Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
No love for Vineman Full?
Quote | Reply
The Full Vineman triathlon just celebrated its 25th running. I was fortunate enough to have participated Saturday on what turned out to be one of my best experiences to date in endurance sports. From the reception on Thursday to the incredible organization on race day to the beautiful but challenging course the experience was excellent. Saturday was also noteworthy for the toughness of the course conditions and the competitiveness of the elite athletes. The day got so hot that the DNF rate was high and the evidence of courage and toughness was plentiful.

But perhaps the most noteworthy thing to me was the fact that in a triathlon world dominated by the all-consuming WTC and the Ironman brand this independent race in small-time Guerneville and Windsor CA has managed to survive and thrive for 25 years! Yet the press in our sport hasn't even acknowledged the milestone. I haven't seen one word on ST or Triathlete or Lava about Vineman's longevity. We bitch and moan about the heavy handedness of Ironman in many instances but yet it's apparent that we do this to ourselves. We glorify IM and give them all our money but don't even have the decency to acknowledge a major milestone for a hometown race that has been able to make it, at a high level of quality, for a very long time.

As happy as I am to see coverage of great races like The Outlaw in ST's front page and Iowa's Pigman Triathlon on Triathlete's I am dissapointed at the lack of acknowledgement of what is surely an American milestone to be celebrated by our sport.

Happy 25th Anniversary Vineman Full and thanks for another great year of pure triathlon fun!

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: No love for Vineman Full? [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll give another shout out for Vineman. One of the most beautiful race courses I've ever been on. And considering how nice the weather is at this time of year, no race day surprise rain/thunderstorms are likely.

I'll most likely do this one again next year.

cheers
S.

// qui audet adipiscitur
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately, konakonakonakonakona.

I spectated @ Vineman full a couple years ago and it's apparent that its longevity is due to good organization, a good location, a good course, community support, etc etc etc. Simply put, they provide a solid product to their customers.

One can only hope that it continues to survive if not thrive.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yer right. . peopel are insane for not doing this race. the lower price and the offer for a combined group pricing for three or more friends (think thats what it is) along with the scenery and organization is incredible. not to mention the fact that i dont have to sign up 12 months in advance . .actualy, now that i think of it . .. no dont do this race . .stay away!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well said...i worked the mile 4 run aid station and definitely a tough day with 90+ temps. Right before and right after the race it was much cooler. In fact this morning it is socked in with fog. Despite the conditions the racers were very positive and showed the Ironman spirit (I don't care what the Wall Street guys at WTC say). I heard Dalhz collapsed while in the lead with just a couple of miles to go. Just that would have been an interesting story or interview. Great job finishing!
Quote Reply
Re: No love for Vineman Full? [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriMike wrote:
Well said...i worked the mile 4 run aid station and definitely a tough day with 90+ temps. Right before and right after the race it was much cooler. In fact this morning it is socked in with fog. Despite the conditions the racers were very positive and showed the Ironman spirit (I don't care what the Wall Street guys at WTC say). I heard Dalhz collapsed while in the lead with just a couple of miles to go. Just that would have been an interesting story or interview. Great job finishing!

Mike, Thanks for being out there volunteering on the course on Saturday. The volunteers were awesome. Every run aid station was well stocked and full of people ready to help you. This was very good since I saw many people being helped by volunteers after experiencing medical distress. The volunteers at the med tent were also awesome. I made a quick stop there after finishing :-) One of the medical volunteers had been volunteering at the race for 10 years! Really, really good race. And yes, Dalhz collapsing with two miles to go while in the lead was pretty crazy.

------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great race ... great location ... honest course.

John
Last edited by: Jmercer: Jul 31, 14 13:41
Quote Reply
Re: No love for Vineman Full? [Jmercer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did this race as my first iron distance. I'd done the IM70.3 the year prior and it's basically exactly the same in every way, minus the high cost and IM branding. Very well run, I had a really good experience. Honestly I was told upfront to not do that one, that a first has to be an 'Ironman' because then you'll hear Mike Reilly say 'You're an Ironman' . I learned when I ran through the finish time that it totally didn't matter what anyone said or did not say - the accomplishment was the same.

Anyway, really nice race, and I'd highly recommend it to anyone.

Quote | Reply
Thanks for bringing this out ... the folks at Vineman will appreciate it. Before I say anything I do need to note I'm affiliated with Vineman as their (well along w/ Dave Ragsdale) race announcer for the event.

First note ... Mike & the rest of the volunteers were A#1 first class on Saturday across a tough day

It's incredibly disappointing that not 1 media outlet (other than local newspapers) cared to even mention the race in it's 25th anniversary. (almost 800 entries) ... Vineman had accurate and up to date live tracking and I believe they were doing updates via twitter. We had spotters on the course providing accurate updates so I know the info was being relayed. Therefore the media outlets (as they usually do) could have written an article or race report in 15min from the live tracking & twitter feed. (that's what media outlets do since they don't actually go to races outside a few big one) For a race that was on the same weekend as IMLP & IMC and has to contend with Tahoe it stands strong with 800 entries (hopefully more going forward) While other races have come and gone Vineman still stands ... it really is a good one! And yeah ... if it had an M-Dot on it and nothing else changed it would sell out in 5min

Reality is the whole 7th place stunt (yeah it was good for awareness ... but they could have paid 10 deep) was apparently more important than 25 years of triathlon history.

