Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Newbie questions
Quote | Reply
I don't understand the difference between tubulars and clinchers. Can some one please explain it?

Also, what are the standards for wetsuits? What water temperature etc?

Do you have any suggestions on some where I can learn the basics of bike training? I am a former competitive swimmer / water polo player and I don't know anything about the bike portion. In my only race so far (alot of fun, but just a sprint). I was top 5 overall out of the water (9:20 for 750), watched 70 year old men on mountain bikes and 12 year old kids on banana seated huffy bikes go flying by me (55:45 for 20K) and then spent the 5k trying to catch people(22:20 for 5K). I need help bad. It wasn't that I was tired on the bike, I just couldn't move any faster. Please help.

Thanks in advance.

"which is like watching one of your buddies announce that he's quitting booze and cigarettes, switching to a Vegan diet and training for triathalons ... but he's going to keep snorting heroin." Bill Simmons, ESPN
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie questions [Yarf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
here are the USAT rules for wearing a wetsuit
sect 4.4 Wet suits.

Each age group participant shall be permitted to wear a wet suit without penalty in any event sanctioned by USA Triathlon up to and including a water temperature of 78 degrees Fahrenheit. When the water temperature is greater than 78 degrees, but less than 84 degrees Fahrenheit, age group participants may wear a wet suit at their own discretion, provided however that participants who wear a wet suit within this temperature range shall not be eligible for prizes or awards. Age group participants shall not wear wet suits in water temperatures equal to or greater than 84 degrees Fahrenheit. The wetsuit policy for elite athletes shall be determined by the USAT Athletes Advisory Council.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"on your Left"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For tubulars the tube is actually sealed inside of the tire and you glue or tape the tire to the rim. For clinchers the tire and tube are separate and the tire relies on the pressure from the tube to press the bead against the rim. Most people tend to use clinchers for training since tublars are more expensive to replace than just a tube for a clincher. For a dedicated race wheel (which you probably don;t need since you're just getting started) tubulars are the way to go since they ride nicer and are lighter (usually).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Adam,

I, too, came from a swimming/water polo background. The run is by far my worst discipline now, but when I first started, the bike was pretty dismal too. A couple things:

1.) all that mass in your legs (from hours of eggbeater drills) really does not translate into efficiency on the bike... the power is there, you just need to recondition your legs to only move in two dimentions as opposed to three.

2.) Make sure you ride with people who know what they are doing. Prior to my first tri, I mostly rode alone, because I knew no one else who had a road bike (everyone else were MTB'ers). My ability increased exponentially when I started going on group rides with triathletes and roadies alike. Suck a lot of wheel (draft) when you are first starting out. Learn things like pedaling efficiency and how to climb properly. Proper gearing is also important.

3.) One thing none of us "fishes" want to hear is that you don't win a race on the swim. Being first out of the water feels great as you run up the beach, but if it saps your energy for everything else (bike specifically) then you may have been better served by taking it a little easier and having more juice on the bike. That was a tough lesson for me to learn.

Good Luck,

Woody

Mike Hollywood
http://www.bostontriathlonteam.com
http://www.michaelhollywood.com
Quote Reply