty: Mar 21, 24 16:32
Quote Reply
Re: Ok Fishes and fans, its NCAA time!!! [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We are hosting the D3 champs here in Greensboro. This morning lead off relay for Kenyon lady lost her goggles. They fell to the B final tonight while Dennison took 2nd. Tonight Kenyon would have placed 4th but since B final only 9th place points. That may end up being the difference by Sat night. Crazy how close some of these team battles turn into.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m pretty sure this is still UVA’s meet to lose. Florida obviously is swimming really well. But I think UVA’s depth will prevail. And when you have 2 swimmers that likely will win all 3 of their individual events in a championship format, you are hard to beat.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Ok Fishes and fans, its NCAA time!!! [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For sure the depth will matter, but I just looked over a couple events for tomorrow and Florida has a couple swimmers that can make finals, and in the 200 free they crush Virginia. Of course they won the 4x200 relay, so not surprising. It really comes down to who can eeek their way into the finals, and then who swims over their heads to get bodies in the B final. Looks to me if Florida has another good day tomorrow, they would still maybe hold the lead. And I dont think anyone thought that was possible, some great races coming up!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UVA is up by 47.5 points after tonight. Florida’s 200 free lineup is definitely strong. Barring a fiasco, I would still expect UVA to be up after tomorrow.

Edit: we can expect a few swimmers to miss the A and B finals that shouldn’t. Happens every year and some just have a poor prelims swim and just miss it. We’ll see if that affects the final outcome.

blog
Last edited by: stevej: Mar 21, 24 18:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where are you getting the results, because the page I posted only is giving the 200IM for todays finals. Not sure why, all events are in the can, just cannot see them. A reliable link would be much appreciated...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've seen the updated scores through tonight has UVA up 47.5.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Ok Fishes and fans, its NCAA time!!! [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya I just saw the final 200 free relay results, Florida choked big time. If they just do their entered time or a few 100ths faster than it, they get 4th instead of 10th, a 16 point swing. Those are the places a team really need to capitalize on to do well overall, but man those relays were close, 3rd to 9th only .6 seconds apart...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's funny that's what happened this morning. I was talking with the Kenyon coach 5 mins after it happened, and all you can do is shrug and move on. These are college kids, shit happens, all you can do is move on, but it's wild the smallest of "oh shit" moments can have that type of impact (damn goggles fall off on the opening dive). And then of course you see the heart break on their faces, they know they "fucked up". They came back tonight and finished 9th in B to get max points for what they could, but in the D3 race, it was also going to be basically a 16 point swing. They trail Dennison by 32 points after day 2.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Mar 21, 24 18:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Where are you getting the results, because the page I posted only is giving the 200IM for todays finals. Not sure why, all events are in the can, just cannot see them. A reliable link would be much appreciated...

Swimswam.com will tell you all you want to know and more. :) https://swimswam.com/

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's more to life than DI.

DII Nationals were last weekend. Those Colorado Mesa women finished second as a team, highest placing ever. Well done Coach Wender. My advisee is a repeat multi-national title holder AND the DII men's swimmer of the year (again). He's also qualified for the Trials this summer. #RumbleMavs

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So looks like the real battle will be for 2nd between Texas and Florida. Looked ahead to future events, and both teams have strong prospects in different events. Virginia is putting more distance between, but not as much as I think the pre meet calculations predicted. Some really great swims by our olympic hopefuls, lots of PR's and some records. Trials is going to be brutal having to be top 2 in most events, really have to be on full form for that meet...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gretchen Walsh split a 48.2 lead off in the 400 medley relay tonight. Faster than any fly split of any other team. Oh and she would have won the individual event with that time.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To be clear in case any non-swimmers come sneaking around... that means her 100 backstroke leadoff in the 400 Medley Relay was faster than anyone's* 100 butterfly individually.

*anyone not named Gretchen Walsh ;)

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
KJ@allterrainendurance.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Gretchen Walsh split a 48.2 lead off in the 400 medley relay tonight. Faster than any backstroke split of any other team. Oh and she would have won the individual event with that time.

