Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Skip Gilbert thread [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I also wonder, from a legal point of view, whether they are free to discuss those issues and provide the kind of details that Dave, Dan and you are asking of them?"

you raise an interesting point. i don't think there's anything legally preventing them from answering the questions. however, i think there's a matter of board ethics. first, it's customary for this board to do its speaking only through its president, especially in dicey situations. second, if the majority of the board votes to keep a matter quiet, then, there's that - each member is bound to silence. and my understanding is, that's what happened in this case.

but there are two other elements to this. first, i'm not necessarily in a hurry to get my answers. if the board wants to take a few days, settle matters, and then board members (now unbound from oaths of silence) want to address their constituents, that's fine.

second, i think you are placed in an ethical dilemma if you're a board member and you see something happening that is in your mind, not right, not ethical, improper, unwise, imprudent, but you're constrained by a majority of the board to stay silent, what do you do? to whom are you responsible? the other board members? or your constituents, and to the organization at large? i'm not saying that what happened last week was improper, imprudent, just, in general, what is the ethical obligation of the board member?

so i'm willing to give the board the benefit of the doubt, but, only up to a point. then - and i'm speaking about me alone - i feel i have two obligations of my own. first, i'm an annual member, and i'd like my board member to tell me what happened, what he thought, what he did, and why. second, there is not a lot of media that covers triathlon politics in america, and we are one portal that does, so, it seems we have an obligation to see if we can get answers from various board members in other regions, and report these answers to the membership who do read slowtwitch.

i obviously see a disconnect between treating your ED in a way during his departure that is asymmetrical with a statement thanking him for his service. that seems incongruous. that's unfortunate, and that really does beg an explanation. still, i don't want to crawl too far out on a limb. i have a lot of respect and sympathy for USAT board members. i'd like to hear their explanations. of course, this assumes the members of the board offer explanations - i can't report what they say if they won't say anything ;-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Official Skip Gilbert thread [LazyEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean,
Read my post again please, I don't doubt what you say but please read what I said as to a solution. USAT or whatever it was called in 1982 (I believe Triathlon USA) was formed for Race Directors by Race Directors. Unlike other NGB's, Cycling included, this Federation and the sport was grown by Age Groupers and non-Olympic Pros, mostly IM participants. In 1989 the ITU was formed and thus began the push for the Olympic aspect of the sport. However unlike Triathlon USA which was a natural and unforced growth due to the fascination with Ironman (Wide World of Sports 1982) and the Budlight Series, etc the Olympic movement and the ITU was a forced and artificial concoction thrust on the rest of the sport which by that time was in full bloom.

As I said earlier and please read this carefully, USAT should step away from the Olympic movement and devote itself to Age Group athletes and non-Olympic Pros. People don't do Triathlon because of the Olympics but they do it because of Ironman and events like it. When you consider the effort and cost to the Federation USOC funding versus Age Group dues, it's not fiscally smart to operate under the present relationship. All it has done is essentially take the focus of the original mission of USAT which was sanctioning and growth of the sport at the grassroots level. If you compare this to USA Cycling which I hold a membership, the events are not nearly as organized or safe.
Jack Weiss
Quote Reply
Re: Official Skip Gilbert thread [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, the By-Laws as posted on the USAT Website talk about the Board of Directors, their election and their duties. More specifics are spent on the Officers of the Board: President, VP, Secretary and Treasurer. However it does go into detail on the criteria for selecting athlete reps, meaning Pro/elite.

What I may have failed to convey is this, if I am elected to the Board, it was based on my RD background and consequently my focus would be to insure race director interests as a whole were protected and advocated where necessary. However if the Board is voting on selecting various events as national Championships or bid requests and one of my events are a part of that discussion and vote then by the USAT Code of Ethics I must recuse myself since any action I would take as a Board member on this particular vote would directly impact my company and my person in a positive way.

Elites on the Board do not have deal with that. They can discuss and vote for funding programs and other perks that will in fact effect them directly where they will in fact reap the benefits of their own vote. So while they are in fact elected to represent their peers they also can and have made personal choices on votes before the Board supporting programs that benefit them directly, a direct contradiction to the USAT Code of Ethics which also can be found on the Web site. Hope that clarifies that for you.
Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Official Skip Gilbert thread [ironjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jack, I might be wrong, but this is exactly what my gutt is telling me. Nothing else so far has the logic to justify the boards actions. This is why I guessed that the 3 elites might have pushed for their personal agenda since I have heard elites complain about them not getting enough support.

