Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

OT: Ebay sleuths and Corvette Buffs - HELP!!!
Quote | Reply
Sorry for the OT guys (have mercy on me Slowman!!!) - but this would never get views in the LR...

I am looking at the following Corvette on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...0028482272%26fvi%3D1

I'd like to hear some feedback from those that can smell an Ebay fraud and/or those with Vette knowlege...

Some comments/concerns:

1. The pictures (particularly the first one) are almost TOO good. Almost looks like they came out of a magazine.

2. The first picture appears to be up north (where the car is) and looks like fall. Would the leaves be changing already or is it perhaps an older picture? Some of the pictures below, however, are around palm trees. Would there be palm trees near the beach in NY (sorry - I Ihave no idea)?

3. The interior is two-tone. This initially concerned me but I found some other vettes with the same interior so I think it may actually make it somewhat unique.

4. The flag emblem is missing between the headlights. It is there on the fuel tank door. According to Vette sites, it should be in both those locations. Perhaps this indicates a repaint?

5. The t-tops are glass (as opposed to body-colored fiberglass). According to vette sites, glass t-tops didn't start until 1978 so these must be aftermarket?

6. The seller has a long history on Ebay - but nothing for about 2 years.

7. The sellers ID appears to indicate his name is Brad - but the person who answers the questions is named Thomas.

8. The VIN number matches what he says it should (77 Vette with an L82), however, there are no pictures of it so it COULD have just been made up following the standards on any Vette history site.

9. He says the car has Cruise Control, however, the sites I've searched say that was only available on Automatics. Anyone know if it was a dealer option on manuals?

On the plus side:

A. The seller is answering questions posted via Ebay.

B. I spoke to the seller via phone - and he seemed like a 'genuine' guy (whatever that means in Ebay world!).

C. I have been addressing some of these concerns with him via voice and email and he seems interested in answering the questions as best he can (not the original owner).

My wife says i am 'looking' for issues to be concerned about. I think I'm just being appropriately paranoid.

Whay say the collective minds here?
Last edited by: GaryKlingerman: Sep 18, 06 5:42
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Ebay sleuths and Corvette Buffs - HELP!!! [GaryKlingerman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm no expert but the vin # seems to be a few #'s short. Its supposed to be 17 #'s long. His feedback seems to be good. No idea whether the car is good or not. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Ebay sleuths and Corvette Buffs - HELP!!! [GaryKlingerman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a buff or sleuth but my brother has sold a few cars on Ebay (for friends) including several older classics so I know what he provided and was asked.

First - I would ask for a few more pictures. Not that it is so important - but to see the level of commitment that the seller has. Ask the seller to take a photo of the Vin # (check with carfax for problems), the front dash (including actual odometer), trunk, front view with lights "up" and any other that may interest you. Pictures are a easy way to ease some concern. It's hard to take a picture of something you don't have.

Second - This may sound weird - but ask the seller to "hear" the motor. Yes - there is not much you could probably tell from phone...but this again insures he has the vehicle and it actually runs. It also tells the seller that you are serious.

Lastly - if at all possible - pick the vehicle up if you win. Dependent to how much you spend - it may be worth the expense.

Don't be too concerned if the seller needs a little time (as he may be selling it for a friend and can't get to the car right away) to get you what you want...Do be concerned if he can't "access" the car!

Good luck!

Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me is Keyser Soze
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Ebay sleuths and Corvette Buffs - HELP!!! [Keyser_Soze] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good points. Thanks.

I have asked for additional pictures, he claims he is in Florida visiting his mother (I called him at a 305 number) so he cannot get to the car to take additional pictures. He does, however, say he will be back home this week and can take pictures then.

Another little alarm bell. I can't take pictures as I am not with the car.... On the other hand, the guy answers the phone. Don't Ebay scams generally hide behind email?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The glass t-tops were originally an option that GM later cancelled because of vendor issues. The vendor went ahead and marketed themselves for the '77 only. A missing set of crossed flags on the front could mean that the hood or front fiberglass has been replaced.

In my e-bay experience, scammers are difficult to get ahold of and unwilling to answer direct questions. This guy gave good contact info and is answering the phone. The seller seems legit and that is one pimping car.
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Ebay sleuths and Corvette Buffs - HELP!!! [fiddlesandbikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am dying to hit the buy-it-now button and get it over with. Not sure why I am so undure about this.

Sound like you know vettes. Do you see ANYTHING that would cause you concern??

The car is almost too sweet!! Why are there no bids? I know many bidders wait until the last minute but this does have a buy-it-now and it has been several days with no initial bids.

