Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Newbie looking forward to first tri
Quote | Reply
Hello all, I have been lurking for a while and posting randomly, but think is time to introduce myself.

I was running marathons until a few years ago, but became jaded and let myself go. Started looking for something to motivate to get back in shape , a few months ago and decided my goal will be an IM.

I had no bike so I went out to the LBS and after getting a prefit they recommended a felt b14, went ahead and bought the bike, also had a fit at the time of delivery. Also purchased a Garmin 920xt tri bundle, cadence and speed sensor, and more recently a Quarq, to monitor my progress.

Since then I have been working to get in shape to actually be able to follow a training plan. Over the past five months I have gone from a couch potato to swimming 1km 3 times a week, running 10km three times a week, and biking 30 miles once a week.

So now that I actually feel fit enough to follow a training plan for a race, is to commit to a race. I think an Olympic distance tri will be good to get into the sport. So I’m looking for a race early next year near southern AZ, a friend suggested lake Havasu in March.

I found an online training plant which fits my schedule:
http://www.trinewbies.com/...grams/tno_10wOly.asp
Plans are to get a coach after the Oly to start working for the IM, but I expect this will take sometime and there will be several shorter races before.
Last edited by: Art M.: Oct 27, 17 13:20
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie looking forward to first tri [Art M.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have fun. Save your money, you do not need a coach.

Do not make this a Type A activity. Just make it a fun lifestyle activity.

Good luck.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie looking forward to first tri [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats man! It's a fantastic sport. Never fall out of love with the training. The races come and go. If you don't love the training day in and day out, it'll get grating.

But congrats on getting into it! Consistency beats intermittent quality.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a lot of great info on this site and Ally great people. I was new to the Sport 4 years ago and took several years to Branch out in the long course. Take your time don't rush jumping into longer races you'll learn a s*** ton every time you do one of the shorter ones and enjoy the ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd guess your swim training is in a pool? I only mention it because you say it's your first, it's open water and it is early in the year. So there is less opportunity to get open water practice in. Swimming in open water, where you may be in a tight wetsuit, in a crowd all trying to get past each other can be quite an experience.

You might just sail through it or have done something similar before but it is worth thinking about. The lake I swim at will try and round up people to replicate a mass start. If you can find something like that it would probably be worth it. If your open water practice would be limited it might be worth thinking about an early season pool based tri and do a first open water later in the year when you can get open water specific training done in time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

So now that I actually feel fit enough to follow a training plan for a race, is to commit to a race. I think an Olympic distance tri will be good to get into the sport. So I’m looking for a race early next year near southern AZ, a friend suggested lake Havasu in March.
Plans are to get a coach after the Oly to start working for the IM, but I expect this will take sometime and there will be several shorter races before.[/quote]
If you plan on staying in the sport, don't feel like you need to rush yourself into an IM. I did Sprints for a year...OLYs the next year before I tried my first HIM and IM. Still focus on OlYs now after reaching my IM goals. If you are new to the sport, enjoy Sprints and OLYs for a while.....no need to rush into an IM unless your goal is a one and done....you will want to try and enjoy the experience. And as others have said, no need for a coach at this point. Lots of good info and advice here to get you started..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am new to the tri as well. I've been running, biking, and swimming for over 20 years and thought its time I actually compete in something. I've done a number of 5k/10ks from my days in CC and for fun but no real competing for about 10 yrs. My plan is to do a sprint this spring, evaluate whether I enjoy the competition or not, and see what's next from there. I've never trained for specifically for a tri but I do the mileage to mostly just jump in and have some fun. My biggest need is a bike because my mountain bike is not going to work. Otherwise I am adjusting my training a bit so that this March I will ready to go.

While I can't really offer you advice and do see other comments saying a coach is probably not the best investment...I mostly agree except I am not sure what your experience is (as in has your swimming ever been evaluated? Running? Biking?) if you are running wrong, have the wrong shoes, bad form, bad swim form, etc a coach could help you avoid injuries...so in that regard I think a coach is worth it. I have had so many injuries from sports throughout the years that good form is super high on my list of priorities so that I am still able to work out when I am an old man:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are a lot of good training plans on trainingpeaks. After a race or two, getting a coach is a good idea. I would also suggest TrainerRoad. It can help with pedaling and cadence. Other event options:

they put on great events and have pool swims.
http://trioyl.com/home/upcoming-events

this is in a lake, but very small so not intimidating. It should be in May of 2018.
http://adv.fit/sahuarita-triathlon/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Have fun. Save your money, you do not need a coach.
Good luck.

Thanks, my only experience with endurance sports are marathons, but an IM seems like a whole new animal, I was thinking a little guidance from a coach would help. I will re-evaluate after my first race, and see how I feel about it.
Last edited by: Art M.: Oct 30, 17 16:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
justinhorne wrote:
Congrats man! It's a fantastic sport. Never fall out of love with the training. The races come and go. If you don't love the training day in and day out, it'll get grating.
Thanks, I love exercising, once I get in the groove I can't stop. But I'm a goal oriented person, and need something to train for. I tend to be inconsistent when I don't have something to aim for.
Last edited by: Art M.: Oct 30, 17 16:43
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie looking forward to first tri [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
There's a lot of great info on this site and Ally great people. I was new to the Sport 4 years ago and took several years to Branch out in the long course. Take your time don't rush jumping into longer races you'll learn a s*** ton every time you do one of the shorter ones and enjoy the ride.
Thanks, I'm in no rush to jump into an IM before I'm ready. I'm sure I will enjoy the journey as much as the destination.
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie looking forward to first tri [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OddSlug wrote:
I'd guess your swim training is in a pool? I only mention it because you say it's your first, it's open water and it is early in the year. So there is less opportunity to get open water practice in. Swimming in open water, where you may be in a tight wetsuit, in a crowd all trying to get past each other can be quite an experience.

