Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New wheels from HED
Quote | Reply
Given that HED is famous for not having a big marketing department, it should come as no surprise that HED has completely revised their Vanquish line and forgotten to tell anyone.

https://hedcycling.com/

I have a set of the old Vanquish 8s and they have been great wheels so I am excited to see them broaden the lineup.
Quote Reply
Re: New wheels from HED [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great wheels and made in USA. Too bad they don't get more attention.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks….great wheels. I have been riding nothing but HED wheels since 2010 when I stopped by their headquarters in Shoreview, MN to ask them about wheel tech and Steve himself came out of his office to answer all of my questions. A few years later, the whole family was at a local triathlon and I sat with them at the awards celebration where they donated product. We are so fortunate to have them close by. Great product and people!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like me some HED wheels, but the site provides near-zero information about the new wheels. The graph doesn't appear to include the old Vanquish wheels so there's not even a comparison vs. the outgoing model. Doesn't say if hooked or hookless...I'd have assumed hooked, but it also says 80PSI max, which sounds low for a hooked wheel. And that 80PSI is for 23mm. 75PSI for 25mm, 70PSI for 28-32.
Quote Reply
Re: New wheels from HED [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Like me some HED wheels, but the site provides near-zero information about the new wheels. The graph doesn't appear to include the old Vanquish wheels so there's not even a comparison vs. the outgoing model. Doesn't say if hooked or hookless...I'd have assumed hooked, but it also says 80PSI max, which sounds low for a hooked wheel. And that 80PSI is for 23mm. 75PSI for 25mm, 70PSI for 28-32.

I can’t imagine they would do hookless. They wouldn’t put a brake track on the Vanquish because the epoxy resin just wasn’t up to the weirdest of use cases. They Discouraged using latex tubes with the rim brake wheel and set recommend pressure on the Jets at 90 psi. As long as the HED family is involved, I don’t think you will ever see them compromise safety.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure, we can speculate all we want. They might as well put these basic facts up on the website

Quote:
don’t think you will ever see them compromise safety

The max tire pressure for the hookless Enve 4.5 is 80PSI @ 27mm. The max pressure for this Vanquish line for 28mm is even lower. 70PSI. Not optimal - maximum. Why do they have a lower max pressure than many hookless rims?

Curious to know, for safety and performance reasons, why.

Quote:
set recommend pressure on the Jets at 90 psi

Apparently 75PSI max for 25mm on those too now. For a 240lb person -max pressure 75PSI.

This doesn't sound great vs. @marcag's and others finding that for 25mm tires, the optimal pressure for World Tour Riders is higher than 80PSI...for guys way, way under 240lb.

Now if they're just moving to the @Slowman theory that 23/25mm is done, and life starts at 28mm now...maybe that makes sense. Except HED showed 25mm results for their new Vanquish aero charts....and they were faster than the results for 28mm.

Last edited by: trail: Apr 20, 24 9:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What’s different about the wheels? Were the pro series updated too?

blog
Quote Reply
Re: New wheels from HED [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i had dinner with annie and her crew day before yesterday. they have a booth at sea otter, a 10'x10' cramped with wheels and people. i was there yesterday and there were TWO managers of pro cycling teams - one a world tour team, the other a continental - and i think both might wish their riders were on HED but, alas, money.

the wheels looked great. to answer one question in this thread they have a high end emporia that's hookless. but that's a gravel wheel. i'll see if i can get some more info on the new vanquish and post it here.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Apr 20, 24 10:09
Quote Reply
Re: New wheels from HED [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
May I suggest an article for the front page? I would think that the Slowtwitch crowd is disproportionately riding HEDs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
May I suggest an article for the front page? I would think that the Slowtwitch crowd is disproportionately riding HEDs.
I second that motion!

Big fan of HED here as well, have multiple sets, on different bikes, and just this week got my customized rear disc delivered. Couldn’t be happier with how it turned out, the ease of the ordering (and customization) process, and the fact that this is a Made in the USA product. Great quality, awesome company!

I love rim brake bikes!
Quote Reply
Re: New wheels from HED [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i there were TWO managers of pro cycling teams - one a world tour team, the other a continental - and i think both might wish their riders were on HED but, alas, money.

Movistar was there ?

Sorry, couldn't resist
Last edited by: marcag: Apr 20, 24 13:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
trail wrote:

I can’t imagine they would do hookless. They wouldn’t put a brake track on the Vanquish because the epoxy resin just wasn’t up to the weirdest of use cases. They Discouraged using latex tubes with the rim brake wheel and set recommend pressure on the Jets at 90 psi. As long as the HED family is involved, I don’t think you will ever see them compromise safety.

