Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

OT: Computer Help
Quote | Reply
Ok. I have a 4 year old HP computer. It works alright, but I have A LOT of spyware, trojans, adware, things like that in it.

I want to delete everything and start over on the same machine. I know how to create a backup of all my files, but I canot figure out a way to save my emails and have them organized inside Outlook like I have now ( over 3,000 emails).

Any solutions?

Thanks much in advance,
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Computer Help [Felipe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You need to archive them to a .pst file and them import them when you've reloaded Outlook. To do this, go to File, Import/Export....Export to a file, Personal File folder(.pst)

Warning, with 3000 e-mails, the .pst file could be quite large.

------------------------------------------------
Fight............Finish
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first question would be do you really need 3000 emails?

Next you can save the outlook emails either in .RTF or .MSG formats to a regular folder on your hard disk then back them up as you would any other file on the disk. Depending on how you save them you may lose the attachments, so make sure you save any that you'd like to keep independantly of saving the email file. You do this by clicking file -> save as -> then save as either rich text format or email format by clicking the drop down in the bottom of the save as dialog box.

Back up the files you want to save to CD or other media. DO NOT do a complete backup to be restored later you'll put the spyware back on your new image.

format the disk, install a new OS then go about re-installing all your other software and doing your restore.
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Computer Help [ECE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, I have more than 3,000. I have close to 5,000.

I really need "most" of them, maybe half that.

I am on Outlook Express, and it doesn't seem to let me import/export to a personal folder.

If I take the computer to a shop to get this done, any idea of how much it will run me?

Thanks a lot,

http://www.Felipe-Bastos.com
--------------------------------------------
Blog: felipebastos.blogspot.com
Facebook: facebook.com/felipebastos
Twitter: @felipebastos1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dunno about the import export but if you're on outlook express it should save all your emails to a local directory. you should be able to find them by doing a search on your c: drive for eml, msg, or whatever the file type outlook express uses.

Worst case scerio, get a google, yahoo account forward all your mail to that and you have them as a back up.

I stopped using outlook express because it seemed to vulnerable to the spyware, virus' and what not that always seem to be going around.

If that doesn't work out for you and you take into a shop, I have no clue what they'll charge you or how long it would take to get your stuff back. If you're in a bigger US city you could call geek squad, I think they charged like 95 bucks for a re-image. And they come to your house.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
most of the information you need has already been posted here. just search you rcomputer for your .pst file. all your e-mail information is already packaged in that one file. Copy it. Unfortunately, it will very likely be too large to copy onto a CD. Outlook will be able to import this file.

Of course, you may be able to clense your system of the bad elements, avoiding the need for a format and rebuild. have you used free malware removal tools like Ad-aware?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure you can create a folder on your desktop, then drag and drop all the e-mails from Outlook Express to that folder, then save that folder to a disc. I know this is possible with Outlook, just not Outlook Express.

$95 for GeekSquad? Damn. Shop around for a local PC repair shop. There's one in my town that charges $35 flat rate per issue.

A wipe/reformat/reinstall should kill everything on your system. There's an awesome link that I can't get to from work that shows you step-by-step on how to protect your computer from a lot of crap, I'll update if I remember. The steps take maybe an hour but it's worth doing it.

Preventative maintainence.

Your favorite mafia sucks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here it is:

http://scribbling.net/how-to-fix-moms-computer

Your favorite mafia sucks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Before you go to all the trouble of reformatting and starting over, have you tried something like Ad-Aware SE Personal? It's free, and it's pretty damn good at getting rid of that stuff. You can download the freeware version from their website:

http://www.lavasoft.com/

No, I don't work for them- I just really like the product, and I like the price too ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Outlook Express, go to Tools >Options >Maintenance tab and click on the 'Store Folder' button. It will show you the location where the emails are stored. Now, from Windows Explorer, go into that folder. You will see 1 .dbx file for each email subfolder. Save those (based on the 5000 emails, you will probably need 1 CD per .dbx file).

After reformatting your hard drive, recreate the email folder and paste back the .dbx files. Make this folder you default Email folder (through Tools >Options >Maintenance tab 'Store Folder' button) and voila!

Does that answer your question?
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Computer Help [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guys,

First off, thanks so much for the help. It is much obliged.

Here is where the problem lies: I did use Ad-Aware. It made me delete a VERY important file for some reason, now Excel won't open anymore.

Months after that, I made a huge mistake of using it again. I deleted another VERY important file, this time everytime I opened ANY software, I get a error message. I just move the error message to the right of the screen and get it out of my way, but it is simply time I get the computer working like new. It is full of useless files and slow.

Thanks a lot,

Felipe

http://www.Felipe-Bastos.com
--------------------------------------------
Blog: felipebastos.blogspot.com
Facebook: facebook.com/felipebastos
Twitter: @felipebastos1
Quote Reply