Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Not very OT: pro's gear selection
Quote | Reply
I would like to see which triathlon pro the majority of ST think has the best sponsorship lineup. I'm going for Cam widoff. Besides the trek, zipp oakley, and orca look pretty sweet. What's your vote?
Quote Reply
Re: Not very OT: pro's gear selection [aerojunkie2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally, I think Cam's best gear is his ASICS shoes ; )

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Re: Not very OT: pro's gear selection [aerojunkie2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who the sponsors are do not mean much, the level of sponsorship is more meaningful. I.e a Zipp sponsorship may mean free wheels or it may mean discount product (i.e wholesale pricing).

Which would you prefer Zipps at wholesale or Reynolds wheels for free? I'm betting you'd take the free product. I guess my point is that just because an athlete happens to have "cool" or higher profile sponsors, doesn't necessarily mean he is getting a better deal than someone say sponsored by Felt, Rudy Project and Reynolds.

Assuming a sponsor makes a quality product, the intelligent athlete would go with whichever sponsor is offering the higest level of sponsorship, even if one company is "cooler".

"When I first had the opportunity to compete in triathlon, it was the chicks and their skimpy race clothing that drew me in. Everyone was so welcoming and the lifestyle so obviously narcissistic. I fed off of that vain energy. To me it is what the sport is all about."
Last edited by: Tri_yoda: Nov 27, 05 17:11
Quote Reply
Re: Not very OT: pro's gear selection [Tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that might depend on if the athlete is choosing who to apply for sponsorship from, or if the companies are approaching them. I choose potential sponsors based on quality, not how likely they are to give me free stuff or how good their discounts are. That way, I'm truly happy with the products that my sponsors make, and am even more eager to be a brand representative and recommend products to friends and fellow athletes.

I race duathlons and like it.
Quote Reply