Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ok, need help waterproofing my headset bearings...
Quote | Reply
I have a Ritchey drop in integrated headset on the Plasma and the bearings have been fairly susceptible to rusting when washed or when I ride in the rain.

I've taken it apart and cleaned the top and bottom bearings, lubed them up and re-installed. Got caught in a nasty downpour yesterday and by the time I got home I was seeing the rusty water drip down frame from the top bearing.

Thoughts on how I can get a better seal?

-Alex

Last edited by: bostonalex: Jul 28, 14 7:37
Quote Reply
Re: Ok, need help waterproofing my headset bearings... [bostonalex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
use a very thin o-ring?

more lube?
Quote Reply
Re: Ok, need help waterproofing my headset bearings... [Mr.Pie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mr.Pie wrote:
use a very thin o-ring?

more lube?

Very thin O-Ring where? Happy to give it a shot at this point...

-Alex

Quote Reply
Re: Ok, need help waterproofing my headset bearings... [bostonalex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bostonalex wrote:
I have a Ritchey drop in integrated headset on the Plasma and the bearings have been fairly susceptible to rusting when washed or when I ride in the rain.

I've taken it apart and cleaned the top and bottom bearings, lubed them up and re-installed. Got caught in a nasty downpour yesterday and by the time I got home I was seeing the rusty water drip down frame from the top bearing.

Thoughts on how I can get a better seal?

Waterproof grease? Go to a marine supply store and get some :)

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vasoline

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ok, need help waterproofing my headset bearings... [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That. Marine grease. And O-rings. Do you not have thin rubber O-rings over the bearings?
Quote Reply
Re: Ok, need help waterproofing my headset bearings... [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
That. Marine grease. And O-rings. Do you not have thin rubber O-rings over the bearings?

Ok, upon further review, the bearings are still ok, it's the metal where the outside of the bearings meet the carbon fiber that is rusting. I popped open both bearings and all was good inside, but outside the bearing casing, yeah, rust.

Ok, so the O Rings, where to put them?

-Alex

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bostonalex wrote:
Dilbert wrote:

Ok, upon further review, the bearings are still ok, it's the metal where the outside of the bearings meet the carbon fiber that is rusting. I popped open both bearings and all was good inside, but outside the bearing casing, yeah, rust.

Ok, so the O Rings, where to put them?

And... upon further, further review... the problem was self inflicted... When I trimmed the steerer tube, there wasn't enough space below the top cap, thus no amount of tightening was ever going to seal the headset correctly. Added a 1mm spacer, bang, all set.

I did take the opportunity to put a doubled up rubber band around the bottom race as well as a small Garmin o-ring around the top bearing cover.

#derp

-Alex

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be more inclined to use a high quality grease (mobile 1, phil wood's) and overpack the bearing with it than any form of o-ring shenanigans. Overpack means that grease squeezes out when everything tightens up.

And then clean out the grease on a semi-regular basis. Never had problems with headsets (even living in the PNW).

The question of who is right and who is wrong has seemed to me always too small to be worth a moment's thought, while the question of what is right and what is wrong has seemed all-important.

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both my store assembled bikes had an extra spacer under the headset cap. The spacer was just enough to raise the cap so that the rubber seal built into the cap did not quite reach the frame, so there was a gap where water could get in. I was able to remove the spacer and create a perfect seal that did not bind. YMMV.
Quote Reply