Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Official All-new Speed Concept 9 Owners Thread
Quote | Reply
With such significant changes to the SC 9 series I thihk it's a good idea to create a new thread to help keep things from getting confused and give owners a place to focus on their specific model. Just about nothing on the new SC9 is compatible with the original so how about we try to keep the discussions seperate?
Quote Reply
Re: Official All-new Speed Concept 9 Owners Thread [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

Ordered a size large P1 Spartacus Swiss edition triathlon package with S-bend extension but lead time is 105 days...

Then will move my 2011 P1 K-Swiss's Di2 9070, Zipp FS 808 and DA9000SRM to new frame.

Looking forward...
Quote Reply
Re: Official All-new Speed Concept 9 Owners Thread [pkent] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll ever move to the new model. They took away so much of the adjustability in the cockpit that I use - no width adjustment to the extensions, no tilt for the extensions, , no rotation of the extensions, no canting of the arm pads. If I found one locally I'd be interested in seeing how close I can get to my current position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TH3_FRB wrote:
Nice. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll ever move to the new model. They took away so much of the adjustability in the cockpit that I use - no width adjustment to the extensions, no tilt for the extensions, , no rotation of the extensions, no canting of the arm pads. If I found one locally I'd be interested in seeing how close I can get to my current position.

^^^^This. I was in search of a new bike in late May and talked to the Trek guys about the new SC, when it would come out, what it offered etc. They told me it would be out late July so all I had to do was wait 2 months, but with what it offered and the ridiculous price I got my Project One 9 Series at I was happy to stay with the original SC.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TH3_FRB wrote:

How do you adjust the width of your extensions on the older 9 series?

And the new 7/9 series does allow for tilting of extensions. And I'm pretty sure canting of arm pads.

But yes, you're right. No rotation of extensions. Which I think could have been easily solved for by introducing a collet type system seen on the aduro and older easton bars.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: Official All-new Speed Concept 9 Owners Thread [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The rotation of extensions is probably a non-start for me. Though I am going to be switching to ski bends soon, so maybe that woudl change.

Then there's the fact that like Ben - I have a frame that is only about 6 weeks old right now.
Quote Reply
Re: Official All-new Speed Concept 9 Owners Thread [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in the same boat/have the same feelings. I'm really not sure how I feel about not having extension rotation adjustments. I actually was able to check out a new 9 series in person last weekend and it just seemed like a much larger gap between the extensions, because of the lack of rotation, then I'd like.

And also like you, my current 9 series is basically brand new.

But of course, I like new and shiny. Thinking about just throwing on Di2 on the current ride and calling it a day.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rotating the extensions changes the effective width of the hands with my s-bend extensions...so I guess that can't be a seperate complaint from the lack of rotation.

How does the new 9 series allow you to tilt the extensions? It looks like a one-piece pedastool direct mounted to the base bar?

arm pads can't really be canted like they can on the original. The P-clamps can be rotated on the extension up or down without changing the location of the pad. On the new SC9 you can use different sets of holes in the pads that might have them sit at a bit differently but it's definitely not as adjustable.

wsrobert wrote:
TH3_FRB wrote:

How do you adjust the width of your extensions on the older 9 series?

And the new 7/9 series does allow for tilting of extensions. And I'm pretty sure canting of arm pads.

But yes, you're right. No rotation of extensions. Which I think could have been easily solved for by introducing a collet type system seen on the aduro and older easton bars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure how it works exactly, but check out the front page article where Joe Gambles is getting fit. I'm pretty sure it shows his extensions tilted a bit. Regardless, I know its possible/has been detailed somewhere.

Ah. Right. Canted in the vertical plane. I was thinking the horizontal plane. Yeah, doesnt appear to be adjustment vertically.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: Official All-new Speed Concept 9 Owners Thread [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess we'll see what shakes out I guess.

