Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Offroad racing tips & quesitons
Quote | Reply
I'm doing my first off-road race this weekend. It's a duathalon: 3r/18b/3r.

I've never done a mt bike race before (I ride frequently, just never raced), what are the passing rules and etiquette for mt biking? Since there is typically a lot less room to pass others on trails, I wasn't sure what people normally do..for passing another, and what you should do when someone needs to pass during a race?

Do things get jammed up on these kind of things?

Second..what do folks normally do for water...do you take bottles, or is using a camel back more common on mt biking races? On this race there won't be any water stops on the loop, so you will need to take a couple bottles or camel back.

Any other tips on things to to do or don't do for mt biking races?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Offroad racing tips & quesitons [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pre ride the course if at all possible. If you think you are going to pass someone , try to think and look ahead and pick a good spot to pass - wide or uphill(narrow forces the slower rider to interupt their rhythm, and downhill is harder to pass unless the other person is not any good at all technically compared to you or the other person brakes, which again is not very nice at all for their results), where you can make progress and not force the other ride to stop or give up the only good line if possible, but be sure to yell track (not sure if duathlon would be exactly the same as NORBA here...) to let them know you are coming. If you can hear someone closing on you, try to look ahead for yourself for a spot where both of you can fit on the trail, and signal the other rider ahead. At least in NORBA, it was in the rules that you have to let someone faster pass you - blocking is not good sportsmanship.

You preride so you can figure out where the spots are that things get blocked up so you can attack before those spots on race day. :) Most MTB race courses have lots of wide sections as opposed to trails we normally get to ride around where I live and duathlon courses are supposedly mostly *non* technical.

Check your bikes brakes, shifting and tires a few days before the race.
Last edited by: SWoo: Mar 24, 06 16:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
camel backs are much more common because they are easier to drink out of over technical stuff.

It is pretty common to get jammed up on the track, especially if there would be stronger runners weaker bikers, just stay sharp and make sure there is nothing to catch ur wheel if u duck off the track. U should move over to let someone pass but it doesnt always happen. As a last resort give them a nudge with ur tire to accenture ur "on ur left (right)"

I think that about covers it. Good luck.

--------------
I don't fear none of my enemies cauz i've faced down a far greater foe than these, anxiety. BEP/PR
Take a look at my sponsors
http://www.firstendurance.com http://www.dpmsports.com http://www.maxxis.com http://www.crankbrothers.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As mentioned knowing the course is a big advantage. Even if you can't ride it get a map so you have some idea of elevation changes. Here in CO many races are up for a long time then mad down hills. As for passing this can take some guts depending on the course. I often find that uphill or a transition to an uphill is a great time to pass. If someone is behind you don't just move, make sure they can pass you, don't just give up your spot.

Since you are not all starting the bike at the same time this is good so you don't have the swim start type issues with avoiding slower riders but it is important to know when (if) it goes to single track because you want to pass as many people as you can before that happens.

Races can get jammed at technical spots or if someone clips out etc. and then you just have to decide to spin through it or to get off and run around the chaos. I can't remember who said it but a female pro mtn biker said in an interview once that although sometimes people get frustrated when she runs around obstacles that she gets paid to win, not showcase her skills which I found helpful to remember when racing.

Have a blast and good luck!
Quote Reply