So, Jack and Dan, please keep pushing to find out what happened, and then maybe, what we can do about it. I am SO tired of hearing elites complain they do not make enough money and are not respected. Well, I hear the same thing from teachers, and every other profession I know of. Bottom line is I have NO desire to pay for elites. I agree they can setup their own organization and fight for finding funding.

This is such a dark moment in our sport. How 3 out of 8 can represent just 100 folks, and have the same 1/8 vote, is a joke, and makes NO sense.

Jack, thanks for your posts and data.

This excuse about the board voted to keep quiet is a joke!!! If this is their excuse, is it time for a board wide recall effort?

In Reply To:
And that is exactly the point! The composition of the Board and the USOC requirements as presented in our By-Laws absolutely leads to the Elites voting their self-interests and not necessarily for the good of the Federation. There are less then 100 pros represented by these 3 Board members and over 135,000 age group members, not to mention at least 500 Race Directors. Yet for all that we have only 8 elected reps. Do the math, the Pros represent 33 folks per Board member, the other Board members represent roughly 17,000 members per Board member. Considering the USOC financial support of the Federation (in 2005 was only $500,000 and annual memberships garner well over 3 million $$ annually) the By-Laws with regard to essential USAT business and representation is flawed. In my time on the Board if I had voted in favor of proposals benefitting me directly as the Elites are permitted to do, I would have been removed for Ethics violations.

In 2005 I proposed with Dan's assistance that USAT separate itself and let the USOC develop it's own Olympic program and that USAT once again revert to it's original mission prior to 1996: Sanctioning races and providing safe venues for Age Groupers and non-Olympic Pros. Interestingly one of the items that infuriated the 3 Elites was the fact that Skip went to the USOC and actually got approval to expand the pro representation within the AAC to include Ironman and XTerra Pro athletes. Obviously this would have diluted the influence of the Olympic Elites who over the years have pretty much had the financial situation all to themselves. Please also note thru 2005 when I was the Treasurer and Board member, USAT age Group dues financed roughly 40 percent of the Elite Program as the USOC funding fell substantially short of the requirements to train and field an Olympic Team. Yet the Elites not only were able to determine the use of these funds but in fact had a say in the use of Age Group funds and programs. Is this fair, you tell me.

So yes, these Elites do owe ALL of us an explanation on why they vote the way they vote. I doubt things have changed much on the funding aspect so if I am paying dues and for the record mine are paid thru Dec 2012, then yes we have right to know all the votes and I believe that's why Dan successfully had the Sunshine Policy included in the By-Laws.

Jack Weiss

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Official Skip Gilbert thread [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dave, i will keep asking about the actions of the past week. at the same time, i do believe the board has both the right and the responsibility to make these decisions, including who runs the federation as chief executive. i don't begrudge the board, or the elites on the board, the decision to make that personnel change. that's what we empower them to do. i'm going to start by giving them the benefit of the doubt.

but i do have questions as to process, and, whether we're treating our employees appropriately, because this does reflect on the health and future of the organization. our votes for our board members have to be based on something, so, while i do start by giving them the benefit of the doubt, i do think it's appropriate to ask for answers. just, don't be in too much of a hurry. some board members are in budapest, there are HR issues to be resolved, so, maybe best to put this on low boil for a few days.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Official Skip Gilbert thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair Dan. But, to have the board only say what they said and how they said it so far, and how they treated Skip, is just something I am very upset about. I worked enough first hand with Skip that no way do I see he should have been removed, let alone treated the way he was. I have worked with enough boards over the years and my first hand experience is the vast majority of them have a big ego, and think their way is the ONLY way. I have always been a person to fight against these types since they are supposed to be our representatives, NOT pushing their personal agenda!

I have run my own Yahoo group forum at our HOA for the last 10 years which basically allows our community to talk about the stuff our board is doing, which a lot has been shown to be illegal. It really gets the board upset since they cannot do anything to stop the members from talking about things they try to hide in executive session. (Kind of like ST, but I DO NOT allow any personal attacks on folks, other than me. :o) )

So, the longer it takes to get "official" reasons why the board removed Skip, the more concerned it might have been pushed by a few with their personal agendas.

Now, I still have an open mind on the why, but nothing they can say will change how they treated Skip is enough for me not to ask them to resign. Just my strong ethics on how others should be treated!!! I can think of NO excuse for their actions in this area, can you?

