Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Official 2017 Giro d'Italia Thread (Fantasy Team Details Included)
Quote | Reply
Who's in for some fantasy cycling?

Lots of big names on the start list.

Let the GT games begin!

First, make a team: https://www.velogames.com/...a/2017/entryform.php

Then, join the mini league using the following information:

League Name: Slowtwitch
League Code: 860119410110
Quote Reply
Re: Official 2017 Giro d'Italia Thread (Fantasy Team Details Included) [nickvas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bumping this up for the last chance to join the league!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 2017 Giro d'Italia Thread (Fantasy Team Details Included) [nickvas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let's have a daily thread discussing the day's events like we did for the Tour and the Vuelta. It's much more interactive that way and creates more excitement on the specifics of the stage. A single thread and you don't really get the same interaction. Where is Power13 for the daily prognosis etc?
Quote Reply
Re: Official 2017 Giro d'Italia Thread (Fantasy Team Details Included) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Curious what people think Tom Dumoulin will be able to do here. Lots of climbing in this year's race, but enough TT to claw back time maybe. His TT'ing has seemed weaker so far this year...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Team Chamois Whammy has joined the fray!!

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nickvas wrote:
Curious what people think Tom Dumoulin will be able to do here. Lots of climbing in this year's race, but enough TT to claw back time maybe. His TT'ing has seemed weaker so far this year...

I have no idea what Doumoulin will do, but being on less form earlier in the year is not a terrible thing. I am worried that Quintana's form has been too good already this year and it's going to be impossible to keep getting better and better right through the last week of May and repeat that into the third week of July
Quote Reply
Re: Official 2017 Giro d'Italia Thread (Fantasy Team Details Included) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in.

The Stelvio pass.
100 beers for the heaviest rider to make it http://www.cyclingweekly.com/...#ewQ3oIlGeoDF92xi.99

res, non verba
Last edited by: RoYe: May 4, 17 17:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. Best value for money has to be Jungles at 10pts, and Richeze at 6!

Last edited by: timbasile: May 4, 17 19:42
Quote Reply
Re: Official 2017 Giro d'Italia Thread (Fantasy Team Details Included) [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
honestly, I found Landa at 16 pts to be a pretty good deal. Potential to podium (which he's done before) combined with strong stage hunting ability if things go wrong and he loses a bunch of time. Or he could do GC and stage wins :)

Jungels struck me as a rider who was suited for the parcour last year. We'll see if this year's Giro suits him as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To me Landa will either come 2nd or 3rd or will be relegated to domestique duty if Thomas is stronger. (So all or nothing) I doubt they release him for stage wins.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 2017 Giro d'Italia Thread (Fantasy Team Details Included) [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I came 4th in the Slowtwitch league. Not bad. If only I'd picked Gaviria!
Last edited by: Ai_1: May 28, 17 15:04
Quote Reply
Re: Official 2017 Giro d'Italia Thread (Fantasy Team Details Included) [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was gonna pick Gaviria but selected Ewan instead, Doh!
SO Choked my guy Geraint Thomas got taken out by that F***in motocop, and Rohan Dennis crashed out too.

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Re: Official 2017 Giro d'Italia Thread (Fantasy Team Details Included) [RoYe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I picked Ewan as well.
But I also had Dumoullin and Quintana, so that helped.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 2017 Giro d'Italia Thread (Fantasy Team Details Included) [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a reasonably decent team (Quintana, Pinot, Yates, Formolo, Greipel, and TJVG among others) but ended up MOP. Some clever folks are out there!

On to the TDF.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for putting this league together. I had fun picking my team and watching them score as the Giro went on. Most importantly, I didn't think I'd actually win the league!

As inevitable as Dumoulin's win was for the past few days, I think it was a high risk / reward sceario for this type of league. He was either going to be first or crack completely and come 7th, much as with the 2015 Vuelta.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a problem! Stay tuned for the TdF version in about a month!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 2017 Giro d'Italia Thread (Fantasy Team Details Included) [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
I had a reasonably decent team (Quintana, Pinot, Yates, Formolo, Greipel, and TJVG among others) but ended up MOP. Some clever folks are out there!

On to the TDF.

At the risk of giving the strategy away, mine was to pick sure bets or what I viewed as undervalued. Therefore Pinot was a better pick than Quintana - He's likely to get fewer points, but you can almost buy 2x Pinots for the price of a Quintana. Greipel was also viewed as a sure pick for me since he's usually good for a win or two, but in retrospect Gavira would have been the better pick.

TDF is going to be interesting since the only sure bets are the ones who are going to be also the most expensive: Froome and Sagan. Among the other bigs, Contador is probably good for a podium, but will be likely overpriced.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nah, you got lucky!
Quote Reply