Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Oakley Radar Path EV or Jawbreaker
Quote | Reply
Hi people. I need some new glasses to train and race in (doing IM UK this year)

I wondered if anyone had used the new radar path or jawbreaker and could advise which would be better for the TT bike leg and then the run after?

Need something that doesn't obscure the view when in TT mode and stays secure on the run...

Thanks in advance
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley Radar Path EV or Jawbreaker [Unstoppable17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the previous generation Oakley Radars and I love them. The Jawbreaker is cycling specific sunglasses but I'm sure it would be fine on the run. I'd go with the Radars

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley Radar Path EV or Jawbreaker [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks - what do you think of the radars when in TT position? Happy with them?
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love them. I used to wear Rudy Project sunglasses and the Oakleys are MUCH better.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am an Oakley fanatic of sorts... I have a pretty diverse set for riding and I have to say I was VERY impressed with the new Jawbreakers. They are now high on the rotation with Radar XL's and M Frames as the shade of choice.

XL's and Jawbreakers have been great in an aggressive tt position.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley Radar Path EV or Jawbreaker [leegoocrap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that. Have you run in the JB yet?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only a short run at the beach last week, they were pretty nice. Being able to adjust the length of the arms is pretty nice for the "right" fit.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay Oakley peeps, if these glasses are dropped are they less likely to scratch lenses or break in half? Or is the high price tag just paying for the brand and maybe the optical clarity?
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley Radar Path EV or Jawbreaker [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am a self-admitted Oakley slut....you slap a on ovalized "O" on something and I almost instantly want it. So to answer your question, I'll cop to the fact that some of the price tag is paying for the brand, but the quality of the optics really is outstanding.

That said, for a TT position, I would look at Radar XL's or the JawBreakers. My normal Radar frames can get in my line of sight when in TT. Not horrible, but the XL's are clearly better (pun intended). My understanding is that the JawBreakers give you a similar field of vision.

Unfortunately, they may be too wide for my face.....need to check 'em out with my helmet(s) first. And I would suggest that anyone considering riding glasses always do that....interface between the helmet and glasses is pretty critical. What loooks / feels good on the sales floor can be very different once you have a helmet on.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Replacement lenses are around $80 I think. Not too bad

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have just ordered the Radar EV.

28 individual pieces, the looks and the cycling specific nature of the Jawbreaker put me off.

As I understand it the Radar EV addresse the TT position issues of the original version. If you look at pictures you will see that the lens is taller between the nose piece and the top of the frame, more like the Radarlock XL.

I'm currently using a set of Radarlock XL glasses and was looking to get another but Oakley are no longer offering a polarised iridium lens in the Radarlock XL.

Due to travel commitments I won't get them for a week, but happy to report back in comparison to the XLs which I think are excellent.
Last edited by: GregW: May 31, 15 15:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i've got the jawbreakers and love them. have the radars, too, but the thin arms of the JB are better for helmets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
Okay Oakley peeps, if these glasses are dropped are they less likely to scratch lenses or break in half? Or is the high price tag just paying for the brand and maybe the optical clarity?

i'm an oakley fan. for full disclosure i get them at cost though a bit of a sponsorship deal, but i could also get other brands at cost, and i choose to use oakleys.

i just got a set of jawbreakers but have also been a fan of the racking jackets and the radalock XL (for TT when a visor is not available). the fit probably isn't for everyone (i have a narrow face, so that means it is probably not for me!)--but the field of vision is great, esp with the head turtled.

the sixth isn't a huge deal with a standard road helmet, but i'm not sure they'll fit under my (narrow) specialized TT helmet (maclaren).

as for price--IME (with glasses & ski goggles), oakley lenses are highly susceptible to scratches. however, the optical quality is better than other brands. you are paying for the fashion and the optics, not any longevity of the coatings or lenses. YMMV.

hope that helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you drop iridium lenses, they can scratch quite quickly. D also keep them in a case when not in use, or go non-iridium.

I used to flog Oakleys and went through a lot of th Oakley sales videos... The impact tests on lenses would make me wince. I've stuck to Oakley since. Maybe just marketing, but it was damn impressive.

Off the bike, Persol all the way.
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley Radar Path EV or Jawbreaker [JerseyBigfoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the older radar path Xl, they fit really well with my tt helmet

Formely stef32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unstoppable17 wrote:
Hi people. I need some new glasses to train and race in (doing IM UK this year)

I wondered if anyone had used the new radar path or jawbreaker and could advise which would be better for the TT bike leg and then the run after?

Need something that doesn't obscure the view when in TT mode and stays secure on the run...

Thanks in advance

As a roadie i have had issue with many sunglasses falling off in sprints or obscuring my position in TT's, the jawbreaker was the answer. It is the best all around pair of sunglasses i have ever worn. The smith optics spivlock (i think i spelled that right) is a close second for field of view/comfort. The radar path are the most rock solid glasses out there, they do not move at all, but they also have a much smaller field of vision. Radar path are more comfortable for running as well. The Jawbreaker is pretty substantial in size but the adjustable fit and different nose pieces can really tune the fit. FYI i have absolutely no relationship with Oakley, been using tifosi for 5 years now and decided to make a switch this season and it was a good choice. I ended up going with the polarized red iridium and it was a good choice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As the poster above said, Smiths are pretty damn amazing for TT riding (no frame at all beats a tall frame...) and they weigh nothing, which is great on the run. Come with three lenses which is pretty useful, especially if you're riding in typical UK weather...

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saw this thread and just lost my oakleys and need a replacement. Can anyone comment on whether the Jawbreaker is comfortable on the run? Do they stay in place on the run? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently dealt with this EXACT SAME DILEMMA.

The answer?

Jawbreakers, by an absolute mile.

I tried the Radar Path EV and the Jawbreakers, both with the Prizm lenses. Both had good lenses, and both stayed on during the run.

But when in the TT position (or getting low on a road bike), the Jawbreakers give me a completely unobstructed forward view, while frame of the Radar Path EV gets in the way.

Game over.
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley Radar Path EV or Jawbreaker [Moteix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a pair of brand new Oakley Jawbreaker Prizm Road Canvendish Edition for $185 shipped if you're interested.

http://www.oakley.com/...oduct/W0OO9290PZRDMC
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley Radar Path EV or Jawbreaker [AforEffort] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Appreciate the reply. Seems like all of the reviews for the Jawbreaker are for cycling. Could not find any commentary on how they are for the run part.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have Jawbreakers and like them very much. The are comfortable, don't move and have great field of vision. I have worn them both cycling and running, no complaints about them doing either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have both radar prizm & jawbreaker, my last IM I use the jawbreaker on the run, like them very much, both models are great

Yet another slowtwitcher..
Last edited by: johan2kona: Jan 19, 16 7:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Radar EV and Jawbreaker. If you plan to run off the bike then the way to go is the Radar EV. The Jawbreaker is purely for cycling, I have run in them but they are not nearly as comfortable as the Radar EV. However, both pairs are great and it may come down to personal preference, but for Tris, I think the Radar EV is the way to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have both. they are both pretty comfy. I use the radars more on mountain biking and trail runs, and the jawbreaker for road stuff. the jawbreaker seems to sit tighter and not let as much air in, as i think the Radars do.
Quote Reply

Prev Next