Thoughts?

I want to get on a plane and go get it!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speaking on the phone is a pretty good sign...but I wouldn't rest on that. Anywho.com reverse lookup on that first # does pull up a "Brad" in Fl so it appears everything he has told you is on the level. The second # didn't pull anything up...may be a cell or unlisted. Most scamers don't just put out their phone #'s on the listing.

A "real" seller won't be too put off by lots of questions and will do all that they can to sell the car for top $$. Ask as many questions to make yourself comfortable. Just don't waste the guys time if you are not serious...

...Now determining that the car is what you want and isn't a lemon...that's another story :-)

Makes buying a used frame a cake walk!

Good luck.

Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me is Keyser Soze
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The late '70's vettes just haven't quite reached that super desirable stage. Most cars don't start getting a premium price until they hit the magical 30 year stage when they are officially (insurance and otherwise) classic. This car looks very clean.

Ohhh, just had a closer look. You need to verify the vin number for this car. 1977 VIN's are as follows:

1Z67J7S 100001-149213. The 1Z37 that he claims would have to have been a convertible from 72 or 73 (and even then it would have been a K and not an X.)

I'm just looking from one of my sources, but it bears verifying. It could be a rebuilt car from pieces of various "shark" year models.
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Ebay sleuths and Corvette Buffs - HELP!!! [fiddlesandbikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
According to this site:

http://www.vettesite.com/vin.asp

The VIN seems to indicate a 77 with an L82 engine. Am I reading it wrong?

Thanks for your help!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, you're reading it right. But it is very different from the info I have for those year models (Consumer Reports publication.) I would verify with GM. Your local service dept can verify it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
My wife says i am 'looking' for issues to be concerned about. I think I'm just being appropriately paranoid. Whay say the collective minds here?
on eBay, it is buyer beware. so to be 'paranoid' about an item in that price range is pretty smart in my book. on the other hand, paying $11,000 for a 30-year-old, gaz-guzzling car of such poor and primitive design, and with one heck of a lot miles, and one made in the 1970s by that 'bastion of good quality', GM, is not that smart in my book.

but i wish you luck. in any case, paranoia pays off with eBay purchases.

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry I can't help you with e-bay, but my first question was why anyone would even want a late '70's Corvette. I was very involved in the high performace sports car scene in the '70's and Vettes were notorius as the biggest POS car you could buy. Terrible reliability problems and on top of that they were incredibly slow (at least in anything near stock). I once actually beat a car very similar to the one for sale with my '71 240Z, which had a near stock engine except for an after market exhaust. If you're looking for a 'driver' car I would look at C4s, or newer, and not waste money on this piece of junk no matter how nice it looks. Just my 2 cents.

Azby
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ask for a photo of the car with a piece of paper with a specific message written on it - displayed in the photo - such as your pet's name or something which will require very little effort - yet authenticate that he is with the car.

As a final means of security - ask if the seller will allow the funds to go into escrow if possible - to be released upon verification that the car exists - as shown
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get the car fax.

that what aided me in buying my wifes Cabriolet.....IN NY.

When I live in WA ST.

A friend of mine just sold one for 9k so the buy now price is a little stiff. Left door seam at the hinge end is uneven.

Good Luck.

Push your Passion!
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Ebay sleuths and Corvette Buffs - HELP!!! [dustytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Current VINs are 17 digits long.

However, in 1977, they were only 13 digits. I'm not sure of exactly when they switched (early 80's maybe?). And I don't know how to read all of the digits in the older VINs, but at least the # of digits is correct. I'd definitely run it thru CarFax.
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Ebay sleuths and Corvette Buffs - HELP!!! [rundru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been looking at vettes for some time now. On the positive side, the car does look clean. I like the 70s sharks. The $11,000 price tag is not too far off. The manual transmission and L82 make the car more desirable. The guy has 100 percent positive feedback.

Key issue is the frame. If the frame is rusted or weak, you got major problems. The seller doesn't say the numbers match. This may be the reason for the lower price. Don't let non-matching numbers stop you if you are looking for a driver. I'd get more pix of the engine. The chrome air filter cover may be the only thing new and added just for cover-up bling.

I love the two tone interior! I'd get a Carfax and a "brick and mortar" address from the seller. Don't buy cars in a secondary location like a parking lot - odometer roll backs and stolen cars!

I've seen uglier vettes for boo-coo more $. The down-side is limited if you check on the above issues. Good Luck.

After Thought: Oh! The palm trees in New York (see the pix) are curious. Maybe some caution is warranted.
Quote Reply