I did just drop a wad of cash on new cranks, and the aforementioned frame, so I need to hold off on any new purchases for a while.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a piece between the mono-spacer (aka pedestal) and the mono-extension which is called the pivot cradle. It operates similarly to a 2-bolt seatpost head: one bolt (rear in this case) sets the angle, the other one is then tightened to lock in your desired angle. We've added a setscrew behind them which you drive down onto the top face of the monospacer for additional security (i.e. can't rock back). There are a few degrees of forward (downward) rotation and about 15deg upward. if you don't want or need that capability, you can leave the pivot cradle out and save a few grams plus it'll drop your pads another 3mm or so.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official All-new Speed Concept 9 Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Carl - good to know. The tilt up of my hands is one of the more important adjustments to me. The other being the canting down of the cups. It may just work out that I would be able to hit my comfort zone but it's unfortunate that some of the adjustability is lost regardless. I assume it was a necessary evil in order to achieve the cleaner cockpit.
Last edited by: TH3_FRB: Aug 15, 13 18:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine came in today, will post pictures as soon as I get it built and post updates. The cockpit is killer clean!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,

I'm about upgrade my bike and put my order for the new SC. Some questions about stem and extensions please.

1) Is the old stem 60/45 stem completely equivalent to the new medium/near stem? or it's 75mm upper or down as I saw on the white paper?
As the brake levers are now closer to the rider by 30mm should I pick the medium/far stem to keep the brake levers where I'm used to?

2) How many mono-spacers (to rise the extensions) are coming with the bike and what sizes do they have?

3) What's the length difference with between the mono-extensions Ergo Long and Short?
My arm size is 32mm from elbow to mid-hand, which one should I choose?

Thanks
Last edited by: sithlord31: Aug 20, 13 11:07
Quote Reply
Post deleted by sithlord31 [ In reply to ]
Re: Official All-new Speed Concept 9 Owners Thread [sithlord31] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) As a general theme, the six stems do the same thing on the new bike as the old...they fill in the space between the bar and the frame in big chunks...but the measurements are different. If you're coming from the old 9-series to the new one (or the new 7 with the 9-series cockpit), as a rule of thumb you can assume the stems are comparable.

As you note, one of the front end changes (which is actually built into the bar design, not the stems) is less reach to the brake levers for - again, roughly - equivalent stem sizes. There's enough overlap in the reach range between nears and fars that you could certainly run the med-far to put the levers out "where you're used to" and still hit your desired pad position. One of the criticisms of the old bike was that for any given stem the bar reach was too much, though, so you may be used to your current brake position...but you may find bringing them (and your basebar "rest" position) back 30mm actually feels better.

2) four of them come with the bike, 10mm increments from 15mm to 45mm, plus a 5mm spacer for the pad wing, to give you 5mm increments all the way up

3) 40mm. I think you mean 320mm elbow to mid-hand? you could probably use the short ergo, but to be sure, measure your current fit from mid-pad to where the shifter goes in...if that's 370mm or less, you can use the short.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome Carl!... Thanks a lot, I'm ready to place my order ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Official All-new Speed Concept 9 Owners Thread [sithlord31] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl, I'm about to order a new speed concept 9 frame set. I currently have a 100/45 stem on a small frame with the tri rig clamps giving approx approx 10mm height to the pads. Please can you advise on a comparable stem with my current set up?
Ps - can you post the sizing chart on this website. Apologies if it has already been posted - I couldn't see it. Cheers, Neil
Quote Reply
Re: Official All-new Speed Concept 9 Owners Thread [mendne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't post documents here, sorry.

Not 100% sure what you mean by "giving 10mm height to the pads"...but with stock hardware a Small with 100/45 has a minimum pad stack of 595mm and the TriRig clamps can knock about 30mm off of that...so let's say you're currently at about 565mm.

A new SC in Small frame size can hit that pad stack with either the low-near or low-far stems. Since the new stems are roughly identical to the old ones in their function, I'll say you'd probably need the low-far in order to hit your desired pad reach (which you didn't specify).

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official All-new Speed Concept 9 Owners Thread [DirtyKolache] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We're waiting :)

DirtyKolache wrote:
Mine came in today, will post pictures as soon as I get it built and post updates. The cockpit is killer clean!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When will we see pics of the new 7 series? Just curious.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that's my plan. I have the R2C shifters which look cool, but have broken twice in not many miles.

Brian
“Eat and Drink, spin the legs and you’re going to effin push (today).” A Howe
Quote Reply
Re: Official All-new Speed Concept 9 Owners Thread [LMBT_40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Carl!! :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha I know I know. Got the wrong "stem" so having to wait for that to come in. Also I will be at Hotter 'N Hell all weekend long so we are looking at next week more than likely. She is pretty though, the stock black bike looks much better in person than on paper.
Quote Reply

Prev Next