Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Official Return of the UNofficial B2B/IMNC practice swim
Quote | Reply
Howdy everyone. It is that time of year again here in lovely Wilmington NC. Which means I will be trying to organize a practice swim for the IMNC Beach 2 Battleship. I checked the itinerary for the race and it looks like the organizers have nothing planned. So your boy is grabbing this situation by the horns.

This year we will have a boat and several paddle boarders on scene for everyone's safety. As well as first aid equipment.

For the 2016 edition of the OUB2BIMNCPS (Official unofficial beach 2 battleship ironman north carolina practice swim) we will be starting at the coast guard station and swimming to the Blockade Runner hotel, which should amount to a mile with an assist from the current. This is a bit easier from a logistics standpoint. I am also working with the hotel to have coffee, snacks, etc. available once we finish. Myself and some other locals will be available afterward to answer any questions you may have about the race or anything else race related.

It will be that Friday before but the time is to still be determined. 99.9% chance it will be early in the morning. 7ish

Please respond on here (this thread) and let me know if you are interested.

Quote Reply
Re: Official Return of the UNofficial B2B/IMNC practice swim [Turd Ferguson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am definitely interested. I have plenty of OWS practice, but I live in land, and salt water and currents mess with me a bit. I was planning on getting use to things on Thursday, but I would love to do a Friday swim as well.

Plus, I will take any and all useful race info that I can get. Don't tell my husband, but I even volunteer him to shuttle a couple people back after the swim.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Return of the UNofficial B2B/IMNC practice swim [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
happyscientist wrote:
Don't tell my husband, but I even volunteer him to shuttle a couple people back after the swim.

Thanks for your interest. Your secret is safe with me.

Check back in on the thread for updates

Quote Reply
Re: Official Return of the UNofficial B2B/IMNC practice swim [Turd Ferguson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm interested. Are you racing, Patrick, or just stirring up trouble?

With tidal prediction of a 7:50am low tide that should make for a relatively slow swim, correct? for those that haven't done this, swim will vary quite a bit with tides. I was 57:00 in 2010 and 43:00 in 2012. I'm thinking we'll be closer to 2010 times this year...

Mark Carey
Quote Reply
Re: Official Return of the UNofficial B2B/IMNC practice swim [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+2 for me and a buddy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in
Quote Reply
Re: Official Return of the UNofficial B2B/IMNC practice swim [MCHammers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MCHammers wrote:

With tidal prediction of a 7:50am low tide that should make for a relatively slow swim, correct? for those that haven't done this, swim will vary quite a bit with tides. I was 57:00 in 2010 and 43:00 in 2012. I'm thinking we'll be closer to 2010 times this year...

Yes, much closer to 2010 or 2013 swim splits this year, as any current will be weak. The main advantage compared to 2010 will be much more reasonable water temps. Starting at 7am on Friday should fairly closely duplicate race conditions (well, 8am Sat) as the tide "walks" by about an hour each day.

Coast Guard to Blockade Runner is more on the order of 1.3 or 1.4 miles, but relatively safe if you stay by the docks. Don't try to swim too far out in the middle of the channel aside from race day, even with kayak support.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in with possibly a couple more.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Return of the UNofficial B2B/IMNC practice swim [beastofbourbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You mention the water temps should be reasonable for the "new" B2B this year - I'm curious as to what the temps have been for the past couple years - Anyone know a rough range?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Return of the UNofficial B2B/IMNC practice swim [cestmoi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cestmoi wrote:
You mention the water temps should be reasonable for the "new" B2B this year - I'm curious as to what the temps have been for the past couple years - Anyone know a rough range?

Expect water temps in the lower 70s. That's been the case since 2012, when they moved the race earlier into October. The first 3 years, they were in November, and had water temps in the lower/mid 60s, which led to Setup's "wetsuit mandatory" status. The in-between year was 2011, when they held the race on the 29th of October, and while the water temp was in the upper 60s, the current was so strong you could about do the swim without really getting wet!

