Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Nissen Fundoplication for GERD
Quote | Reply
Curious if any of you have had the Nissen done (corrective surgery for acid reflux). If so how has it impacted your active lifestyle, specifically training and racing tris. I'm considering it so I can get off the acid meds that come with potential long term side effects. I've gone through the testing and my doc says I'm a great candidate for it. There is a lot of info on the web, but hard to find folks who've had it done and are into endurance sports. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Nissen Fundoplication for GERD [wildman1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few options to consider as part of your final decision:
1. Stretta
2. Linx
3. Fundo

I'm not advocating one over the other but there are some additional options. I know that the Linx procedure is still very new and warrants additional longitudinal studies. Bob Ganz was the lead author on their NEJM study and he remains cautiously optimistic. Stretta came out a number of years ago under the name Curan, but had inconclusive outcomes data despite great financial market success (IPO, etc). The lack of strong studies quickly led to their collapse. They have since restructured as Mederi and subsequently did the necessary studies to re-validate itself. They had a great panel of speakers at Digestive Disease Week this past weekend. "Some" are saying that Stretta may be a good option before a fundo.

Good luck.

Matt Amman
Quote Reply
Re: Nissen Fundoplication for GERD [M.AMMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info Matt. I have looked into a couple other options such as Linx and TIF, but not Stretta. Stretta sounds interesting, and I'll have to research that more. Right now I am leaning towards the Nissen because it seems to be what many MDs consider the gold standard treatment. Of course I am worried about how eating/drinking on the fly (e.g. in a race/training) would be with that. And as much as I despise taking medication for heartburn, I wouldn't want to jeopardize being able to participate in endurance sports.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had the procedure about ten years ago. Made a world of difference with reflux. Burping was odd the first few months, but after everything healed and settled into place I have no noticeable ill effects. Expect to be down a few weeks. Those first few days were a doozy. I don't regret it one bit.
Quote Reply
Re: Nissen Fundoplication for GERD [RyuTan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, the (potential for) not being able to burp is really what concerns me. I'm just trying to fathom how I would get through a race with all the gel/sports drink/water sloshing around and not being able to do that. My doc feels I have an 80% chance of success, which means getting off the acid meds and not having heartburn. However he said the burping thing was typically 50/50, so concerning to me. Glad to hear it worked out for you. Thanks for sharing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So this is kind of an old post. Did you end up getting the nissen done? If so, how has training been? I am having this done in 2 weeks and am pretty nervous. I have non acidic reflux with constant throat clearing. I have to take a lot of meds to get decent control of my symptoms. Hope all is well for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Nissen Fundoplication for GERD [desertchica] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I never had it done. Went through all the prelim tests, but after consulting with another doc decided to continue PPIs. Second doc felt my symptoms were well controlled with meds (note he was not the prescribing doc). I was ultimately scared off by the possible side effects and chance of it having to be redone in x years. I often wonder if I made the right decision. I'm still debating it and also eyeing the linx procedure now. Only hangup there is you can't have some MRIs, which I usually get every five years for back issue. And some insurers aren't covering it. Anyway, I hope it goes well for you. It sounds like your symptoms are a bit worse than mine. Please report back. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your response. Yeah, I'm currently on 40mg prilosec in the am and 40mg pepcid at bedtime. That keeps the heartburn under control but I still reflux and clear my throat a lot. I found that taking gaviscon 4x a day in addition to my meds helps. Too much! Lol

The linx procedure sounds neat. That wasn't offered to me. Don't know if my surgeon does that or not. Good luck with your procedure. I'd be curious to hear what you think of it. I'll report back on the nissen.

Thanks again!
Quote Reply