You might just sail through it or have done something similar before but it is worth thinking about. The lake I swim at will try and round up people to replicate a mass start. If you can find something like that it would probably be worth it. If your open water practice would be limited it might be worth thinking about an early season pool based tri and do a first open water later in the year when you can get open water specific training done in time.

Yes, training is in a pool. Patagonia lake is not far from me, I have a swimming wetsuit and plan going there a few times. I also scuba dive, so at least I know I can deal with the felling of open water.
As for the mass start, that is probably what I find most intimidating, hopefully I can find an open water clinic before my first race, or meet some people to get a feeling for it.
Also I am still looking at options, Havasu is one of the tempting ones. I will look into a pool based one as well, thanks for your insight
Last edited by: Art M.: Oct 30, 17 17:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Art M. wrote:
justinhorne wrote:
Thanks, I love exercising, once I get in the groove I can't stop. But I'm a goal oriented person, and need something to train for. I tend to be inconsistent when I don't have something to aim for.

One reason i race a lot. Always have a race to motivate me

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie looking forward to first tri [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gphin305 wrote:
If you plan on staying in the sport, don't feel like you need to rush yourself into an IM. I did Sprints for a year...OLYs the next year before I tried my first HIM and IM. Still focus on OlYs now after reaching my IM goals. If you are new to the sport, enjoy Sprints and OLYs for a while.....no need to rush into an IM unless your goal is a one and done....you will want to try and enjoy the experience. And as others have said, no need for a coach at this point. Lots of good info and advice here to get you started..

Definitely want to stay in the sport!, I look forward to the journey and learning from all of you.
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie looking forward to first tri [surferdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
surferdude wrote:
I am new to the tri as well. I've been running, biking, and swimming for over 20 years and thought its time I actually compete in something. I've done a number of 5k/10ks from my days in CC and for fun but no real competing for about 10 yrs. My plan is to do a sprint this spring, evaluate whether I enjoy the competition or not, and see what's next from there. I've never trained for specifically for a tri but I do the mileage to mostly just jump in and have some fun. My biggest need is a bike because my mountain bike is not going to work. Otherwise I am adjusting my training a bit so that this March I will ready to go.

While I can't really offer you advice and do see other comments saying a coach is probably not the best investment...I mostly agree except I am not sure what your experience is (as in has your swimming ever been evaluated? Running? Biking?) if you are running wrong, have the wrong shoes, bad form, bad swim form, etc a coach could help you avoid injuries...so in that regard I think a coach is worth it. I have had so many injuries from sports throughout the years that good form is super high on my list of priorities so that I am still able to work out when I am an old man:)

Your thinking along my lines...
My running has been evaluated, I'm an underpronator, I pick my shoes accordingly and use custom insoles.
The bike I have now is the only one I have had professionally fitted. After I have some stamina and get to a decent weight, I will go back have my form analyzed and the fit tweaked if necessary.
Swimming... this is where I want to focus. I learned to swim when I was a kid, but never done competitively. I think a coach to help me with my form before I ingrain bad habits should get me ahead of the curve.
Last edited by: Art M.: Oct 30, 17 17:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Have fun.

Good luck.

This is good advise. I wasn't born a Type A personality but the sport this year has added structure to my life... I was borderline reckless with my training and social life. At the end of the day, it is all about balance. Enjoy training. Race hard. Have (a) beer

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Last edited by: Im-a-miler: Oct 30, 17 18:17
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie looking forward to first tri [waythree11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
waythree11 wrote:
There are a lot of good training plans on trainingpeaks. After a race or two, getting a coach is a good idea. I would also suggest TrainerRoad. It can help with pedaling and cadence. Other event options:

they put on great events and have pool swims.
http://trioyl.com/home/upcoming-events

this is in a lake, but very small so not intimidating. It should be in May of 2018.
http://adv.fit/sahuarita-triathlon/

Thanks, those look like great options to get my feet wet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As far as your race goals, I'd start with at least one sprint, then an Olympic, then a half, then *maybe* a full. Build up carefully. Bear in mind each distance is double the previous one and takes twice as long as the previous one, so the delta of difficulty increases significantly as you move from short to long course. Training for a full ironman is a huge commitment in terms of personal time and lifestyle. I recall after doing a few sprints the Olympic distance still seemed pretty intimidating. My first oly was a bear! When I finally went for the half, it took me 3 attempts over 3 years to complete one to my satisfaction. Always respect the distance because it will make you it's beatch pretty much every time you race. I have yet to do a full due to the commitment and suffering required. Sounds like you are a marathoner so you know about suffering. Tri is a different kind of suffering. Getting used to open water swimming and running off the bike on dead legs were my biggest initial challenges. Good luck!

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote Reply