Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Nice to See Spencer Smith Hauling Ass Again
Quote | Reply
As a long time fan of Mr. Smith I am glad to see his back to back performances at California Half Ironman and now at Arizona. I guess he lost some of that extra weight he claimed to have gained. Interestingly enough, his great race was not from biking from the front and holding off the gazelles, but letting others pull ahead on the bike and saving some legs to be a one of the gazelles on the run (a big gazelle too).

With all the bad luck in the past few years, it is great to see him back in the thick of action and more importantly in good health. Great job Spencer!

Slowman, do you know if he was riding steep? I remember a few years ago after he came back from being a roadie, he was riding slack and you got him to put his seat back waaaay forward and then he cleaned up at Ironman Florida.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Nice to See Spencer Smith Hauling Ass Again [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was his ride for Ralph's (probably the same for IMAZ):

Frame specs can be found HERE dev.

------------------------------------------------------------
Searching for the bliss of ultimate exertion.
Quote Reply
Re: Nice to See Spencer Smith Hauling Ass Again [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
here is Spencer hauling-

Jason Goldberg
FIT Multisports
Quote Reply
Re: Nice to See Spencer Smith Hauling Ass Again [callidus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That looks pretty slack compared to what he used to ride (looks like nose behind BB).

The guy can sure run for a dude with that much cosmetic bulk (on second thought, his bulk is not cosmetic as he uses it very effectively on the swim....functional bulk :-) )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless he had custom geometry that bike is normally circa 74 degrees. Ah between him and Lessing, nothing can stop us Brits now.......
Quote Reply
Re: Nice to See Spencer Smith Hauling Ass Again [UK Gear Muncher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Remember Muskoka 1992 when Lessing won ITU World's and Smith was the Junior ITU World Champ. Next year, he raced from the front at Manchester and showed everyone his rear end from wire to wire...same at Wellington 94. Those were two of the most dominating races ever at any triathlon World Championship. In Wellington the wind was howling and he and a group of ~10 guys riding legal a bit behind him and he just pulled away from them on the bike like they were a bunch of newbies...

I'd like to see both the Brits clean up at Hawaii (Lessing and Smith). Would be a very nice day.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have that old race on VHS still. Olympic distance sure seemed more raw then. I'd like Smith to get a good result at IMH just to settle his won mind.......
Quote Reply
Re: Nice to See Spencer Smith Hauling Ass Again [UK Gear Muncher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd love to borrow that tape, just to see what is was like back in the early 90s. However, Spencer has never been quite so dominating on the bike at IM distance events. He definitely puts the three together but he's never done "a Bjorn"... Lets hope he can improve that 10-15% needed for November and ride the new carbon Planet-x frame to a top three placing in Hawaii.
SteveMc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spencers bike has a 75.5 degree seat angle .
Quote Reply
Re: Nice to See Spencer Smith Hauling Ass Again [SteveMc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"he's never done a Bjorn"." Im very intrigued , whats doing a "Bjorn"

Maybe looking at Spencers pedigree , 3 world championships won with panache , two Ironman victories , its a question that should be asked the other way round.
Quote Reply
Re: Nice to See Spencer Smith Hauling Ass Again [planetx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doing a "bjorn" is riding an im bike split 10-20 minutes faster than the runners... creates lots of discussions on this forum BUT did work for Stadler in 2004 (and has worked well for Natasha too).
Which is kind of relevant 'cos Spencer and Norman must have cycled the Henshaw loop many a times together so Spencer would know if he had it in him to win in such a manner. I presume Spencer will try to stick will Reid in Hawaii as he has done in the past, which is not a bad plan all things considered...
SteveMc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was in that race against Spencer in Wellington as a junior. I remember looking at him before the start and thinking there was no freaking way he was a junior. I was a 17 yr old twig kid and he was this muscular mammoth beast. I agree, he DOMINATED that race.. Its good to see him doing so well again.

http://j-motrilife.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Nice to See Spencer Smith Hauling Ass Again [SteveMc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to be contrary BUT I was spectating IMCDA in 2003 when Spencer Smith took off on the bike like a bat out of hell and was so far ahead of everyone it was almost bizarre until he died by the end of lap 2 and DNF'd. That year was a bad year for many but he put on quite the display on the bike, flying through the short in town section (out of the saddle) 20 minutes ahead of everyone.

Not trying to disprespect him in anyway, just putting out an observation.
Quote Reply
Re: Nice to See Spencer Smith Hauling Ass Again [trailbait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Not to be contrary BUT I was spectating IMCDA in 2003 when Spencer Smith took off on the bike like a bat out of hell and was so far ahead of everyone it was almost bizarre until he died by the end of lap 2 and DNF'd. That year was a bad year for many but he put on quite the display on the bike, flying through the short in town section (out of the saddle) 20 minutes ahead of everyone.
Not trying to disprespect him in anyway, just putting out an observation. "

Maybe Spencer learnt thatday that "doing a Bjorn" isnt a great race tactic for him over Ironman distance .

He has a weekly column of planet x website so Ill ask him to write something about his preferred Ironman racing tactics , and the advantage / experiences hes had of blitzing the bike leg to get a good lead , as opoosed to maybe holding a touch back .

Dont forget right now Spencer doesnt feel hes at full race fitness and is gearing everything to being 110% at Hawaii .

So far its mission accomplished .
Quote Reply
Re: Nice to See Spencer Smith Hauling Ass Again [planetx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, come on folks. At Ironman, Spencer raced from the front, wire to wire at Ironman Florida and still popped a 2:52 marathon. As for doing a Bjorn, I agree with PlanetX..Bjorn should (and will) eventually pull off a "Spencer"...or actually let's rename it.

Let's call the strategy, "Pulling a Faris...nose in the front for 140.6 and winning"
Quote Reply