Thanks for staying on top of this, keeping an open mind, but NOT letting it just slide, as I expect they want to happen.

In Reply To:
dave, i will keep asking about the actions of the past week. at the same time, i do believe the board has both the right and the responsibility to make these decisions, including who runs the federation as chief executive. i don't begrudge the board, or the elites on the board, the decision to make that personnel change. that's what we empower them to do. i'm going to start by giving them the benefit of the doubt.

but i do have questions as to process, and, whether we're treating our employees appropriately, because this does reflect on the health and future of the organization. our votes for our board members have to be based on something, so, while i do start by giving them the benefit of the doubt, i do think it's appropriate to ask for answers. just, don't be in too much of a hurry. some board members are in budapest, there are HR issues to be resolved, so, maybe best to put this on low boil for a few days.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"to have the board only say what they said and how they said it so far, and how they treated Skip, is just something I am very upset about"

yes, i understand, and i don't disagree, but, they are still in the HR process. while few are speaking, and no one openly, i think it's to be assumed that the board, and skip, are working out the terms of his separation. so i think it's to be expected that there will be a few days of board silence.

at the same time, inertia will always going to flow toward secrecy and non-disclosure. transparency doesn't come naturally, you have inject energy into the system to get the transparency you want. i think the board understands this.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We just need to keep the pressure on until we get the real facts. So, how long until you would feel they will just ignore your requests to what happened and why?

Then with or without this data, we as the owners of our organization, can decide if it is time to take it back. :o)

In Reply To:
"to have the board only say what they said and how they said it so far, and how they treated Skip, is just something I am very upset about"

yes, i understand, and i don't disagree, but, they are still in the HR process. while few are speaking, and no one openly, i think it's to be assumed that the board, and skip, are working out the terms of his separation. so i think it's to be expected that there will be a few days of board silence.

at the same time, inertia will always going to flow toward secrecy and non-disclosure. transparency doesn't come naturally, you have inject energy into the system to get the transparency you want. i think the board understands this.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"how long until you would feel they will just ignore your requests to what happened and why?"

at some point, the HR process will be concluded. it's entirely possible that there will still be agreements by both sides not to talk. at that point, i have both a news obligation, and i have whatever compels me to write my opinions. on the subject of my opinion - writing oped pieces on the site proper - my current modus operandi is, the lesser the better. (on the reader forum, which is our "digital water cooler," that's different, because i'm just a guy, just like you. i'm a "citizen.")

as per the news, as of TODAY i don't anticipate writing anything until the HR process is concluded. then, even if there are non-disclosures signed, and still nobody wants to talk, if i think there are facts germane to the process i'll try to uncover them and display them. this, because USAT controls the processes that underlay a cultural institution, that is to say, what they do greatly affects people's lives; and, because it's an organization that is publicly owned, it's granted what you might call "monopoly protection" by the federal government, and these processes ought to be transparent. were important decisions and processes blocked from public view, how are members supposed to know how to vote? and even non-members, non-triathletes, pay taxes that flow to USAT. why should these processes and actions be hidden?

the board deserves a little elbow room to operate. but there is also the mandate of transparency, not simply because that exists inside USAT's bylaws, but because of the elements i mention above.

that's the long answer. the short answer: next week.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, seems fair

In Reply To:
"how long until you would feel they will just ignore your requests to what happened and why?"

at some point, the HR process will be concluded. it's entirely possible that there will still be agreements by both sides not to talk. at that point, i have both a news obligation, and i have whatever compels me to write my opinions. on the subject of my opinion - writing oped pieces on the site proper - my current modus operandi is, the lesser the better. (on the reader forum, which is our "digital water cooler," that's different, because i'm just a guy, just like you. i'm a "citizen.")

as per the news, as of TODAY i don't anticipate writing anything until the HR process is concluded. then, even if there are non-disclosures signed, and still nobody wants to talk, if i think there are facts germane to the process i'll try to uncover them and display them. this, because USAT controls the processes that underlay a cultural institution, that is to say, what they do greatly affects people's lives; and, because it's an organization that is publicly owned, it's granted what you might call "monopoly protection" by the federal government, and these processes ought to be transparent. were important decisions and processes blocked from public view, how are members supposed to know how to vote? and even non-members, non-triathletes, pay taxes that flow to USAT. why should these processes and actions be hidden?

