Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Nike vs Brooks - Quality
Quote | Reply
I have primarily avoided buying Nike shoes for many years. My thought was that for the $100ish price, you are mostly paying for their marketing machine. I have stuck with Asics or Brooks.
After hearing good things about the Lunar line, when it was time for new shoes a few months ago, I was really torn between the Brooks Adrenaline 10 (If have used the 7 and 8 prior and liked them) and the Lunarglide. The Nike was wider in the toebox, but felt good. In the end, I bought the Brooks.
Two weeks ago, I was able to find a pair of Lunarglides on sale. Since I have been in the Adrenaline 10, I have been keeping an eye out for a deal on the Lunarglides and planned to rotate shoes.
The Nike feels great and I enjoy running in them. Decent stability for what I need, light and comfortable (I even set a 5k and 10k PR in our local 4th of July race).
But - They seem to be made poorly. The eyelets for the laces are crap compared to Brooks. The tongue is super thin and I feel the laces after about 6 miles. Granted, it has only been a few weeks, but I feel like these are going to break down faster.
Any thoughts / experiences?
Quote Reply
Re: Nike vs Brooks - Quality [timboricki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I stopped buying nike a while back thanks to poor quality. I'll stick to my Brooks Glycerin's.
Quote Reply
Re: Nike vs Brooks - Quality [chjohnson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brooks...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't think by brand. That's pointless. Every manufacturer makes good shoes and no so good shoes.

Think by model. Find a model of a shoe you like at a price you can live with and buy a bunch of them.
Quote Reply
Re: Nike vs Brooks - Quality [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Don't think by brand. That's pointless. Every manufacturer makes good shoes and no so good shoes.

Think by model. Find a model of a shoe you like at a price you can live with and buy a bunch of them.

True...I completely enjoyed my Nike Air Max Motos, never had a problem with them, great shoe for what I needed at the time. (more heel cushioning) My running buddy puts ~45 miles a week on his Lunars, says he loves them.

That being said...because of a design change in the new Motos and because I'm moving to a lighter shoe, I'm running with Brooks Launch now. LOVE them. Perfect shoe for what I need now.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brooks and asics are the highest quality shoes on the market.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran in one pair of Nikes that I got a great deal on at a local shop back in Jersey, never again. I don't like Nike as a company period, but not for the reasons of many others. I just think they have their hands in too many pie, if I want running shoes I go with a running shoe company, same with bikes, swim gear, surfing gear and the like. It seems that Nike tries to dominate too many varying markets and the quality falls short of other more sport specific brands. I've been running in Asics for years aside from that one pair of Nikes, Asics is a great company with a solid product.

Last edited by: thetodd: Jul 13, 10 11:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to be anti-Nike...until I got a pair of LunarLites. I really like them. I've had no issues with quality. They're super comfortable, light, provide great cushioning and support, etc. I think the sole will break down a little quicker than traditional shoes becasue it's a different material, but that's what gives you the light weight. That being said, I've put about 250-300km on mine and they're still in great shape.

http://www.teamrunningfree.com

Quote Reply
Re: Nike vs Brooks - Quality [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

X2 on this. Nike gets a bad rap because they make more than their fair share of crappy shoes, but their top notch stuff is just as good as anyone else. It is possible that OP got a dud pair, which happens with every company.
Quote Reply
Re: Nike vs Brooks - Quality [thetodd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I just think they have their hands in too many pie, if I want running shoes I go with a running shoe company"

Your argument might make sense if Nike's running division wasn't bigger than all of Brooks put together.

Nike makes some great running shoes....and a lot of not so great ones. Brooks makes fewer "not so great" ones...but that's because they can't afford to. Lots of Nike "running" shoes are never really meant for serious runners. Stick to the Bowerman and Zoom model lines if you're a serious runner.

I say that as someone who currently wears both Brooks and Nike shoes. I have models of both brands that work well. A few years ago I was an Asics guy...but nothing they make currently is as good for me as the Brooks and Nikes I'm wearing. The jury is still out on my newest Saucony Kinvara acquisition. Nice shoes...but they seem to be wearing rather quickly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quality of both brands has been good, from my perspective. For the past two years, I've run most of my miles using the Nike Free. Last summer, though, I began alternating between the Nike Lunarglide and the Brooks Ghost. Overall, I feel the latter is a better, more comfortable shoe for longer distances (15+ miles), but both are fine for 10ks, training runs, etc. What has made me lean more towards Brooks is their environmental policy.

In February, I picked up a pair of the Brooks Green Silence running shoe; it immediately became my favorite shoe. I still like running in the Free, but knowing (or at least believing; not sure how much is marketing hype) the shoe on my foot leaves a low carbon footprint makes me feel better about & while running. Maybe next go-round, I'll check out a pair of the N7 Free (http://tinyurl.com/256yh3x).

#cureMS
Quote Reply