I kind of feel sorry for Katharine Berkoff as she has to suspect that she only won the 100 back b/c Gretchen chose to swim the 100 fly. (I know, I know you can only race whoever shows up. :)) Further, it is pretty incredible that Gretchen holds the 100 yd American Record (AR) in 3 out of the 4 strokes: fly, back, and free, plus of course the 50 free AR. She is an amazing talent but her older sister Alex is pretty great also. :)

Quote Reply
Re: Ok Fishes and fans, its NCAA time!!! [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I kind of feel sorry for Katharine Berkoff as she has to suspect that she only won the 100 back b/c Gretchen chose to swim the 100 fly//

Well if that makes you feel sorry, how about just about every dude except the 50 sprinters and Leon Marchand?? Dude could win most every event in the program, certainly would podium all the ones he didnt win. And who knows, maybe even a podium in the 50 free too, guy who goes such a fast 50 breast can probably bust out an 18+...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I kind of feel sorry for Katharine Berkoff as she has to suspect that she only won the 100 back b/c Gretchen chose to swim the 100 fly//

Well if that makes you feel sorry, how about just about every dude except the 50 sprinters and Leon Marchand?? Dude could win most every event in the program, certainly would podium all the ones he didn't win. And who knows, maybe even a podium in the 50 free too, guy who goes such a fast 50 breast can probably bust out an 18+...

For sure, we can talk about that next week during the Men's NCAAs. For tonight's finals, the same situation exists with the women's 200 fly: Alex Walsh has the AR by about 2 sec over the other entries, but she chose to swim the 200 breast where she is the top seed.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Getting close, after 200 back Texas is only 16pts ahead of Florida, and they kind of choked that race. Had 3 finalists who all underperformed in the final. Texas has a huge line up in the 200 fly, but Fla has a few more in the other events. May come down to relay, Fla has a possible scoring diver too..

Wish I could have seen that 200 back too, probably really hard to know who actually won between the top 3..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great swim by Ivey from Fla in the 100 free to get 3rd, a 2 point difference now for 2nd and 3rd. Virginia is doing their thing, dominating the meet now with so many making A and B finals...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great swims from Texas in the 200 breast, and with the 200 fly left I think we can call the podium for the meet;

1. Virginia
2.Texas
3 Florida

Seems like even if Texas were to DQ in the last relay, they would still squeak by with all the points they should get in the fly and 1650...

Now for the mens!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This one single stroke 50 breast is mind blowing.

Quote Reply
Re: Ok Fishes and fans, its NCAA time!!! [wetswimmer99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wetswimmer99 wrote:
This one single stroke 50 breast is mind blowing.

Ya unbelievable espec his time of 26.7. I've seen a video where a U of Texas swimmer did this in 28.0 but Marchand is clearly in a league of his own. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This kid is in my mind the greatest overall swimmer of all time, and he is still just a Jr. Yes mind blowing his feel for the water and how to best move through it as quickly as possible. A one stroke 50 breast, which of course means no dolphin kicking beyond the one allowed off the walls and start, and doing a 26+, well has to be intimidating.

I could be spinning my arms as fast as possible doing free and maybe just get touched out by him..Context...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I broke down and am paying the 11 bucks to get ESPN for the month, well worth it to watch these races. So first relay in the books and a minor upset of the favored ASU. Florida took it to them, and Liendo's 18.9 fly split sealed the deal. Remember when that used to be a great free split?? Gators almost broke 1;20, hard to believe that the medley relay is now averaging 20 flat a person.

ASU hung in for 2nd, Cal was 4th and NC state 3rd. In the grand scheme of things, this could be great for Florida and their hopes for a podium, being that the top step has already been granted to Marchand and his ASU team. Gonna be really hard to not have that be the case, but the other teams are all in play for those next spots..

Next up 4x200 relay, wonder if Marchand will lead off and go for a top 200 flat start time?? He already has the fastest ever relay split from last year, and since he is doing the 500 this year, might be a nice audition for NCAA GOAT...
Last edited by: monty: Mar 27, 24 15:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Luke Hobson lead off the B final in a 1;29;13 for a new NCAA record, so only question is it going to last more than one heat> Leon is leading off the A final..Texas a 6;05+ in that B final heat, could win the whole dam thing....
Quote Reply

Prev Next