Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ocean swimming and indigestion
Quote | Reply
If I spend any extended periods of time in the ocean swimming or scuba/freediving, I get indigestion. At least I think it is indigestion. It's almost as if the saltwater is irritating my asophogus. I know that I'm not swallowing significant amounts of water, but there is obviously saltwater getting into me. Actually, I find it is worst when I am snorkeling for extended periods of time. I think I'm inhaling salt as the water evaporates when breathing through my snorkel.

I'll be going to Cuba for a wedding/vacation in November and plan to do as much open water swimming as I can, but I don't want to deal with this indigestion issue. Has anyone exprienced this who may have suggestions for treatment? I have tried Tums on previous vacations south but they didn't seem to work.
The discomfort doesn't really bother me to the point of affecting my activity, but it's a pain when it comes time to take advantage of the all you can eat buffets. :-)

Thanks for the help.
Quote Reply
Re: Ocean swimming and indigestion [Jason B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You may not like the taste of it but "Ginger" might be your answer. Take it before you go out.
You can get sugar coated ginger if you don't like the taste or look up a ginger tea recipes and use ginger roote. This has helped me.
Quote Reply
Re: Ocean swimming and indigestion [Jason B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd suspect that you are swallowing water, even if only a few drops at a time thru your snorkel. I'm also an avid snorkeler/diver and really don't have an answer for you since I've never experienced this except one time when I accidently swallowed a big mouthful of sea water.

Will you be diving in Cuba? It's my favorite dive destination.
Quote Reply
Re: Ocean swimming and indigestion [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Guys. I'll give the ginger a try. I know it is helpful for sea sickness, but never heard of it for indigestion (or whatever it is I'm experiencing).

Cerveloguy, yeah, I'll definitley be diving. Actually, we'll probably be doing more freediving than scuba. We know a few spearfishermen that live in Cuba and will be taking us to some dive locations. Apparently one of the reefs we'll be going to is about 100 feet deep with a slope up to about 40 feet, so it is essentially a graded wall. Apparently it is heavily populated with turtles and eels. It'll be a great location for freediving and checking out some sea life.

Jason
Quote Reply