Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Not recovering IT Band Friction Syndrome!! [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billabong wrote:
I had a real bad case of ITB, stopped running for four months, massage, foam roller, nothing worked. My wife got me an Xbox of Christmas, the functional movements in Xbox Sports solved the issue, I was running in Mid January.

+1. Rest, massage, etc did nothing. Chiro was a waste too. Get those hips flexible again. Lots of very deliberate stretching fixed it. Did some yoga for a while too. Tight hips are altering your mechanics and muscle firing patterns and, simply put, causing you to move wrong and stress this tendon.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Not recovering IT Band Friction Syndrome!! [sedelany] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Weight lifting. That's what healed mine.
Squats, deadlifts, adductor and abductor machine. 2x per week and you'll see it go away in a couple months.
Quote Reply
Re: Not recovering IT Band Friction Syndrome!! [rstucke35] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rstucke35 wrote:
My issue was eventually linked to my gait - specifically my cross-over gait. My right foot and left foot when running in a straight line would cross over each other. Check out the Gait Guys for a better explanation and video.

I coupled better running technique (forcing myself to have a wider gait) and muscle strengthening exercises (single leg squats).
x2 on the gait: when I started to force my feet to land under my hip sockets (rather than on the 'symmetry line', my "just-below-the-front/outside-of-knee" pain went away or became "controlable".

Another thing, my knee pain never went away with less running, it always helped to run more often, but always quitting when the pain started. That way I could increase the running volume and reduce the knee problem.

The ROI from exercises and stretching was poor compared to the two above. YMMV...
Quote Reply
Re: Not recovering IT Band Friction Syndrome!! [sedelany] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Many others have weighed in and add me to those who beat it in the gym. Lightweight squats, lunges, and especially skater squats. The key for me was introducing some non-linear work to my training routine. You may want to also have someone check your bike fit.
Quote Reply
Re: Not recovering IT Band Friction Syndrome!! [djedwards] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I battled with it for several years and ended up having ITB release surgery. It was then about a 12 month recovery and taken about a year consistent running to hit good form again, and have confidence to put the kms in each week and not worry it will go again.
Quote Reply
Re: Not recovering IT Band Friction Syndrome!! [Gilliga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Battled with it for 18 years and it will never go away

I believe its the hips and when on TT bike it impinges on the band
causing the friction over the knee over such long distances

It is long distance issue ie Half IM and IM distances when the issue
aries

I am still recovering from Dec IM and now 3 months, improved but
needs monitoring all the time
Quote Reply
Re: Not recovering IT Band Friction Syndrome!! [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRinSD wrote:
I struggled with IT issues for years and I can feel it flare up a bit from time to time now, but never so bad that I need to reduce my running volume.

The secret for me wasn't icing or rolling. I read something about doing hip thrusts to strengthen glutes. I went on YouTube, watched a video and did the exercise every time I was at the gym for about a month or so. My ITB has not impacted me in any significant way since.

I don't do hip thrusts every visit to the gym anymore. For me it is now more of a maintenance thing if I feel like it is about to flare up again.

This is my n = 1.

Best of luck to you!

X2. Had ITBS 10 years ago. Did hip thrusts and one-legged exercises to strengthen leg, hip and glute. Simple exercises fixed it for me. I also concluded my gluteus medius (middle butt muscle) was very weak and very tight and was pulling the IT Band taut which would cause it to rub.

From everything I've read the problem with ITBS is either the foot or the hips/buttocks. Most times the hip buttocks. Rest long enough for the knee to heal. And due lots of one-legged simple exercises just using your own body weight.
Quote Reply
Re: Not recovering IT Band Friction Syndrome!! [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
SBRinSD wrote:
I struggled with IT issues for years and I can feel it flare up a bit from time to time now, but never so bad that I need to reduce my running volume.

The secret for me wasn't icing or rolling. I read something about doing hip thrusts to strengthen glutes. I went on YouTube, watched a video and did the exercise every time I was at the gym for about a month or so. My ITB has not impacted me in any significant way since.

I don't do hip thrusts every visit to the gym anymore. For me it is now more of a maintenance thing if I feel like it is about to flare up again.

This is my n = 1.

Best of luck to you!

X2. Had ITBS 10 years ago. Did hip thrusts and one-legged exercises to strengthen leg, hip and glute. Simple exercises fixed it for me. I also concluded my gluteus medius (middle butt muscle) was very weak and very tight and was pulling the IT Band taut which would cause it to rub.

From everything I've read the problem with ITBS is either the foot or the hips/buttocks. Most times the hip buttocks. Rest long enough for the knee to heal. And due lots of one-legged simple exercises just using your own body weight.

I'm dealing with inflammation around my IT band, mostly the left side but a bit on the right too. It flared up in early April and has essentially shut down my running. I've been doing a lot of hip and glute exercises (like these), a lot of side shuffle and monster walks with bands, and hamstring strengthening because I think I've become more quad-dominant since focusing on riding during the pandemic.

My question is – is it possible to overdo it and slow recovery by doing these exercises too much? I ask because I was making reasonable progress just doing body weight exercises every other day. When those were feeling "too easy" I started adding weights and higher resistance bands. That seemed to be going ok for a week or two but lately my ITB is more irritated.

The simple answer would be to just go back to body weight. I think I just find it hard to believe that such simple exercises with only body weight will make a difference, and I tend to think that if it feels too easy it probably isn't doing anything for you.

Any thoughts or recommendations?
Quote Reply
Re: Not recovering IT Band Friction Syndrome!! [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
This might sound odd, but any chance you belong to a gym? Mine went away when I focused on Strengntening my leg muscles...like squats. Remember....form is key. Dont get into trying to impress anyone dl your own thing!

^^this.
Squats and deadlifts. 2-3x per week and give it a good 6-8 weeks. Don’t go crazy with heavy weights though.
Quote Reply

Prev Next