the board deserves a little elbow room to operate. but there is also the mandate of transparency, not simply because that exists inside USAT's bylaws, but because of the elements i mention above.

that's the long answer. the short answer: next week.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. That was my point but please note the Elites are not the only ones that have attempted to use their positions for personal gains, we have other Board members as well that Skip has had to "rein in" over time. I know this because one of those Directors I mentored this person and on this topic that I will convey, we had numerous face to face and telephonic conversations. This Board member champions Duathlon and in the last several years has successfully produced a Woman's Duathlon event in Colorado. This Board member has also worked hard to promote successfully the Duathlon National Championships in Virginia, where the Sport has really taken off. Both very admirable accomplishments. Trouble is, thru that Board position this Director has also solicited the ED and the Board for direct funding of her event to include free advertising and direct financial support. So here is another Director and not an Elite with an ax to grind with Skip and you will find her name on Dan's list of 7. Once again a Director at the very least has placed themselves in a compromising position.

In the years I was on the Board, whenever an issue or vote involving one of my events came up, I recused myself. Sharron Ackles for years the RD for Ironman Hawaii and a USAT Board members recused herself a number of times as items involving Ironman as they came up. For those Board members who have conflicts, recusing one's self is the norm and the right thing to do. However here is a case again where this Board may have failed in following its own Ethics Code by even permitting the discussion to go on.
Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know if dismissing Skip was on the agenda?

If it wasn't on the agenda (which seems possible due to the fact that some board members were shocked about it), is the decision still legal?

I am not doubting the board has the authority but it doesn't sound like it has gone through a fair open process in line with by laws/proceedures.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From Dans post and yours, the common piece that makes me upset is a few board folks might have agenda's for themselves, rather than the membership, might have found a way to force Skip out. (Whether it was legal, or ethical, is still a question). It is great that Dan has a place like ST that cannot be controlled by the "organizations", and believes in ethics like at least some of us do. I fear many could care less, as with most things in society.

As has been posted, Skip always stood up for ethics and what he believed was best for the membership, not for a single focus in our sport, as you just stated, one persons focus ONLY on duathlon. Scarey if this person really pushed Skip to fund her race. And this is a board member?

USAT boards have proven in the past that some have not followed ethics, let alone their own rules, until the membership forces the issue. Seems like we might have another opportunity.

Now, if Skip comes into this thread and says he was kicked out for legal and ethical reasons, and wants us to ignore why it happened, then we just change the focus. But, it sure seems this board might have ......

Please keep posting your facts. At least this way members of our sport can decided on their own if our elected board has done the correct legal and ethical thing. I would love to be proven wrong, but so far, just does not feel right.

I have always wonder how these type of folks on boards who just try and force their agendas onto others look at themselves in the mirror. I deal with it all the time with my HOA board members.

I wonder if this type of stuff is why Dan resigned from the USAT board. Any comment Dan?

Again, thanks for you posts, and keep them coming.

In Reply To:
Thanks. That was my point but please note the Elites are not the only ones that have attempted to use their positions for personal gains, we have other Board members as well that Skip has had to "rein in" over time. I know this because one of those Directors I mentored this person and on this topic that I will convey, we had numerous face to face and telephonic conversations. This Board member champions Duathlon and in the last several years has successfully produced a Woman's Duathlon event in Colorado. This Board member has also worked hard to promote successfully the Duathlon National Championships in Virginia, where the Sport has really taken off. Both very admirable accomplishments. Trouble is, thru that Board position this Director has also solicited the ED and the Board for direct funding of her event to include free advertising and direct financial support. So here is another Director and not an Elite with an ax to grind with Skip and you will find her name on Dan's list of 7. Once again a Director at the very least has placed themselves in a compromising position.

In the years I was on the Board, whenever an issue or vote involving one of my events came up, I recused myself. Sharron Ackles for years the RD for Ironman Hawaii and a USAT Board members recused herself a number of times as items involving Ironman as they came up. For those Board members who have conflicts, recusing one's self is the norm and the right thing to do. However here is a case again where this Board may have failed in following its own Ethics Code by even permitting the discussion to go on.
Jack

Quote Reply
Re: Official Skip Gilbert thread [Stumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It has been stated it was not on any agenda.

I have asked a board member at my HOA who is BIG with Robert rules about this. He states that if there is an emergency, the requirement can be waived.
So, I am waiting to hear what the "emergency" was.