As some of the future race dates drift toward mid-October, there will be some years that it's a close call, or maybe not even wetsuit legal.
Last edited by: beastofbourbon: Sep 10, 16 8:47
Quote Reply
Re: Official Return of the UNofficial B2B/IMNC practice swim [MCHammers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MCHammers wrote:

Mark Carey

No racing for me just raising some hell. I think the Wilmington Fire Department (my employer) is going to have an aid station on the run course. (Maybe)

Someone else answered about the tides/swim times and I would agree with them 100%. Expect times to be closer to your 2010 times. Should be going out for the first few minutes of the swim, then pretty slack for a while, and help you out for the last bit of the full. The half on the other hand should have pretty good assistance throughout.

If anyone needs me on the swim I'll be working as a medic on one of the boats. Hope to see none of you in that capacity

Quote Reply
Re: Official Return of the UNofficial B2B/IMNC practice swim [beastofbourbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beastofbourbon wrote:
MCHammers wrote:

Yes, much closer to 2010 or 2013 swim splits this year, as any current will be weak. The main advantage compared to 2010 will be much more reasonable water temps. Starting at 7am on Friday should fairly closely duplicate race conditions (well, 8am Sat) as the tide "walks" by about an hour each day.

Coast Guard to Blockade Runner is more on the order of 1.3 or 1.4 miles, but relatively safe if you stay by the docks. Don't try to swim too far out in the middle of the channel aside from race day, even with kayak support.

This right here will be the theme of the practice swim. Stay near the docks. Safety first

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for starting this thread as I start to look at the "new B2B" as my first long distance tri in 2017. I'm trying to get as much knowledge on each course before deciding on venue.

Hit 'em with the Hein!
--

Straightenin' the curves; Flattenin' the hills
------------------------------------------------------------
Coached by Mike Plumb @ TriPower MultiSports
https://www.strava.com/athletes/1149072 - https://www.instagram.com/thoswoods/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How long does it take to get everyone in the water ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm only doing the measly 70.3 but still interested in the a practice swim if you big timers will have me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. Thanks for organizing this.

Don't drown. Don't crash. Don't walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Might also want to post this info to official ironman nc facebook https://www.facebook.com/IM703NC/?fref=ts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in, might have a couple more who tag along as well. thanks for setting it up.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Return of the UNofficial B2B/IMNC practice swim [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriTamp wrote:
I'm only doing the measly 70.3 but still interested in the a practice swim if you big timers will have me.

I am a slow swimmer, so I hope everyone just puts up with me. Of course, I picked this as my first IM because of the reputation the swim has.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in and my training partner. Thanks!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Return of the UNofficial B2B/IMNC practice swim [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
happyscientist wrote:
TriTamp wrote:

I am a slow swimmer, so I hope everyone just puts up with me. Of course, I picked this as my first IM because of the reputation the swim has.

I'm a slow swimmer as well. IM Chattanooga has a nice swim. Tougher run though.
Last edited by: TriTamp: Oct 1, 16 6:56
Quote Reply
Re: Official Return of the UNofficial B2B/IMNC practice swim [rmg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rmg wrote:
How long does it take to get everyone in the water ?

I don't think we'll know until we see how it's setup, it was always a mass start in the past. But with 1500 racers and a 90 degree right turn right away they shouldn't let too many go at once. At least that's how the course was setup in the past.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If we can assume that it will take 20' or more and tide information is accurate, might make more sense to approach the start leisurely (as long as the bike course won't be too congested getting out of T1)
Quote Reply
Re: Official Return of the UNofficial B2B/IMNC practice swim [rmg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What does that mean exactly for the swim/tide situation? Will there be a current for the 140.6?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Return of the UNofficial B2B/IMNC practice swim [FluxCapacitor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My take is that if low tide is at 750am, the current will be heading out or essentially non existent when we start at 720, then shift to an incoming tide thereafter with a current assist in the last part of the swim. The 70.3 should have assist throughout. Locals might be able to better quantify things in terms of strength of expected currents.
Quote Reply

Prev Next