Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Off Days
Quote | Reply
I have a question about off days.
I am currently working out 8-10 hours a week.
I don't really take days off. I segregate run/bike and swim/upper body weights in my head. Yesterday I took off from run/bike but did some upper body strength stuff.
A few tri friends have suggested that I need one day a week completely off. I certainly could do this, but with things in my life like they are now, I'm doing bike/run 6 days a week, and then swim 2/week, and upper body str 2/week. I make sure to do swim and/or upper body str on my day when I don't run/bike. Is this a good strategy for workouts? Or should I really have one day a week off from all types of workouts?
I hope my question makes sense!
Quote Reply
Re: Off Days [SpeedNeeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Certainly don't need a full off day every week. Depending on the training you're doing and how you're recovering from it, you might need a day every week or 2 where you still train but take it fairly easy. E.g. Just train at recovery pace. An easy paced run/ride/swim actually helps you recover better than not doing anything at all.

I tend to listen to my body, and take an easy day when I feel I need one. Had one yesterday as it happens, did 40 minutes of cycling at an easy past and a bit of stretching, then made sure I got >8 hours sleep. That's the first time in a month that I felt I needed to do that though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me, I found that taking at least one day fully off definitely helps. I used to never take days off and eventually I got to a point where I always felt run down, even after an ''easy" day. Suiting up and riding/running, even on easy days, can take its toll. Once I started taking at least one full day off, I immediately felt fresher...both mentally and physically. But everyone's body is different and some respond better to no days off, where others need a day off.

You should definitely at least give it a try, after all, that is the only way to know how a rest day will work for you.

If you feel worse, you can always go back to 7 days a week!
Quote Reply
Re: Off Days [daveonbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
daveonbike wrote:
For me, I found that taking at least one day fully off definitely helps. I used to never take days off and eventually I got to a point where I always felt run down, even after an ''easy" day. Suiting up and riding/running, even on easy days, can take its toll. Once I started taking at least one full day off, I immediately felt fresher...both mentally and physically. But everyone's body is different and some respond better to no days off, where others need a day off.

You should definitely at least give it a try, after all, that is the only way to know how a rest day will work for you.

If you feel worse, you can always go back to 7 days a week!

I second this. I've stopped doing much at all in zone 2, so one full day off gives my (40YO) body time to recover and actually realize the gains from interval workouts. I tried to skip days off early this summer, and paid the price with accumulated fatigue (exacerbated by work stress) at my last race. Though I had the fitness and several factors in my favor on race day, I was too worn down mentally to accept the suffering that I often relished in training.

I train about the same amount as you, OP, more when peaking for a race.

One loophole for you might be doing some leg-free days when you swim only with a pull buoy. You can get some distance and strength work in, and it mimics the buoyancy of a wetsuit swim.

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: Off Days [scofflaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scofflaw wrote:
One loophole for you might be doing some leg-free days when you swim only with a pull buoy.

This goes right to the crux of my question - do you really need days completely off? I totally get that my legs need a day off every week or so, but can you do other things that day? I don't think of swimming normally as a leg exercise, and you might agree if you saw my kick ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I take at least every other Monday off. I make my coach give me pretty much every Monday off, unless peaking/tapering for a race, then if I feel like doing something easy then I just add it in and put it in my log. I need the day off just as much for mental reasons as physical. I do oly's and sprints, so I spend a lot of time training at faster paces and intervals. Not having my alarm go off at 5am and dragging my butt out of bed to go dig deep and get through a VO2max, or whatever other sadistic workout I might get handed, is a nice break. Plus then I don't feel too bad about having a drink or two (or three) on Sunday afternoon. Monday after work I either get a massage (every other week) or go for an easy swim or bike ride if the weather is nice. By easy I mean zero structure, I try to keep it in zone 1&2 but I still get a little frisky sometimes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on the time of year for me.

I'm fine without a day off UNTIL my workouts get serious for ironman -- if I have 5-6 hour rides and 2-3 hour runs every week, i'm gassed -- i need that day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm getting older (62), so I need to manage my rest and recovery more closely these days. I don't schedule days off, but it usually works out that either work, family, or weather issues cause me to miss at least one day per week.

Races and high-intensity workouts are the thing that really wipe me out. I took a couple of days off after my last race just because I felt I didn't have any gas left in the tank. Even if I do take a day off training, I try to take a 1-2 mile walk.

Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I enjoy having one day a week completely off. But what that really means is that nothing is on the schedule for that day. I may very well end up doing something physical but I don't "have" to do anything. This helps me out a lot because I do the bulk of my training early in the morning. Having one day a week where I can stay up a little later and sleep in a little more is vital for me. If not physically, mentally. If I put something on my schedule and then don't do it, I feel like a fat slacker all day and I'm mad at myself. But if nothing is on my schedule and I can decide to do whatever I want or nothing. My activity on that day (Sunday) is usually geared toward my kids though. Jumping on the trampoline, chasing them around the yard, throwing the Frisbee/football, etc. I definitely don't just sit on the couch and drink beer. Although, throwing a day like that in the mix about every 6 months might help too.

The best pace is a suicide pace, and today is a good day to die. -Steve Prefontaine
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I train 12ish hours a week and the last total off day for me was June 5. Taking every 7th day off is highly arbitrary.
If you're not hurt, not too tired, still enjoying what you're doing, and getting faster, keep doing what you're doing.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Off Days [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree there is no magic in the number 7.
This discussion started for me when on day 11 in a row of run and/or bike workouts, I had a very tired and slow bike ride, struggled to get into z2 HR. So I probably should take off at least every 11 days ;)
It was odd. before my ride I felt fine, but shortly after I got goin I was definitely feeling very fatigued.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would say it depends on what kind of work load you are used to. My peak weeks in the last few years have been north of 20 hours so when I am in the 8-10 hour range I don't feel I need to day a scheduled day off. Some of them will happen. Once I get in the 14-15 hour per week range I feel I need to schedule a day off to make sure it happens. One persons 8-10 could be another's 14-15. Listen to your body. I just crossed over to scheduling a rest day as I ramp up mileage for a fall marathon while still training for an end of summer HIM.
Quote Reply
Re: Off Days [Stelvio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good points.
Thanks
Quote Reply