In Reply To:
Does anyone know if dismissing Skip was on the agenda?

If it wasn't on the agenda (which seems possible due to the fact that some board members were shocked about it), is the decision still legal?

I am not doubting the board has the authority but it doesn't sound like it has gone through a fair open process in line with by laws/proceedures.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To answer your questions, yes this Board member has in the past and expressed to me personally her lack of confidence in Skip over his failure to help her series.

As to your other inquiry, I doubt. if Skip would ever come on and share why he was removed. His termination agreement and his Attorneys would prevent that. But again I was told from sources within USAT that this did stem from "Ethical" violations (which were unfounded and fabricated) and the fact that Skip would not agree in writing to these charges. Interestingly, those leading the charge have had their ethics questioned for their past actions and in at least one instance have been cited for violations. That said this Board is not serving the membership as it was elected to do.
Jack

In Reply To:
From Dans post and yours, the common piece that makes me upset is a few board folks might have agenda's for themselves, rather than the membership, might have found a way to force Skip out. (Whether it was legal, or ethical, is still a question). It is great that Dan has a place like ST that cannot be controlled by the "organizations", and believes in ethics like at least some of us do. I fear many could care less, as with most things in society.

As has been posted, Skip always stood up for ethics and what he believed was best for the membership, not for a single focus in our sport, as you just stated, one persons focus ONLY on duathlon. Scarey if this person really pushed Skip to fund her race. And this is a board member?

USAT boards have proven in the past that some have not followed ethics, let alone their own rules, until the membership forces the issue. Seems like we might have another opportunity.

Now, if Skip comes into this thread and says he was kicked out for legal and ethical reasons, and wants us to ignore why it happened, then we just change the focus. But, it sure seems this board might have ......

Please keep posting your facts. At least this way members of our sport can decided on their own if our elected board has done the correct legal and ethical thing. I would love to be proven wrong, but so far, just does not feel right.

I have always wonder how these type of folks on boards who just try and force their agendas onto others look at themselves in the mirror. I deal with it all the time with my HOA board members.

I wonder if this type of stuff is why Dan resigned from the USAT board. Any comment Dan?

Again, thanks for you posts, and keep them coming.

In Reply To:

Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jack:

At the risk of being accused of trying to get the last word in, having USAT (USTA in '82 until that conflicted with Tennis' name) walk away from the Olympic movement is somewhat foolhardy. In the US, the USOC was empowered by Congress via the Amatuer Sports Act. The act gutted the AAU & tried to halt the battles that took place between the AAU & the NCAA. The act also established that NGBs would govern their respective sports. Tri-Fed received its USOC Group C recognition in the early '90s & then received Group A membership a short time later once triathlon got on the Pan Am & Olympic programs. The Act also creates somewhat of a monopolistic governance structure for NGBs because no rival can exist. To have USAT walk away is fraught with problems & dangers for the sport here in the US. I could envision a legal civil war taking place if such a move was attempted by USAT with the USOC, ITU & IOC wondering what the hell was going on with us. The existing structure is the existing structure. I'm sure you could find other NGBs that don't like having to deal with the "just win baby" attitude that exists within international sport. However, nothing is stopping RDs from working jumping to the AAU or creating their own entity. It just means that certain elites would probably not be able to compete because of those events being non-sanctioned (see Cycling & the draconian rules they have in place for participating in non-sanctioned events).

You are taking a MASSIVE assumption that Ironman is the driving sport for triathlon, particularly in the US. I bet if you looked at the USAT's overall membership, the vast majority do not participate in ultra-distance triathlons. Certainly Slowtwitch membership appears to be Ironman-centric, but Ironman is a brand just like NASCAR.

Once again, these are the tensions that exist within volunteer boards & professional staff. Boards are supposed to think long-term strategy & not vote for their own interests. I fear sometimes that there are RDs & Elite reps that simply want what's best for them (i.e. the world revolves around them).

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
USA Triathlon could be reorganized along the lines of how US Aquatic Sports is arranged. In aquatics, swimming, masters swimming, diving, and water polo are all totally independent.