Couple of notes from the race
* The mens field was darn strong at the pointy end but the conditions and competition made things interesting ... yes Dahlz (who really only had the run fitness for one good lap) led the race for 8+ hours solo (29min swim / 4:48 bike) ... then was on the ground at mile 24 of the run (he lost 12 pounds). Max Biessman came back from the dead to claw out the win. Pretty dramatic stuff

* The womens race a was 2 person show as Sarah Jarvis & Whitney McCain spent the swim & half the bike together before Jarvis pulled a away on the bike to get 5min by T2. McCain chipped away to take the lead mile 17 and eventually win in course record time (Jarvis bested th record too) ... McCain took home $2500 winning a portion of the prize bonus plus course record bonus ... Jarvis took home $2000 as part of the prize bonus

A ton of thanks to those that have and continue to support a great, challenging, and fair race.

Cheers,

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Last edited by: Dave Latourette: Jul 31, 14 9:48
Quote Reply
Re: No love for Vineman Full? [Cobble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well said!

Dave Latourette
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was the first iron distance race I did. Just a great race run by folks that truly love the event and the sport.
Quote Reply
Re: No love for Vineman Full? [Dave Latourette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was there and did the AquaBike (as part of my training for IMAZ which will be my first full distance race). I have to say it was a great race, and the organization and volunteers were on top of it. Well run, fun, and beautiful, especially since I was Swim-Run-Done! It was, I think, the 24th running of their AquaBike race, and also something like the 13th running of Barb's Race which is a womens only 70.3. And I can say, based on how well run the events were that they will be strong moving forward. I was surprised that I didnt see more news, even on the forum about it. I was going to do a Race Report, just so I can do some back door/side door/front door bragging, but have been too busy reading about #IMLP7th this week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats to Vineman. The Great Floridian will hit its 25th anniversary milestone next year, but that race is hanging by a thread....just a little over a 100 finishers last year. I'm wondering if they'll get a registration bump for next year's anniversary. If not, it could be the end.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did Tahoe last year as my first 140.6. Back to Olympics/70.3s for me this year, but Full Vineman will be my next 140.6. I did the 1/2 last year and other than the shallow water on the swim and possibility for heat, the venue is absolutely fantastic.

With no realistic shot at Kona anyways, I don't get any benefit from an M-dot branded race.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: No love for Vineman Full? [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was the first iron distance race I did. Just a great race run by folks that truly love the event and the sport.
---------
My first too and I agree with you, great race.

BTW: I did the 20th anniversary race.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Last edited by: Longboarder: Jul 31, 14 10:26
Quote Reply
Re: No love for Vineman Full? [Longboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My first IM too. Done 15 others since and still think it was one of the best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They're also one of the few races that continues to offer an Aquabike, especially a full Aquabike. As it costs them little more than a rack area somewhere near T2, it's a wonder more races don't offer it. It's the perfect training race for a late-season Ironman. I've noticed the Aquabike fields growing as more people are unable or unwilling to run. I did not envy you full Vinemen & women on Saturday!
Quote Reply
Re: No love for Vineman Full? [Dave Latourette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave, Great job on Saturday and throughout the weekend. I love so many things about this race that make it unique: the river swim, chalk hill, the crazy hard run course with the tons of people that line the last mile (which we do 6 times). And of course the breaking of the Vineman tape at the finish. And lest I forget I love that it's on Saturday so I can then have Sunday to recover in Sonoma county.

------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing we don't know is how much advance promotion was done by the organizers - 25 is big, but did they get the word out to the media?

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I appreciate that ... My job is easy compared to those who do the heavy lifting!! Hope to see you next year!

Dave Latourette
Quote Reply
Re: No love for Vineman Full? [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, i know that they did from what i undrstand

Dave Latourette
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I enjoy the race! I have done the full 8 times since '91. The years I haven't done the full, I have done the 70.3 or Aquabike. It is a 7 hour drive from So Cal. So, I guess I am a believer.
Having said that, I have done it enough that the full just doesn't call to me anymore. By doing an "ironman" I can compete against many of the best in my age group.
I have friends that want their first 140.3 to be an "Ironman". I tell them how great Vineman is, but they want the title "ironman".
I remain a big fan!

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriMike wrote:

you were great at that aid station, rallying the kids to listen to the racers. thank you so much for being out there.

one of the cool things about the run course was that I saw the drama unfold in the both races: Dahlz was strong on one lap, but then I saw him an hour later collapsed in the passenger seat of a support car. Biessmann didn't look like he was killing it on lap one but reeled in everyone else. Another racer who was following a bike leading the third place men, I ended up passing at mile 25, and I ain't fast. the heat zapped everybody. and the top two women were MOTORING. very cool to see the lead change between them right in front of me.

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the first one in August 1990. I think the swim was in Lake Sonoma. We biked to Napa and also ran in Napa.

It ain't cheating if you're trying to win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriMike wrote:

As another "survivor" of the race this year let me extend my thanks personally to you as well, as well as to the race organization (FLAWLESS!) and the volunteers (plentiful, enthusiastic, and energetic). A highlight was the lady throwing up about a quarter mile outside of the mile 3 aid station, and seconds later a volunteer was running down the course with a cup of water for her. Above and beyond. Hats off.

What a great race. I had a blast.

-Eric
Quote Reply

Prev Next