Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

OT; computer restore
Quote | Reply
I have had some funny things going on on my machine. Spybot and such are not finding it. I am thinking doing a restore might be my best option. Whats the easiest way to save the stuff i want to transfer? IE:photos documents, game files and favorites?

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Re: OT; computer restore [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get an external usb hard drive...

I've had good luck with this company in the past - great prices. http://www.basoncomputer.com/category.aspx?id=2036

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depending on how much data you have, you might be able to save your important things to a CD. Although a USB hard drive is something you can't go wrong on.

Before restoring, try some of the other anti-spyware programs like counterspy or pest patrol. The newer programs do a whole lot more than spy-bot. I always use a combination of anti-spyware utilities before wiping the system and doing a restore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might try Microsofts Anti Spy Ware too. It's free but only ok.

Flattening your machine is a good way to get rid of everything. If you do that make sure you have a good firewall going. That helps a lot. I use a hardware firewall and on the machines where the users aren't sharp I use a software one too.

For saving critical stuff I prefer burning to using a USB drive but I generally use both as I've found that being paranoid is always a good thing. Another idea (which I've done) is to buy a new hard drive and format that one as your primary and just install your current one as secondary. All your stuff is there and no spyware is booting up. Once you're sure you've got everything wipe the old drive. Before doing this I'd make back ups to CD/DVD and/or some sort of USB device.

John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim,

A USB drive is a good way to backup your files. The only problem is that you'll probably also be backing up infected files.

If you can get all of your documents backed up onto a Hard Drive, I would HIGHLY recommend you think about switching to Linux. You will NO LONGER have to worry about these problems.

The version of Linux I use is super easy to install, and has all kinds of Free/Open Software that allows you to do things like read / write Microsoft Word Documents, etc.... There shouldn't be anything you can't do with a Linux Desktop these days. It's 100% free, and it's Open Source.

http://ubuntu.com/

The very best of luck to you, and if you ever need any help with Linux or Ubuntu, let me know in a PM.

Cheers,
Trae

--
Trae McCombs
TSR - Sponsored by the Masses. Racing for the hell of it.
Ironman Finisher 2005 -- 14:09:18
Quote Reply