I think it makes more sense in triathlon since the olympic and elite racing is totally different than what we do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sean,
I almost pulled it off in 2005. It's not a stretch to get this done. USAT simply stops accepting the USOC Funding which is not enough to support the program in the first place. USAT was built based on the Budlight Series and Ironman in the mid 1980's. I know, I was there and competing. There was no ITU or Olympic Sport at that time and I can tell you know one cares or even for the most part recognizes Olympic Gold Medal winners, however we all know Dave Scott, Mark Allen, Paula Newby-Fraser. The Olympics does not drive this sport, age group athletes drive this sport and they all don't sign up because an Olympic hero was on a Wheaties Box, they do it because the consistently see IM events on TV and they want to be a part of it.

The Olympic program should be separate and with this we could shed the Board of 3 athletes reps who have nothing but their own self interest on the table. Their self-interests go to such extent that unless you are an Olympic Pro/Elite you have no representation on the AAC or Board. Olympic Athletes comprise less then 100 members out of 300 total US Pros. That means XTerra and Ironman athletes compose over 60 percent of the Pros yet they have no representation. As an age grouper I am tired of subsidizing an Olympic sport that brings no definite rewards to the sport or age groupers or Race Directors. Working with the ITU as an RD is anything but rewarding, it's expensive, excessive and with little or no payoff.

The Federation with over 135,000 age groupers doesn't need the Olympics to grow, in fact by separating themselves from the Olympic Pro/Elites the Federation would actually gain. Why, because folks who got the "fire in the belly" from watching the Olympics would still start doing sanctioned events without the cost of funding these Olympic folks. So now the Federation gains members without spending over 1 million $$ per year and in fact losing $500,000 in direct support.

Legally this can be done, in 2005 I checked it all out, there are no legal implications. USAT simply divorces itself of the program and moves on, like Swimming, see Kevin MD's response below yours.

Had we not been a part of the USOC, I can with certainty say, Skip would still be our ED as we speak. One of those votes can from the independent chair on the Board who really has no concept of what this sport is about. The other portion came from the ITU seat, although a non-voting member, had immense influence on the vote and put incredible pressure on those to vote the way they did. I know this because of my sources within the Federation. Once again, this Federation was born of need by Race Directors for Race Directors and it's since been hijacked by those who their own personal agenda.

It's really time to take OUR Federation back and insure that those elected are responsible to the 135,000 dues paying members, not the 100 special cases who so far have yielding nothing positive but have brought down one of the most capable ED's we have ever had.

Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jack, question for you. If we assume that Dan gets either no real response from the board, or anything that makes sense, then, if we really want to try and take back our organization, is the only thing left in our power is a recall?
If so, do you know what steps have to be taken to start one on potentially all the board members? I know when I did a recall of the board members in my HOA, I had to walk the streets to get 5% of the members to sign my recall petition. Then I got to stand in front of the membership and be personally attacked from the board members cronies saying I was the worst person in the world asking them to spend our money legally, and not play games in executive sessions behind closed doors.

So, what why was it not pulled off in 2005? Board members again?

In Reply To:
Sean,
I almost pulled it off in 2005. It's not a stretch to get this done. USAT simply stops accepting the USOC Funding which is not enough to support the program in the first place. USAT was built based on the Budlight Series and Ironman in the mid 1980's. I know, I was there and competing. There was no ITU or Olympic Sport at that time and I can tell you know one cares or even for the most part recognizes Olympic Gold Medal winners, however we all know Dave Scott, Mark Allen, Paula Newby-Fraser. The Olympics does not drive this sport, age group athletes drive this sport and they all don't sign up because an Olympic hero was on a Wheaties Box, they do it because the consistently see IM events on TV and they want to be a part of it.

The Olympic program should be separate and with this we could shed the Board of 3 athletes reps who have nothing but their own self interest on the table. Their self-interests go to such extent that unless you are an Olympic Pro/Elite you have no representation on the AAC or Board. Olympic Athletes comprise less then 100 members out of 300 total US Pros. That means XTerra and Ironman athletes compose over 60 percent of the Pros yet they have no representation. As an age grouper I am tired of subsidizing an Olympic sport that brings no definite rewards to the sport or age groupers or Race Directors. Working with the ITU as an RD is anything but rewarding, it's expensive, excessive and with little or no payoff.

The Federation with over 135,000 age groupers doesn't need the Olympics to grow, in fact by separating themselves from the Olympic Pro/Elites the Federation would actually gain. Why, because folks who got the "fire in the belly" from watching the Olympics would still start doing sanctioned events without the cost of funding these Olympic folks. So now the Federation gains members without spending over 1 million $$ per year and in fact losing $500,000 in direct support.