On IG apparently Andy called out the fact : “we have hooks”.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been riding the new V8s since last summer and had a great ride on them at the 24 hour World TT champs riding 510 miles.

Visually nobody is going to be able see a difference even from several feet away.

They are hooked.

They are more blunt on the inside of the fairing.

Holding my new V6 and original V6 side by side most wouldn't see a visual difference.

There is almost certainly going to be more sweet info coming.

At 24 Hour Worlds I rode gp5000tt in 28. They measured 30+. I believe there will data showing 28 is more aero than 25.

More info coming.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: New wheels from HED [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
Slowman wrote:
i there were TWO managers of pro cycling teams - one a world tour team, the other a continental - and i think both might wish their riders were on HED but, alas, money.

Movistar was there ?

Sorry, couldn't resist

not movistar but good one anyway. chapeau ;-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: New wheels from HED [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
looks like both the vanquish and pro line were re-vamped. According the HED support, the difference is hubs, spokes and carbon layup between the two lines but both share the same shape, width etc.

looks like they include test data with 25mm and 28 mm tire.
Quote Reply
Re: New wheels from HED [iliketri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iliketri wrote:
looks like both the vanquish and pro line were re-vamped. According the HED support, the difference is hubs, spokes and carbon layup between the two lines but both share the same shape, width etc.

Interesting the numbers are a bit better with the 25mm
Quote Reply
Re: New wheels from HED [iliketri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah it looks like the 25mm is slightly more aero than the 28mm

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I miss my H3s
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
iliketri wrote:

Isn't this basically wheel/rim dependent? An old school box section rim is going to be as aero as the tire is narrow, at least until it's narrower than the rim. (People laugh about the days of 19mm tires at 150psi, but with the poor quality of the runner and box section rims I'm not entirely sure it was the worst possible choice)

Also this test is just aero. I thought it was largely agreed that narrower tires are *generally* more aero but roll slightly slower, and it's a speed dependent equation for which is faster on any given surface.
Quote Reply
Re: New wheels from HED [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:
marcag wrote:
iliketri wrote:

Isn't this basically wheel/rim dependent? An old school box section rim is going to be as aero as the tire is narrow, at least until it's narrower than the rim. (People laugh about the days of 19mm tires at 150psi, but with the poor quality of the runner and box section rims I'm not entirely sure it was the worst possible choice)

Also this test is just aero. I thought it was largely agreed that narrower tires are *generally* more aero but roll slightly slower, and it's a speed dependent equation for which is faster on any given surface.

These days everyone claims to be "optimised for a 28mm" tire. Yet this one is faster with 25, Just marginally, but I still find it interesting. They released their data. Zipp chose not to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
These days everyone claims to be "optimised for a 28mm" tire. Yet this one is faster with 25, Just marginally, but I still find it interesting. They released their data. Zipp chose not to.

“Optimised for” apparently never meant “fastest with”. Back in the days when the journey to ever wider rims / wheels began, a HED jet C2 was faster with a 20 mm tire than with a 23 mm one. Same for first generation ZIPP FC.
Quote Reply
Re: New wheels from HED [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:

Has their been any data or consensus that the bolded part is true? My understanding for a relatively smooth road (typical tri/tt course), a 28mm rolls about the same as a 25 mm when you optimize the tire pressures for the given road conditions. Hence, you would run a 28mm tire at a lower pressure than a 25 mm given same wheel and tire model. Ultimately, Crr comes to be about the same between the 2 tires for that given road.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: New wheels from HED [BergHugi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BergHugi wrote:
Quote:

“Optimised for” apparently never meant “fastest with”. Back in the days when the journey to ever wider rims / wheels began, a HED jet C2 was faster with a 20 mm tire than with a 23 mm one. Same for first generation ZIPP FC.

Or rather "optimised" never meant "most aero." Fastest is a different thing.

I did one IM race with the original HED3's and 19mm tires. NEVER. AGAIN. I had to lie down in T2 for 10 minutes to stop the buzzing throughout my body. Granted this was St. George chipseal. It took me 3 months after that race before I could even look at a bike again.

But since then went to 23mm/25mm rear, taking the aero hit vs. 19mm, but I'm quite confident an overall improvement in bike leg and TT performance.

Now eyeballing 28mm. Out of an interest in "system speed," not the optimization of single metrics.
Last edited by: trail: Apr 23, 24 11:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish I knew this was coming before getting new race wheels from HED over the winter for my new disc-brake bike.

I would have liked the wider internal rim width and slightly deeper profiles.

oh well.

---------------------------------
T. Guertin / Spocket
Quote Reply
Re: New wheels from HED [spocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you bought v6 or V8 you almost certainly have the new wheels. Just not the new decals :)

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply

Prev Next