Legally this can be done, in 2005 I checked it all out, there are no legal implications. USAT simply divorces itself of the program and moves on, like Swimming, see Kevin MD's response below yours.

Had we not been a part of the USOC, I can with certainty say, Skip would still be our ED as we speak. One of those votes can from the independent chair on the Board who really has no concept of what this sport is about. The other portion came from the ITU seat, although a non-voting member, had immense influence on the vote and put incredible pressure on those to vote the way they did. I know this because of my sources within the Federation. Once again, this Federation was born of need by Race Directors for Race Directors and it's since been hijacked by those who their own personal agenda.

It's really time to take OUR Federation back and insure that those elected are responsible to the 135,000 dues paying members, not the 100 special cases who so far have yielding nothing positive but have brought down one of the most capable ED's we have ever had.

Jack

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"However, nothing is stopping RDs from working jumping to the AAU or creating their own entity."

Sean,
Looking at your above statement that you made in your last post. It's also a fact that USAT was started by Race Directors for Race Directors in 1982. So taking these two separate statements into account, let's look at the rationale of your above statement. Let's assume that I own a house and you are looking for a place to rent because you need a place to live. I rent you the place and because you're not fully employed I rent you the room at a loss. I actually let you have the room let's say 40 percent market. After a couple of years you start remodeling the room, then you attempt to remodel the house, all without my concurrence or support. Finally I have enough, so I have 2 choices, terminate your rental agreement or I move out. Now as the owner, why would I want to move, no I think the answer here is terminate your lease. That sir is precisely what I am expounding here. It was our Federation first, why should the Race Directors leave, we started it all. It's time for the Pro/elites and the USOC to find another association. The insurance, the sanction process were all developed with Race Directors in mind and please keep in mind that what separates USAT from any other organization in Triathlon is its ability to insure over 3000 events annually at rate that even Ironman could not match (one of the reasons they still sanction). Also a fact, sanctioning and the resultant fees are the biggest single revenue source in the Federation or they were thru 2005 when I was the Treasurer. On the hand the Olympic program is a money loser causing the Federation over 1 million $$ per year. Pretty clear to me, the Olympic Elites need to find another house to rent, their stay is neither productive nor beneficial to the Federation and now they have used their inordinate amount of representation to unfairly bring down an extremely popular and effective ED.

Jack
Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"However, nothing is stopping RDs from working jumping to the AAU or creating their own entity."

Sean,
Looking at your above statement that you made in your last post. It's also a fact that USAT was started by Race Directors for Race Directors in 1982.
Jack

That in itself is a ridiculous concept. Any Federation that is not created by athletes for athletes is an aberration.

Like Mr. Phelps said, if you want a RD association, get one started. If it's such a great concept, I am sure it will succeed and supplant USAT in the process.

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Skip Gilbert thread [Paulo Sousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paulo,
How about reading what I wrote USAT WAS started by Race Directors, that's not a concept it's a FACT!! The number one revenue source is not from the athletes unless you consider the insurance/santioning fees. It's over 4 million $$. Again, please read the post again, I think I was perfectly clear and laid out the actual (not a concept) facts. USAT's number one revenue stream and responsibility is the sanctioning of races and the Board members should be from that background where possible, not elite athletes who vote their own agenda, over and over again.
jack
Last edited by: ironjack: Sep 6, 10 18:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Paulo,
How about reading what I wrote USAT WAS started by Race Directors, are you dislectic or just challenged when reading ????
jack

Do you want to have a civil conversation, or do you want to talk trash? Because I can talk trash too if you want.

USAT WAS started by RD. That's great that someone started a triathlon federation.

But that was back in the day. Right now, it's not, and it shouldn't be, a RD association. If it went back at being a RD association, I'm pretty sure the USOC would take over (again).

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Skip Gilbert thread [Paulo Sousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd love to have a civil conversation, however when you respond like you have never read what I wrote, then it becomes just a bit tedious.
Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not a race director, just an athlete, but I'll give credit where credit is due to the race directors that had the forethought to put together an organization that helped support my desire to race. I'm OK with my dollars going toward insurance and other programs to continue that, but I'm also OK with a few of my dollars going to support the US Olympic triathlon efforts. If it's true that the major revenue stream is from athletes paying annual and one day dues, supplemented with race sanction fees, then I hope there's a way for everyone to get along.
Quote Reply

Prev Next